Smoke detectors

I'm sure we all know that from March 8th we are legally required to have an approved smoke detector installed.

What you may not know is that you are supposed to self certify to your insurance company that you have fitted one although I imagine the insurance companies themselves will drive this.

[url]http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/faq/22842-detecteur-de-fumee-et-assurance-modele-d-attestation[/url]

Just had a quick look at Amazon and I can honestly say that it was not exactly an exciting prospect, having to buy any of these.

Anyone has any advice as to type, price, etc?

Also, I believe that someone asked how many in a house and I don't recall reading any answers.

For example for my house, 2 beds, 2 sittings and 1 kitchen/diner:  would I need 5?

One per property.

[url]http://www.connexionfrance.com/france-homes-property-smoke-detectors-law-compulsory-ministry-15529-view-article.html[/url]

Be prepared for phone calls and door step callers insisting that you must use them to supply/fit/certify/inspect them !

From the document that Ernie quotes it would seem only 1 is rquired:

Home fires are responsible for hundreds of deaths each year in France. In order to reduce these numbers, Law No. 2010-238 of 9 March 2010 imposed the establishment of at least one smoke detector in each residential housing from the month of March 2015.

The smoke detector should preferably be installed in hallways or address the access to the rooms. It should be set as high as possible, preferably on the ceiling of the centre. The sensor should be away from the kitchen or the bathroom (vapours sources places).

I have had one for years... Its gone off plenty of times when the toaster timer has been set wrong .. Its very noisy and in summer with all the doors and windows open .....and my French neighbors cant fail to hear it .... Nobody has even asked me what it was shattering the peace let alone rush up with a fire extinguisher.

Bullsh1t!

If I said that you had to stand on one foot for one hour every saturday morning and also write an attestation to your insurers that you have done so would you believe it?

Why not?

I am a helpfull god fearing individual, I have even created a model attestation for you to fill out, is it really Worth taking the risk?

If you are French dont answer that question unless you are one of the 0.0000000001% who perhaps think for themselves and dont blindly do as they are told.

Another I congratulate you on your integration and your command of  French or are you using Google Translate?

There is no penalty Under the law for not fitting a smoke detector, just like the alcotesters.

Anyone know where I can find a model of an attestation to send my car insurer, the mairie, the prefecture, Drire etc that I carry 2 NF alcotesters in my car?

You cant be too carefull you know!

Editted;

On reflection my first word was rather harsh, "Pomfoolery!" would be more apt [;-)]

[quote user="PaulT"]There are detectors that are toast resistant.

Quite a sensible requirement.[/quote]

Yep the ones without batteries!

Mine all have hush buttons so guests don't have to rip them from the ceiling and snap the covers to try and quiet them when their pizza is on fire!

In the original thread (which did not attract much attention despite covering many other important  things in addition)

I posted this link:

http://www.economie.gouv.fr/files/files/directions_services/dgccrf/documentation/fiches_pratiques/2014/detecteurs_autonomes_avertisseurs_fumee_daaf.pdf

Obviously in France any equipment has to respect the French norms..

I did read the info contained in that link carefully including the law texts referred to within which is how I can be 100% sure that there is at present no obligation to furnish your insurers with an attestation, if you are however determined to do so then do it by lettre recommandée.

The article states correctly that CE marking is required and then goes on to try and persuade you that NF marking is obligatory, its a real con as there is not even a Norme Française for smoke detectors, the NF is supposed to indicate that the product has been tested to the European norm not the non existant French norme.

La marque NF DAAF est le fruit d'une démarche volontaire de la part de professionnels qui se sont mobilisés, avec AFNOR Certification, pour rédiger un cahier des charges strict, basé sur la norme européenne EN 14604.

[quote user="PaulT"]No Teapot, there are specific battery ones that do not go off when toasting - an ordinary one in our caravan would go off due to the small volume but not when replaced with the toast OK type.[/quote]

A standard part of cooking in our caravan is to first remove the battery from the smoke alarm.

This one is fine in a caravan when cooking:

http://www.diy.com/departments/fireangel-wireless-toast-proof-smoke-alarm/261666_BQ.prd?gclid=CIGMntqg_cICFRMatAodQ2wA6Q&ecamp=SEAPLA261666_BQ&ef_id=VBE2tgAAABkEPiMK:20150105161843:s

[quote user="Chancer"]Bullsh1t![/quote]

Despite the eloquent retort I think the point about an attestation is that when your house is on

fire, or worse laying in ashes at your feet, producing the scrap of paper with which to demonstrate to your insurance company that you had least bought a compliant smoke detector might possibly prove a tad problematic.

BTW car insurance is a matter of

fact and the consequences of carrying breathalysers - or not - are the

same which ever way you look at it, e.g. zero !

Finally brace yourselves for a flood of tea time phone calls and doorstep

callers insisting that you are obliged to use their services to

purchase/fit/certify these devices !

I'm in smoke detector overload!

Thank you for all the info.  I promise to read everything carefully.  I am sure we will be fitting one as it's just one of those things you think you'd do and then you go away and forget all about.

If you haven't got one mint, then I think you should, never mind about the 'law', just feels like good sense to me...... in spite of what happened to me last year.

As I have said before, I only know of people in France who's homes have burned down, at least three in our village, electrical problems, I was told, no idea if that is right or not.......... and I don't personally know of anyone whose home has burned down in the UK.

No question that they are a good idea, rather problematic with though tenants as they always seem to remove the batteries, I have them everywhere except my own apartment.

My only issue is with the erroneous requirement to fill out an attestation and send it to your insurers who would in any case just bin it with 99% of all the other Customer correspondence.

If ever they do require such a form, and its difficult to imagine why, then they would have to update the Policy T&C's, send you a copy at renewal (and T&C's seem to be guarded as a state secret) together with the attestation, in that case you would be advised to send it LRAR but it will never happen, its just some idiot (Not you ANO) who thinks they are being helpfull by creating a model attestation.

On this forum at least my eloquent retort and ANO's equally robust reply didnt get removed unlike elsewhere.

[:)]Pommier, I know that decector was a typo, but I do wish it were a real word...... I just like the look of it, it should mean something, and I don't think it does.[Www]

and yes, you are right, a carbon monoxide detector is very important.

I agree, Pommier and idun.  You can get combined smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

Sometimes, if it's very cold, we use a poele à pétrole in the glassed-in veranda so I will get one of these combined thingies and have it installed on the ceiling of the main area of the veranda.

Last year, we didn't bother to use the poele as it was so mild and this year, I don't think it's even been dusted off.  Must be getting more resistent to cold!