Favourite Sayings?

ali-cat

While reading a reply in the "Naughty Boys" stories (which are rubbish compared to us girls ones!!) I was reminded of my all time favourite saying.  It was by the great Mae West & was "I used to be Snow White, but I drifted!".[;-)]  Anyone got any other cracker sayings they would like to share?

Winston Churchill, Noel Coward and Oscar Wilde are always good for a quote...

Winnie

"Sir, if you were my husband I would kill you"

"Madam, if I were your husband I would kill myself"

Noel, when asked who the rather small man sitting next to the rather large queen of Tonga was

"Lunch?"

Oscar

"Bigamy is having one wife too many, monogamy is the same"

Not a saying, but going back to the same sort of times as yours Ali, the great Groucho Marx.

In a film where he was not being very polite to one of those big burly well dressed ladies, the husband of the lady said "That is my wife, you should be ashamed!"

and Groucho replied "If that is your wife, you should be ashamed!"

W.C. Fields  "My wife, my wife, she drove me to drink.  I never saw her again to thank her for it..."

"Last night I slipped and fell on some ice.  I'll never know how my foot got in the glass..."

"Somebody who hates dogs and children can't be all bad!"

Bon, Happy Easter !   [:$]

When I was growing up, some of my relatives would say, "May you grow like an onion, with your head in the ground and your feet in the air."   It was clearly a translation of a Yiddish saying and to this day, I'm not actually sure what it means, except that I don't think it's supposed to be a good thing!

PG

I love children but I couldn't eat a whole one.

And I can't remember the exact words of my other favourite but it's very useful when I'm feeling particularly obnoxious and some snotty bitch at a dinner party remarks on the amount I've had to drink..... it was when Lady Astor told Winnie he was drunk and he said something along the lines of "Madam I may be drunk.  You are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober"   Well, you know the one I mean.  I'm lying now, I've never had the bottle to say it directly to the offending bitch (but I, or my husband usually say it quietly to each other and giggle!!)

[quote user="Russethouse"]We are all in the gutter,  but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde[/quote]

I really like that one.  It reminds me of Mark & I - I always look at the good, nice side of things - but Mark worries & would be lying face down staring at the S***!! 

He's really having 2nd thoughts about our move (I think because it's getting very real, now) so I have suggested we rent for at least 6 months, before putting our money into a house & will then have the option of returning, if it dosen't work out.  I hope he considers this an option as I'm getting really excited about the move & can't wait for June.  Feeling a bit down today - so thanks for making me smile.

Ali. [:(]

[quote user="beryl"]

One for you to use to encourage Mark then,

Life is not a rehearsal  [:D]

and one he can quote back at you

Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water ![;-)]

[/quote]

I'll certainly try the 1st one - but won't even mention there was a 2nd!![Www]

He's really having 2nd thoughts about our move (I think because it's getting very real, now) so I have suggested we rent for at least 6 months, before putting our money into a house & will then have the option of returning, if it dosen't work out. 

Wise thought. Good luck.

ali@ards I think that your husband sounds very sensible. I wouldn't have dreamed of not renting first. I know people who have just changed towns or regions in their own country and not settled or simply not liked it, so with such a big move, I would always rent first. In fact we didn't sell up until we were sure that we could cope with the move and then it took us further year to find somewhere we wanted.

Two very old quotes, rather than 'sayings.

I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute.
- Rebecca West

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
- Mark Twain

I love both these.  I just wish  I could always remember the second one.[:$]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]I hope Ian Horn reads it...   [:)]   [;-)][/quote]

Yes Ian called me barking mad on another thread.  But I am used to his insults now.

When I was about ten, this little boy used to throw stones at me all the time.  I was afraid of him and thought he was nasty.  I bumped into him the other day and we talked about the past and I told him how I felt.  He blushed and apologised and told me he only threw stones at me because he secretly loved me and because he was shy was the only way he could have me notice him.  But thats children for you.

[:D][;-)]

I just had these sent to me by a friend - hope you agree with most of them!!  I certainly do with the first one!!  [6]

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b**** up with cookies. (Unknown)

I refuse to think of them as chin hairs. I think of them as stray eyebrows. -Janette Barber-

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first one being hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. -Erma Bombeck-

A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't. -Rhonda Hansome-

Whatever women must do, they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult. -Charlotte Whitton-

Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your bodystarts falling apart. -,Caryn Leschen-

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once. -Jennifer Unlimited-

If you can't be a good example - then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -Catherine-

I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on. -Roseanne Barr-

When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. -Elayne Boosler-

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman. -Maryon Pearson-

In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman. -Margaret Thatcher-

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man, I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa Gabor-