Buying 2 stroke petrol

Robson

Hello, I live in France, and I have been asked to buy 5litres or 10 litres 2-stroke petrol for a Brit who is coming over here  to stay at his holiday home. I've agreed, but to be honest I'm not quite sure what 2-stroke petrol would be called in French, nor where to find it.

9 hours ago, Robson said:

Hello, I live in France, and I have been asked to buy 5litres or 10 litres 2-stroke petrol for a Brit who is coming over here  to stay at his holiday home. I've agreed, but to be honest I'm not quite sure what 2-stroke petrol would be called in French, nor where to find it.

It's deux temps.  I use a lot of 2 stroke for various machines and make my own. It's very simple and I'm not even sure it can be bought ready mixed. Did your friend say what ratio he wanted 25:1  50:1 for example?  There are different grades for different machines.Your friend shouldn't have any problem whatsoever, providing he knows the ratio he wants.  Just buy the petrol ( at a garage) and the 2 strike oil (at any DIY store) and mix whatever ratio is required. The different ratios are usually printed on the 2 stroke oil container.

If you want to buy ready mix you can normally get Aspen at a local Bricolage or Stihl at an agent. It's more expensive than mixing your own but remains stable for two years. I tend to get a bidon at the end of the season just to finish up so that I don't end up with a tank full of old fuel. Ask your friend what he'd prefer.

https://www.ruralmaster.fr/cohade/lubrifiants-carburants/33237-carburant-2-temps-5l-aspen-7330045973001.html

If you are going to mix your own two-stroke fuel, don't use E5 or E10 essence it has ethanol in it.

Use SP 98 which has little or no ethanol in it and will remain stable for a long time.

The best one to use is Total Excellium Sp 98.

From caradisiac car forum

"Hello, I am 98 excellium exclusively in my cars and my garden equipment.

- no pure ethanol which attacks the seals and which makes the mixture turn.

-good conservation over time, no deposit.

- 2-stroke engine that runs better at high revs (11500rpm) and starts better when cold"

• 10 months later...
On 03/02/2023 at 06:45, Ken said:

It's deux temps.  I use a lot of 2 stroke for various machines and make my own. It's very simple and I'm not even sure it can be bought ready mixed. Did your friend say what ratio he wanted 25:1  50:1 for example?  There are different grades for different machines.Your friend shouldn't have any problem whatsoever, providing he knows the ratio he wants.  Just buy the petrol ( at a garage) and the 2 strike oil (at any DIY store) and mix whatever ratio is required. The different ratios are usually printed on the 2 stroke oil container.

Is the machine unleaded or leaded fuel fed? If you use the wrong fuel or mix or not you can cause the engine valves to burn out