Banking: M. ET Mme vs. M. OU Mme.

nectarine

Just a heads up to people out there. I heard of a case today of a couple where one has recently died and the survivor is having trouble with the bank because the account is labelled M. ET Mme xxxx. That means that both signatories must sign any document and not one alone, so the survivor is having problems accessing money etc., until legal procedures take their course. If the account had been M. OU Mme then it means only one signatory is needed, either of them, and of course the survivor has full access to the account and more flexibility.

So, take a look at your cheque book today. A ten minute with your local branch to get things in order might save a lot of hassle and heartache at a later, more stressful time ...

When we opened our first bank account here, the difference between the two types of account were very clearly explained to us - especially the case where the bank account would be frozen should something happen to either of us.  It seems odd that people don't understand this, but someone said on another forum that they knew a young French couple who didn't realise, which is quite scary really.

M ou Mme might be best for most but for some M et Mme might be the better scheme so it's not really a case of needing to be one or the other but choosing which is appropriate for you.

It's roughly equivalent to a couple having a joint A/C or individual ones.

The same holds true for car registrations, you did know that you can register in joint names didn't you ?

[quote user="Lehaut"]+l for the Carte Grise. A friends husband died. The ancient SAAB was only in his name. The Notaire had to write to the children all over the world to get their permission to sell it! Took weeks.[/quote]

Any ideas about how one changes the Carte Grise from single owner to an 'ou'? I thought I was being smart putting one car in each of our names but if the survivor needs to sell the car in the name of the non-survivor, then problem!

B

As you know I was widowed almost three years ago now and if we had not had the joint accounts as M OU Mme I would have been in deep dogdo as the bank has to be notified within days of the death along with the sucession started. I have now just recently been summoned to the bank and the account is now in my name only as surviving spouse. Can confirm about the carte grise too if not in surviving spouses name, my car was in both names but only HIS christian name appeared and took precedence which meant my children had to write letters as well as my Notaire to the garage when I wanted to trade the vehicle in for a new car to allow me! Otherwise the surviving spouse has to re-register the vehicle again with permission from any and all heirs and pay the cost of a new carte grise and plates if old style ones. BE WARNED. Also for those not aware, if you were married in the UK and are joint property owner with a spouse who dies, the whole affair is deemed married as "séperation des biens" unless you have changed to a french régime when moving here and the survivor is also liable for all debts of the defunct as well unless they refuse inheritance as I have done.

• 3 months later...
The husband of a friend of ours has just died

In England where they lived. They have a second home here.They need to record the death. Does anyone know if they need to have a translated copy of the death certificate, or will the English one suffice?