greetings and sign-offs in emails

menthe

Phoning any sort of organisation is more or less a no-no these days because you press what you guess are the correct buttons and you get to the switchboard-of-multiple choices yet again.  As for getting to speak to a person who has the answer to your questions, that requires superhuman efforts of persistence and patience.

Of course, you can cross your fingers and write an email.

That is not always a solution but, in the absence of anything else, you do write emails marking them high priority.

The problem then is how do you address an organisation rather than someone with a name?  It's easy in French as a simple "bonjour" does the trick.

In English, however, we usually like to write Mr Mrs Ms or Name plus Surname, don't we?  Nowadays I write "hello".

Similarly, to sign-off is simple in French, "cordialement" does nicely.

I notice that in English, people seem to write "kind regards".  I don't feel able to write kind regards when I am frustrated and complaining about something.  Plus I don't give kind regards to people I don't know.  "Sincerely" seems gloriously old-fashioned.  These days I translate from the French and write "cordially".

I'd like to know what others write as greetings and sign-offs?

We have been in touch via e-mail with URSSAF - again!! Don't ask.........😀

They took 3 weeks to reply, as usual, to just one simple question.

You're right Menthe about signing off. To have to put the more traditional business type ending of " veuillez recevoir Monsieur/Madame mes salutations distinguées" does not reflect my thoughts at all as I am hitting the keyboard harder than usual, finishing off with resounding thump on the return/send button. (Often accompanied by a selection of verbal expletives)

The sign off I would like to use would not be published on this forum, and wouldn't win me any friends at URSSAF😄

In French, as you say, Bonjour generally works, unless it is a formal letter and then there are a million and one formal options, depending on the circumstances.  And again, in a casual French contact, I sign off with Cordialement.  Formal letters, the same million and one options apply.

In English, I usually type Dear Sir/Madame (although these days, that might be considered politically incorrect...).  Although I'd have a hard time typing Dear Sir, Madame, He, She or It.  I'll sign off with Sincerely in most cases.  Regards in some.

Yes, always be polite, which doesn't mean to say you couldn't put a bit of bite into your message.

Merci de ne pas retarder la réponse.  That sort of urges things along a bit.

Or in English, I would greatly appreciate your rapid response.