If you are looking for a scooter for a 14 year old, did you know that scooters built before 2004, do not need a ct, or a number plate in France.

my two kids have just purchased bikes in the UK, and it was very easy to bring them to France. I had to buy a job lot of 5 scooters, at a very good price, to make the trip whorth whgile, so if you know of anyone who needs a cheap 50 cc scooter, email me, as I just want to cover the cost of bringing them over. i have 3 left.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Dave

My 12 year old is already asking for one (his just 14 year old friend has one).  The answer is no, no, NO.

I did show him an article in the local rag about a 17 year old who was killed on his recently aquired bike - he's still asking, but he won't get.

CTs are not required for powered two wheelers regardless of age or size.

50cc scooters/cyclomoteurs manufactured before 2004 will eventually require registration in the future (probably from around mid 2009).  It is possible to voluntarily register one now - registration is free.

Whether registered or not, the scooter must have a French certificate of conformity showing basic technical details and number of seats (if a pillion passenger is to be carried).

The minimum age for riding one of these scooters is 14 years.  Riders are required to hold a Brevet de Securite Routiere (BSR) which is obtained after five hours of training.  It's the equivalent of the UK Compulsory Basic Training certificate.  To complete the training, the child will need to understand and speak French.

Insurance is compulsory (on production of a BSR) as are crash helmets.

Failure to comply with the regulations is punishable by a class 2 fine (35 euros) and possible immobilisation of the scooter.

Insurance for a new 50cc scooter.............we paid 30euros per month for fully comp (only because scooter on hp) and 8 euros per month for 3rd party only, both with AGF.

Yes, scooters are dangerous. My daughter had a nasty slide down the road in Fougeres the other week, but having been sore all over and buffed down one side for a week or so I think she'll learn from the experience. Unfortunately we can't keep youngsters at home for ever and I have found that my daughter treats the road and other drivers with respect. I would be happier if she would look after the scooter as well but you can't have everything!

Incidently, I did suggest that she do her motorbike test sooner rather than later as we have a housefull of bikes and was told "Don't be ridiculous, they're too dangerous!"

Aren't teenagers wonderful!!

Aly

• 6 months later...
Hi SD,

you have given great advice in the past and I am back for more, with regard to 50cc scooters manufactured before 2004, as a holder of a full UK drivers licence do I need to pass the BSR test? Also although I have searched Google and  I cannot find an address for Piaggio so that I can apply for a certificate of conformity. Thank you in advance.

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="opas"]Just wondering why you had to buy 5 , and now have just 3 left, and felt the need to Advertise them on the forum. Thougt that Advertising was against forum rules?![/quote]

I would guess, and will apologise if wrong, that they are cheap chinese stuff that's currently flooding into Europe, they really are total cr*p, but you only get what you pay for..........................

Bugbear wrote:  " I would guess, and will apologise if wrong, that they are cheap chinese stuff that's currently flooding into Europe, they really are total cr*p, but you only get what you pay for.........................."

My daughter's scooter was  one of the above, cost 900 euros new and has lasted almost 2 years so far.  We researched the market before buying, and are convinced we got a bargain.  Lets face it, how many teenagers are really going to look after their scooter? If this one lasts another summer we'll be well pleased!  And yes, I would buy another one tomorrow!!  I wouldn't consider paying thousands of euros for a vehicle of any sort for a teenager.

Dago,

Your English car licence allows you to drive any motorcyle up to 125cc, and if you change to a French licence you will have full entitlement to drive a 125cc meaning you need only take a bike test to ride a machine OVER 125cc. ( and yes, you can take passengers...only recommended if you know what you're doing!)

good luck,

Aly 

Thanks Jc,

I had already looked on their site and could only find a contact for the press office and a notice that they would only reply to queries from the press..!  However your post prompted me to return and have now found another address that I hope will respond to me, maybe I will not hold my breath[:)]

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

• 7 months later...