Timescale - getting tax back from UK

Nell

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="krusty"]Thanks S17 , as mine is now 8 months with no result , I  might try your route .[/quote]

And as we are at the 6 months and counting point, I shall watch your progress with great interest ... always with an eye on what we will need to do next to achieve a satisfactory result.

Sue

I just phoned the Bootle office , they told me they are now working 4 months behind.

The copy FD5 I sent was logged in on the 11th Aug so I should get to know soon.

I am expecting them to say "sorry we do not accept copies , go back to square one , do not pass GO , do not collect a tax refund"

Well you have to laugh [:D]

Some additional information , my wife gets a small pension from royal mail and pays no tax on it (yes it is that small) however next Aug she will get her state pension and this will take her to an amount to be taxed on. So I thought I better get her FD5 sent in due to the time delays.I thought I would try the email route to see how her claim was going.

I sent an email this morning and got the usual automated reply saying it could take 5 days to answer , an hour later I got an answer .The certified copy had been received from the French tax office on the 30th Oct (I only sent it on the 20th Oct) and would be processed within 5 weeks.

I don't know if it is because no refund is involved , but the processing time quoted is much better than my phone call this morning re my claim.

Hopefully my wife's tax code will now be in order ready for next year.

Another related question: Ive just handed in my FD5 at the tax office in Mirande, and they seemed to know what it was and what to do with it.

Suppose I do eventually get a tax refund from the UK, will I then get a bill from the french Impots, backdated to when we became residents? Assuming that we will then be within the taxpaying range.  

As did our tax office in Cahors when we handed in our France Individual forms back in August. Hadn't heard from Nottingham by the beginning of this month so rang them 2 days ago.  They called back this morning to say they had never received our forms from Paris, so we have spent the day pursuing it down the line from Cahors to Paris, who confirmed the forms had been dispatched to Nottingham, together with others, presumably from other parts of France, on 22nd September.  Paris even told us the listing numbers of our forms on the attached 'bordereau'.  Nottingham are adamant they never received them, so maybe there are others of you on this forum, whose forms were in this same batch, which have been lost between Paris & Nottingham. Call the Centre des Impots des non-residents on 01 57 33 88 88 (switchboard) and explain the matter relates to the 'formulaire France-Particulier'.  By the way, Bootle only handle people on 'self assessment', Notts tell us.

[quote user="Patf"]

Another related question: Ive just handed in my FD5 at the tax office in Mirande, and they seemed to know what it was and what to do with it.

Suppose I do eventually get a tax refund from the UK, will I then get a bill from the french Impots, backdated to when we became residents? Assuming that we will then be within the taxpaying range.  

[/quote]

Hi Patf,

If you have been declaring your income here for 7 yrs and not paying tax then you are probably under the french tax limit and the fact that you receive a rebate from the UK makes no difference. If you have been making a declaration here that did not give details of all your income--what have you been declaring?

[quote user="Patf"]

We have been declaring everything, but what I meant was, we will then be due to be taxed on my govt. pension plus a small private pension of husband's.

In all about 600€ a month.

[/quote]

If by govt. pension you mean a pension paid in respect of employment for local or central govt. services that will always be taxed in the UK.

If you mean state retirement (old age) pension that will be liable to tax here but you are unlikely to pay any. With a total income of less than about 18900 € p.a( for the couple)you would pay no tax (last years figures). 

[quote user="krusty"]

Strange the Bootle phone number is printed on the front page of the FD5 as the number to use ?

0044 151 210 2222

[/quote]

Once again 

I agree.  Guess that's just a 'gateway' to one of the HMRC phone

exchanges with extensions in Nottingham & maybe elsewhere  - 

commonplace in large organizations from my experience.

Just to reassure those casual browsers out there, that the system can work as designed,  this week we received the "official" claim acknowledgement from Nottingham Revenue and Customs, saying future payments would be net of UK tax and a "payable order would be sent shortly". Great news. It took however, almost exactly six months from sending off the FD5's with the tax forms, all to the local Tax Office (Agen), in May this year.  No chasers or direct to Paris etc.

Interesting to note that this tax office is now called "Charity, Assets & Residence Residency". The charity bit seems especially appropriate!

BobDee  

[quote user="BobDee"]

Just to reassure those casual browsers out there, that the system can work as designed,  this week we received the "official" claim acknowledgement from Nottingham Revenue and Customs, saying future payments would be net of UK tax and a "payable order would be sent shortly". Great news. It took however, almost exactly six months from sending off the FD5's with the tax forms, all to the local Tax Office (Agen), in May this year.  No chasers or direct to Paris etc.

Interesting to note that this tax office is now called "Charity, Assets & Residence Residency". The charity bit seems especially appropriate!

BobDee  

[/quote]

Not so reassuring for me. I handed in my forms last may and the Nottingham office are still saying they haven't received them.

cheminot

It is all very well setting up the system for the first time - one has to request interest on tax to be refunded every year.

The office at Nottingham is easy to talk to, but hugely overworked, about 3 months to get a refund for part of my tax paid. And it has to be done twice a year, as banks send out tax certs at different times. I claim by letter, sending copies of tax certs, as advised after Nottingham 'lost' everything the other year!

Having phoned both Paris office and Nottingham I am confident that my FD5 has been binned or shredded, most likely on the english side.

I therefore made more copies and took them to the Impots and asked them if they would stamp them and let me send them direct to Nottingham. At first they refused, saying they must be sent via Paris but when I explained that Paris had processed the originals and that they had been 'lost' in the UK they were so delighted with the idea that 'les anglaises' were at fault that they processed them immediately and gave them back to me.

One interesting thing came out of my conversation with the Nottingham office was that they asked me to send P60's for the period I have been resident in France (this is pension income) to enable them to process the refund. I was suprised by this as they are not asked for in the notes accompanying the forms but I was assured they would need them. Has anyone else been asked for these?

One small piece of additional information, this number bypasses the switchboard at the Paris Center des impots des non-residents:- 01 57 33 82 13.

cheminot

Yipeeeeee - 4 months later and I have got my refund (Well nearly - I have got the letter to explain how the figures are calculated and that the money has been paid into my nominated bank account. Looking at my bank account on-line, yes, it tells me the money has been paid into my account but will not be available until the 15th [8-)]    I thought a transfer of funds was available right away, only a cheque needed to be cleared, but obviously that is not correct if the transfer is from the tax man [:-))]

Anyone else still waiting - Keep pestering them....