Mad Weather - Snow In March!!

What is going on?

I have just booked up the train to come & open our little holiday home up ready for the summer. I have checked the long range forecast on accuweather for Apremont & Nantes & they both predict snow on 16th March!

Marc

It snowed here in March 2005 just after we opened the roof to put the new windows in - so cold that the building sand froze solid.

After the mild winter so far who knows what is in store - March heatwave or freeze?

Taken March 2005

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/snowhouse.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/snowhouseacrosslakesmall.jpg[/IMG]

And it was so warm we had a barbecue in January this year, everyone in shirtsleeves - is the weather crackers or what?  [:D]

I'm convinced that I remember it snowing briefly in early June 1975 - but that was Sunderland and no-one else seems to remember it ....

Cassis I think you must be right there, I was in the NE but not in Sunderland. Can't say when exactly, just remember early summer that year having snow. I remember a lot about that year, changed jobs, met husband etc, I had a lot going on really and it stays in my mind.

I have seen hail storms in mid summer here in France.

I shall take that as all the evidence required to prove I am not entirely deluded, TU.

Hail's actually more common in summer than any other time of year in the UK - not sure why this is, or if the same applies in France, but I'm sure someone will Google it!

[quote user="Cassis"]And it was so warm we had a barbecue in January this year, everyone in shirtsleeves - is the weather crackers or what?  [:D]

I'm convinced that I remember it snowing briefly in early June 1975 - but that was Sunderland and no-one else seems to remember it ....
[/quote]

It definatly snowed on June the first 1979 in Oldham.........I remember that clearly because It was a girls 21 st birthday in the office I was junior/dogs body at and the Florist couldn't get the van up the hill to deliver the flowers.........who had to go and meet it!?[:-))].

The hail risk is a worry in this area in summer and they put mortars up when we have storms. The storms get chased across the valley and the viticulteurs at the other side put up mortars and chase it back. It sounds like a bit of a slow battle sometimes.

edit

had to have a look to make sure I wasn't going mad in me old age

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/sport_leisure/cricket_weather.shtml

It's towards the bottom of the page.

[quote user="Cassis"]

I'm convinced that I remember it snowing briefly in ... Sunderland and no-one else seems to remember it ....

[/quote]

I can't remember it ever snowing BRIEFLY in Sunderland...

I wasn't there in 1975 but in 1969-70 it snowed in November and didn't thaw until March...  Wouldn't surprise me to get blizzards in August.

In about 1967 I was at an Easter motor race meeting (Brands, I think) and it snowed after a sunny morning. We ended up with two of our party in the medical tent (and it really was a tent), one with heatstroke, one with hypothermia.

We used to live in Washington (about 6 miles from Sunderland) and on the day our daughter was born in late March 1979, we woke up to a foot of snow.  

Mrs Sunday was due to go to hospital that day for a caesarian, so things were getting a bit desperate.  I phoned the police and they said if we couldn't get to the A1(M) (clear-ish) they'd organise a helicopter.  In the end, the whole estate turned out and dug our old VW Beetle out of a snowdrift and then cleared the roads leading to the nearby motorway.....

Just like it was in the War......[;-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

..................  In the end, the whole estate turned out and dug our old VW Beetle out of a snowdrift and then cleared the roads leading to the nearby motorway.....

[/quote]

So you must have had one of the prototype beetles then SD.

John

not

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

..................  In the end, the whole estate turned out and dug our old VW Beetle out of a snowdrift and then cleared the roads leading to the nearby motorway.....

[/quote]

So you must have had one of the prototype beetles then SD.

John

not

[/quote]

I think the Beetle might have been around for some 30+ years by 1979  [:P]

I remember a sudden overnight snowfall around that time in Washington (I lived in Springwell village as a boy and youth, 1970 - 1981).  I had just bought my first car and I practiced skid control in the Concord shopping centre  park when it was empty on Sundays. [:)]