breadmakers: how long do they last?

menthe

2 hours ago, Lehaut said:

Lidl own make.  200gms wholemeal flour, 40gms Sarrazin,  300gm francine seed flour, plus 60 gms seeds plus wheatgerm.

Seriously "healthy" bread then, Lehaut?😁  Hope you and Mrs L are also seriously healthy from eating some bread that is so wholesome.

I have noted down your recipe and, when I have my new breadmaker, I shall be trying it out.  Thanks.

• Like 1

OK, un update.

My tensiometre (OMRON) came this morning and I tried it out.

Lori, as I have said before I was worried about the cuff size starting at 22 cm and my upper arm measuring 20 cm.  Fortunately, when I put it on and pull it to its smallest, it fits fine.

Also, there is an icon on the screen that tells you if the cuff is tight enough and that had an OK sign.

That was the good news!😄

The bad news is, on averaging out 3 readings, it came out 155/93.  It's not the worst reading I have ever had and I am not too concerned because it's mid morning, I have exercised and eaten my breakfast.

Just to recap:  30 minutes before, NO to

alcohol

smoking

shower

hot drinks

food

exercise

Well that's what the label says!  Good measuring everyone!

For me the real mccoy starts tomorrow morning and measuring for 3 days, taking care to fill in Martin's form; yessir!

Nearly forgot to mention to Martin.  I just switched from morning to evening.  Didn't take it one morning and then took it that night and every night since.  My medication is half a tablet a day so I wouldn't like to advice anyone to change without speaking to their doctor firs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, menthe said:

Lori, as I have said before I was worried about the cuff size starting at 22 cm and my upper arm measuring 20 cm.  Fortunately, when I put it on and pull it to its smallest, it fits fine.

Also, there is an icon on the screen that tells you if the cuff is tight enough and that had an OK sign.

I thought your concern was regarding ease of use.  Until I read the article, I didn't realize your concern may have been about getting accurate readings.

Our machine also tells you if the cuff is not properly adjusted.  It won't work if it isn't adjusted to its liking.  It was new to me that mis-sized cuffs even existed (or that cuff sizes could be different) or that they would give inaccurate readings if mis-sized.

Good to know.  Glad your new cuff fits.

Yes cuffs can vary in size and do make a difference to a reading,bigger cuff lower reading,(if it isn’t actually your size) Obviously it’s easier to put a big cuff on than a small one with wrong sizes.If you think your cuff maybe too big,it might be worth seeing if there’s paediatric ones available comparable with your machine 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had my trusty breadmaker for about 5 years now, and it's still going strong! But I've noticed that the quality of the bread can sometimes be influenced by the ingredients, especially the yeast. Maybe it's worth experimenting with different brands or even trying natural yeast? Also, for those having issues with their machines, before tossing them out, consider checking if it's just a minor part that needs replacing. Saved me a couple of times!

No, nothing wrong with my old machine and the new one seems to have the same problems.  Have tried different yeasts and even different makes of flour.

I used to use Dove Farm yeast and the bread rose to hit the roof of the machine.  Not sure I can get it in France, otherwise will have to wait till summer visitors from the UK.

• 5 weeks later...

Update on breadmakers in case someone out there is having non-rise problems.

Browsing through Amazon (still looking to see which smartphone) I came across Doves Farm yeast, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.  They had a special offer of no postage.

Well the pack came really quickly, about 5 days perhaps.  Today, I decided to have a go, using my old machine to see what would happen.  Indeed the bread rose OK, NOT as high as previously but then the machine was on the tiled floor in the room downstairs which I call my petit boudoir when I want to sit and read undisturbed, or more usually, the fridge room because that is where the fridge freezer lives.

What I have read is that the ambiant temperature can have an effect of the bread rising or not.  So I plan to have another go, bringing the machine up to the kitchen and positioning it on the work surface.

After all that, I'll try the new machine for which I now have new blades thanks to Harnser finding them on ebay.

So, guys, watch this space!

Cajal, I hope your petite intervention is over and done with and you are as good as new?

On 23/11/2023 at 17:51, menthe said:

Cajal, I hope your petite intervention is over and done with and you are as good as new?

If only. Thanks for your thoughts and kind words, much appreciated. Following the procedure at the start of September, my well-being improved and grew daily, where at mid to the end of October I was beginning to believe I'd morphed into a combination of Johnny Weissmuller and Kirk Alyn! 

However, come November I underwent a rapid decline back to my pre-op status, which is where I find myself today. I am at the moment awaiting a call from the surgeon who performed the procedure regarding the way forward following my conversation yesterday afternoon at the 3-month follow-up, at my cardiolog's cabinet.

Regarding the under performing bakes in the breadmaker, my wife reduced the amount of salt she added, and the result was bread attempting to raise the lid. ☺️

Oh cajal, I am indeed sorry to hear about your continuing health problems.  What can I say?  Words are just that, words...

The only thing is, as they managed to improve your condition the first time around, they might be able to produce a more lasting result should they go on to have another attempt or perhaps do another procedure that will work better?

I wish you all the very best going forward.  Maybe you should wait a bit and let him practise on some other people before having another go on you?  I'm only half serious as I know you'd rather have a joke than mournful commiseration.

Thanks for the tip about the salt.  This last loaf was OK, not as good as it used to be but actually very enjoyable after months of bought bread and chewing through bagettes since our boulangerie reopened with a new baker.

Can't wait for next week when I get two new crowns and can make bread with darker and crispier crusts.  Told OH, I would be buying a large bag of crinkly-cut and very crunchy crisps😜

On 25/10/2023 at 12:36, menthe said:

No, nothing wrong with my old machine and the new one seems to have the same problems.  Have tried different yeasts and even different makes of flour.

I used to use Dove Farm yeast and the bread rose to hit the roof of the machine.  Not sure I can get it in France, otherwise will have to wait till summer visitors from the UK.

I had never heard of Doves Farm yeast so looked it up - it's made in France !!

https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/products/quick-yeast-1x125g       Click on ingredients  = Made in France

I usually use Allinsons yeast.

Brilliant!  Should be easier to get hold of then?

Why on earth they sell Francine, Champion, Vahine, etc etc is beyond me.  The Doves Farm produces noticeably better results.

I gave half a pack to a French friend who bakes a lot and she was amazed and delighted by the results she was getting.

Has anybody seen this yeast sold in France APART from Amazon.fr?

Just looked at your link, Harnser.  ONE pound 51?  I paid 7€99 and thought I was getting a bargain because I caught it when it was free delivery for 2 days only on Amazon.

Just goes to show, they were making hundreds of percentage worth of profits!

Still, even if I had known the "real" price, I would have bought it....easier and cheaper than throwing out a breadmaker!

PS, the package did come from the UK complete with declaration of weight and cost.

OK this is my last word on this topic because I must be boring everybody to death.

Bread, using the old machine, but now upstairs in the kitchen and not on the cold tiled floor in the sous-sol, is just as I'd remembered.  Mixture of white flour, artisanal wholemeal flour and aux céréales flour plus Doves Farm yeast.

Tastes as good as it looks, very nice texture and I have chosen medium crust.

Thanks for all contributions and advice on this topic