Nice, congenial small town recommendation, please

mint

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Castres or Mazamet, in the southern Tarn?  We have the most beautiful countryside in France (go on, prove me wrong![:D]), only 2 hours or so from the coast, or Spain or Andorra, plus a train service to Toulouse.  Winters can be cold, but short.  Summers have a hot central spell.  The rest can be delightful.  There are good cultural activities about, if that floats your boat, and life is led at an appealingly more-than-usually-relaxed pace.

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Judith, I don't know this place but I have now added it to my list.

All I know about Agen is that there's where the prunes come from!

[/quote]

Indeed they do, and very nice too, esp when picked from your own tree !!!!  [which we had in 47 - but the last storm did it in unfortunately]

Moving somewhere is of course different than just visiting. A lot of people tell you to 'get stuck in' with the France and we are doing our best, but sometimes the only way to feel human on a Friday night is to go and have a few beers and speak English for a bit. I would not want to live somewhere where there were no English - they are the first introduction to the locality.

The market is excellent in St. Jean, and I know the patisserie you refer to. We are a bit too well off for them - not a good town for a diet.

Well, it's off to a small place near Bergerac on Monday.  Don't know Bergerac; in fact, don't know the Dordogne at all even though it's practically on my doorstep.  As they say, there's always a "first time", isn't there?

Would be happy to go on looking forever except that time and money are obvious limits to how far and how thoroughly one can search.  Besides, the dog does not like motorways!

It's true, she loves the countryside and her nose is glued to the window when we drive around country lanes and, the moment we hit a motorway, she slides down to the floor of the car and determinedly keeps her head down for the rest of the journey.

So, as you see, dear sympathetic readers, the husband and the dog militate against too much gadding about the countryside, looking at different places![:P]

A good cultural choice, english friends in "hameau" lived there for 2 years.

Convenient for Niort,La Rochelle,Rochefort,Brouage St Jean and La Venise Verte.

A better choice than the fluffy southern part of 2 Chèvres.

I mean just look what happened this weekend, breking news...

Frappée et violée à deux pas d'une discothèque
Un suspect est en garde à vue après le viol d'une jeune anglaise dans les Deux-Sèvres. Dans la nuit de samedi à dimanche, un chauffeur de taxi l'a surpris en train de frapper et violer une jeune une jeune britanique de 25 ans dans un champ près de la discothèque à Souvigné. Arrêté quelques minutes plus tard, l'homme de 30 ans pourrait être placé en détention provisoire cet après-midi.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

A good cultural choice, english friends in "hameau" lived there for 2 years.

Convenient for Niort,La Rochelle,Rochefort,Brouage St Jean and La Venise Verte.

A better choice than the fluffy southern part of 2 Chèvres.

I mean just look what happened this weekend, breking news...

Frappée et violée à deux pas d'une discothèque
Un suspect est en garde à vue après le viol d'une jeune anglaise dans les Deux-Sèvres. Dans la nuit de samedi à dimanche, un chauffeur de taxi l'a surpris en train de frapper et violer une jeune une jeune britanique de 25 ans dans un champ près de la discothèque à Souvigné. Arrêté quelques minutes plus tard, l'homme de 30 ans pourrait être placé en détention provisoire cet après-midi.

[/quote]

You could be right; I'm not sure I'm a "goat" sort of person.  Anyway, one goat would have been enough but TWO!

Cendrillon, do you think someone would attack me even if I go out in the Charente Maritime matron's uniform of pinny over some sort of blouse and skirt of indeterminate colour and non-matching florals, pop socks and house slippers?[8-)]

,"................ do you think someone would attack me even if I go out in the Charente Maritime matron's uniform of pinny over some sort of blouse and skirt of indeterminate colour and non-matching florals, pop socks and house slippers?"

You never can tell [;-)] there's no accounting for taste these days and anyway the nights are dark now!