Taxman gets tough on quitting Britain

Jay

"You should also .................................. transfer any main bank accounts outside the UK and give up any mobile phone contracts."

[:-))]

edit: Mind you, if they handle this in the same way as theyve handled the long-running tax-coding f*ck-up, I don't think too many people should panic.

Ultimately the taxman may have to give ground on those compulsorily taxed at source in UK. They can't have it both ways; either you are or are not resident for tax purposes. But given the cunnent climate of tax witch hunt, I doubt you should hold your breath.

They are mixing the rules on residence, ordinary residence and domicile by the look of it and cherry picking what suits them to screw tax out of people unfairly.

Reading that article rang many bells,   as the advice given as to how to shed British residency is exactly what my parents were told 25 years ago when they went into this matter.

My mother was unable to attend her mother's funeral subsequently, for tax reasons.   It caused a great deal of misery and heart-ache.

Seems perhaps that many people had wrongly assumed that the British tax authorities had "gone to sleep".

[quote user="woolybanana"]Ultimately the taxman may have to give ground on those compulsorily taxed at source in UK. They can't have it both ways; either you are or are not resident for tax purposes. But given the cunnent climate of tax witch hunt, I doubt you should hold your breath.

They are mixing the rules on residence, ordinary residence and domicile by the look of it and cherry picking what suits them to screw tax out of people unfairly.[/quote]

I agree that there  many people who have completely left the UK by all the criteria in that article, but who are compulsorily taxed at source in UK, and that the tax-man is having it both ways..

But if they've shed their British tax residence and are paying tax in some other administration then can't they set off the tax-at-source levied in Britain against their "local" tax bill?

And the same would apply the other way round n'est ce pas,   that say you were taxed at source in France you would set off that tax-already-paid against your British tax bill?

I may have missed something of course.....

THe most incompetant department in the Government!!! Just what I need this morning ,after 7 tax returns as a resident in France and virtually every tax office in the UK having many many files of forms and letters ,I had a letter this morning with about the 12th or more form to complete asking when I was leaving the UK? My reply nearly caught fire while I was writing it.No doubt it will cool down in the average 12 weeks in somebody's in-tray before it's binned, again.You never seem to be able to escape their clutches unless you are the biggest crook,scrounger or drug dealer going.

Your last sentence Gastines is so true of all aspects of life in Britain now.

Amongst the people I know (maybe not a representative lot,  I dunno) there is this palpable sense of sheer *unfairness* about almost everything we have to be involved in in Britain.   The baddies (of all sorts,  criminals,  finance twisters,  scroungers,  many MPs,  useless box-tickers,  inspectors (well they're not exactly baddies I concede) etc) seem to be looking ever more comfortable while the rest of us are ground ever further down.

I'm fed up,  but as I have a pre-existing medical condition moving to France is not an easy option,   and in addition many of our friends who have made a real "go" (and a legal non-black go at that) at setting themselves up in France are having now to sell and come back,   particularly skilled artisans whose work has simply dried up thanks to Gordon Brown's trashing of the £. There is a lot of tragedy and hardship going on at the moment,    which doesn't seem to be particularly accurately reflected on this forum - maybe perhaps because most of the people in trouble haven't got the time to post.   Maybe it's my imagination and I look at the wrong threads!

Sad,  sad times.

[quote user="Bugsy"]"You should also .................................. transfer any main bank accounts outside the UK and give up any mobile phone contracts."

[:-))]

edit: Mind you, if they handle this in the same way as theyve handled the long-running tax-coding f*ck-up, I don't think too many people should panic.

[/quote]

And how are they going to define "main" bank account - especailly as I suspect that nearly all ex-pats keep a UK bank account, for convenience or just because income is still received in sterling.  For myself, sensibly I would have thought it was quite easy to see where the main banking is done - by the direct debits (for example) for utilities.  But perhaps I'm being too simplisitic here. 

This is a re-hash of a topic and a case that was dealt with recently here.

Frankly, unless you are a Seychelles-resident multi-millionaire trying to evade paying British tax, it's hardly likely to affect you.

If you are looking for a taxation regime that treats hard-working, low-earning, honest taxpayers badly then just such a system exists in LBF. If you feel HMRC is acting unfairly, then find somewhere other than France to emigrate.

[quote user="Gastines"]You never seem to be able to escape their clutches unless you are the biggest crook,scrounger or drug dealer going.[/quote]

I received  a quite surprising letter from them in 2006 which I have taken very literally at face value.

Dear Mr ................

We have looked at your tax return and do not propose to send you returns in the future. [B][B]

However if there are any changes in your financial circumstances.......... blah blah blah etc - you must let us know straight away.......... blah blah blah etc it is your responsibility to tell us about this...............

Please keep this letter so you can check whether you should start completing returns again............

Yours sincerely

then no name or signature

Area director (Service) whatever that means.

As you can imagine I keep good care of this [:D]

I am not sure which of the three categories you state I come under or whether I am the biggest but clearly I am in good company [;-)]

I note that the Government is withdrawing it's 100% guarantee on money deposited in Northern Rock in 3 months time. The FSA £50k still applies. Big queues tomorrow then?Just to keep "Will "happy I have 2 computer read-outs from the Nat,Ins. giving all payments made for my pension.Starting at 15 yrs old. When I queried certain entries I was sent another computer read-out giving 6 different entries plus a letter saying rip up the other one as these are quite often incorrect? Fills you with confidence doesn't it?

I phoned the taxman up recently to say I was due an increased tax allowance which hadn't yet been applied. Within just a few days a new tax coding arrived, along with a letter telling me how much tax rebate I was due through my occupational pension. My pension was paid into the bank two days ago with the rebate as stated. I've never ever had such good service from the taxman. [:D]

Having read Chancer's post, I'm now hoping that next year I'll get a similar letter saying I won't need to fill in another tax return. Even though it's filled in online I still dread it all. It would be really good news and worth cracking open a bottle of bubbly if it were ever to happen! [:D][:D]

[quote user="P2"]I totally agree with what the HMRC are doing. How else will HM Government pay for those who arrive from who knows where and are given housing and benefits - aided and abetted by Brussels.[/quote]

Who cares ?

This thread is about French finance and legal issues.

What is the relevance of what is happening in the UK,

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="P2"][/quote]
Who cares ?

[/quote]

Dont you mean this section of the forum Norman?

The title and the first posting are not about France.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="P2"]I totally agree with what the HMRC are doing. How else will HM Government pay for those who arrive from who knows where and are given housing and benefits - aided and abetted by Brussels.[/quote]

Who cares ?

[/quote]

I agree, perhaps P2 would care to comment.