It was meant to be an idyllic holiday retreat...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who has house guests?

There are two sorts of house guests by the way: those who arrive, roll up their sleeves and say "What can we do to help?", and those who arrive and say "What can you do for us?" The latter are to be discouraged by suggestions of stinking drains, rats etc. The former welcomed with open arms and tool boxes and loads of booze!

[quote user="Bugbear"]They just sound, to me, reading between the lines, like two 'yuppie' muppets from 'the smoke', with more money than sense. .[/quote]

They sound to me like people who thought that buying a holiday home was a good idea, but now find it's not everything they expected, and are not ashamed to admit they made a mistake.

Unlike the obviously far superior intellects who inhabit the France forums...

I've just been talking to some english people who passed while jogging and have a holiday house nearby.

They must have only spent about 3 weeks here in the last year, but there has been an endless stream of workmens' lorries outside their house in the meantime. So they must have spent a fortune on it. And an elderly french couple in the village are the paid guardians of the house.

Still, all extra work for the locals  [:D]

[quote user="Will"]

[quote user="Bugbear"]They just sound, to me, reading between the lines, like two 'yuppie' muppets from 'the smoke', with more money than sense. .[/quote]

They sound to me like people who thought that buying a holiday home was a good idea, but now find it's not everything they expected, and are not ashamed to admit they made a mistake.

Unlike the obviously far superior intellects who inhabit the France forums...

[/quote]

See where you're heading Will, but have they actually said "they made a mistake" or are they just blaming everyone else for their shortsighted lack of planning, budgeting etc?

I’m with you Will. They ventured and explored their dreams’,

the reality of living in France

was their downfall.

They didn’t fail, by

the opinion and standards of others; they fulfilled and had an

experience most people can only envy.

The truth is, they were not inextricably trapped in the web

of their dreams and  could, and did, escape back to reality.

Bon Voyage

[quote user="ausibattler"]The truth is they were not inextricably trapped in the web of their dream and they could, and did, escape back to reality.[/quote]

But not before she penned a 'novelette', Bordeaux Housewives, several copies of which are available on Amazon for 1p (one penny)...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bordeaux-Housewives-Daisy-Waugh/dp/0007168209/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248008949&sr=1-1

[quote user="Cathy"]

But not before she penned a 'novelette', Bordeaux Housewives, several copies of which are available on Amazon for 1p (one penny)...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bordeaux-Housewives-Daisy-Waugh/dp/0007168209/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248008949&sr=1-1

[/quote]

Well fancy that!!  I'd seen the article before I looked here and saw this thread, and thought, yet another lot who think owning a French property is a bed of roses.  But now I see the whole purpose - yet more journalistic fodder.

However, it "might" put off some of the continuing idiots who act before thinking, or even doing the basic research !!!!

[quote user="ausibattler"]the reality of living in France

was their downfall.[/quote]

Living in France?

The article is about a holiday home...

"That year [...] we had spent about €20,000 on the house and spent exactly

10 days inside it.
"

The comments below the article are worth a read.

Have a look at the Amazon link to the book that she wrote whilst (probably not) in Provence, especially the scathing reader reviews. If the book is anything like the newspaper article I am not surprised.

Her article reminded me very much of another yummy mummy writer with a double barreled name and a husband called Rupert IIRC that claimed to have  left France for Dubai because "the shopping is better there darling".

I do hope that it is in fact one and the same person and that there arent more of the same ilk.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

Have a look at the Amazon link to the book that she wrote whilst (probably not) in Provence, especially the scathing reader reviews. If the book is anything like the newspaper article I am not surprised.

Her article reminded me very much of another yummy mummy writer with a double barreled name and a husband called Rupert IIRC that claimed to have  left France for Dubai because "the shopping is better there darling".

I do hope that it is in fact one and the same person and that there arent more of the same ilk.

[/quote]

JJ, this is NOT the same person as Helena Frith Powell.

This person's house is (was?) in Rochefort (Dept 17).  I saw adverts for tenants and thought the rent looked ridiculously high.

Combe Florey, however, looked delightful (only seen it from the outside, so not dropping names) and I used to walk past it when I used to stay at the Health Farm across the road from it.

Auberon Waugh (despite his many faults) was an entertaining writer.  Can't say the same for this Daisy Waugh.