How highly do you rate French food ?

17 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

Now ALBF, I can't let you get away with that.

A cursory look at trip advisor and I've found 'Le Chaperon Rouge' in Avenue de Grammont, Tours which, amongst other things, has a children's menu for 10 euros which consists of a galette or steak hache/chips, a drink, and a crepe or an ice cream. Their most expensive galette which contains foie gras and smoked duck costs 18 euros. If your family of 5 contains three adults who all had the most expensive item on the menu you'd still have 26 euros left over for drinks.

Hmmm……Avenue de Grammont ?…..eek 

🤔

Not a street I would go down personally.

3 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

That street is kinda drug gang land. 

Well I tell you what ALBF. It's been a while since I've been to Tours. How about I plan a visit in the next couple of months, try out the creperie, and ( if I get out alive ) let you know whether or not the galettes are worth donning the flak jackets for?

20 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

Well I tell you what ALBF. It's been a while since I've been to Tours. How about I plan a visit in the next couple of months, try out the creperie, and ( if I get out alive ) let you know whether or not the galettes are worth donning the flak jackets for?

https://creperie-la-flambee.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

Best creperie in France

Prices in France, no matter where, have gone up since Covid.  I am talking about local restos, as is NormanH, in our village, though his "village" is a rather large town with more choice of restos.  The portion sizes have also got smaller too, other than the huge steaks, full of fat, which we (OH and I) would not eat.  Our favourite restaurant, now changed hands, as the children grew, he left for the big city, I know cooked almost everything chez lui, but even he admitted he bought in his beautifully thin chips and ice cream, probably from Brakes, because his kitchen was not large enough to house the machines to make them.  It's what they do with them that matters.  He bought the rest himself.  Personally, I prefer to pay a little bit extra and get quality food, portion size is not everything.  It is now a tapas type restaurant, very popular, good quality food, homemade, tasty but not particularly cheap either.  It's quite small when the outside terrace is not in use, as now, but usually pretty full, even so.  And these are locals, not tourists as this time of year.

On 16/01/2024 at 12:01, alittlebitfrench said:

When we caught the night sleeper from Euston to Scotland we ate at a pub/ restaurant in the station.

sorry to resurrect an old thread but I happen to be in London and looking for somewhere to eat tomorrow night.

ALBF you wouldn't pm me the name of your pub would you?

Returning to the topic, I think that veggies are sadly missing from most offerings, at least around here, apart from frites or pâte

The closest we've been given recently was a spoonful or so of pale green mush, presumably of vegetable origin, at a well-know restaurant on the main road near Castelnaudary.

9 hours ago, DaveLister said:

sorry to resurrect an old thread but I happen to be in London and looking for somewhere to eat tomorrow night.

ALBF you wouldn't pm me the name of your pub would you?

PM’d you.

If you don’t receive it, it is ‘The Signal Box’ at Euston station.

It is located upstairs from the main concourse.

9 hours ago, ssomon said:

Returning to the topic, I think that veggies are sadly missing from most offerings, at least around here, apart from frites or pâte

The closest we've been given recently was a spoonful or so of pale green mush, presumably of vegetable origin, at a well-know restaurant on the main road near Castelnaudary.

Screenshot from 2024-01-20 08-05-37.png