[quote]'smug', 'schoolmasterly'?No, Turnip, disagreeing with you. That isn't a definition of smugness, but I'm afraid the tired cliché of your answer is. Not that you actually answered anything, of course.Yo...[/quote]

Trickie Dickie - read my post - My French business connections use the term "canker" as reported to them by others in their circle (French citizens). I spend a lot of time in France so stop the patronising sniping and move on. I am grateful for Micki's contribution and noted his adult manner of contribution and further note that he did not seek recourse to join you in infantile postering.

Your Cornish friend does not seem to get out much: the problem of second home ownership and its effect on places such as Mousehole are very real.

Yes - I am researching the possibility of purchasing a retirement property in France and I am grateful to all, including colleagues, who have assisted me. I've found most people on these forums to be helpful. Sometimes Dicksmith you offer useful replies but for the most part you are a pompous blowhard.

Now, I think Micki has summed up the so called demonstration well and allows for the fact that some French persons fear immigration as do some British in the UK. That being so I see no need to contribute further here and will leave Dickie to bash his root vegetable elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose there will always be some people who do not like the way things are. Or resist any change.

Unfortunately, in today's media-frenzied world, this often gets blown way out of proportion and a small minority of dissent is often given much more weight than the predominant view of the silent and content majority.

We have a second home in the heart of the Pays d'Auge. Hardly a backwater, and sought after as an area both by French buyers and foriegn ones. And Yet, within a square mile of our home as an example, there are at least a dozen substantial homes and barns in states of delapidation and unoccupied.

In England we live in the Peak district....and that has its share of second homes and issues like rising prices going beyond locals etc etc. But to be frank there is a long long way to go before the situation in France is anywhere near the same scale. In the peak district, a half fallen stone barn can be a huge price and have people fighting over it. Almost nothing remains undeveloped and unexploited. 

Basically though the trend is the same. Young people go to towns and cities to get employment. Not only that, but being brought up in the back of beyond often means the locals are only too pleased to get away from the Country Life rather than embrace it. We all look for something we don't have it seems. My mum was brought up on an 'idyllic' farm ....all stone and rolling meadows, pear trees and roses round the door. When her dad died (of overwork!) they couldn't wait to sell up and move to a neat 30's semi in the nearest town. And enjoy the benefits of a modern home with low maintenance, modern plumbing, and near to the shops. A generation later and the suburban dwellers were aching to 'experience' the country life their forbears had left!

It seems to me that the French are doing, or have done, what my mother and grandmother did. Left their draughty, expensive to renovate farmhouses in the middle of nowhere and moved to pavillions or appartments in town.  In my own experience the French are FAR less interested in the sort of houses the Brits like to do up. So most of the time they don't directly compete.

If a Brit DOES put time effort and (often considerable) expense ito renovating a near-ruin then why shouldn't he get the reward when the time comes to sell? Or does the fact that they are 'British' somehow make this wrong?

If so, so much for a united Europe. Racism is racism where ever it is found. I object to the idea that Britain should welcome all and sundry, often at Taxpayers expense, whilst the British should feel guilty at going elsewhere at their Own expense!

All in all we have been made welcome in Normandy. Having said that, poor French notwithstanding, we have brought money to the community. We pay taxes on a property that may otherwise not garner any revenue at all....and we certainly get less for our money than permanent residents. We use local grass cutters, and local supermarkets, bars etc....and buy whatever we can locally....a bed last visit I remember. I haven't noticed anyone refuse our Euros!! On the contrary people seem pleased we had chosen to live there and enquire when we will be going to make it our permanent home.

Of course, we did buy our house from a Parisien...so that maybe explains it. We probably are seen as the lesser of two evils.

"Of course, we did buy our house from a Parisien...so that maybe explains it. We probably are seen as the lesser of two evils."

Indeed you are!!!  We bought our house off a Parisian as well and were told in no uncertain terms that it was definitely preferable to have us owning the property than him.  He was regarded as a bit of an idiot by the locals

'Preferable to a Parisien' is one part of the answer of course, and i've heard this lots of times. One estate agent took us to see a house, and she intimated that the seller had promised her neighbour she would not sell to a Parisien, but Anglaise would be ok.

tresco

ps, you are completely crazy about Wombats aren't you FK?