Where did I put .........

Suninfrance

Anyone else in my position?

Not a day goes by when OH says "where did I put my hammer, trowel, mastic gun" etc.  If it's not "where did I put ......", its "have you seen ..........".

Best one was "have you seen my glasses?"

"Yes dear, they're on the top of your head".

Response : "I knew that".

Senior moments or what?

Jan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Anyone else in my position? Not a day goes by when OH says "where did I put my hammer, trowel, mastic gun" etc. If it's not "where did I put ......", its "have you seen ..........". Best one was "h...[/quote]

We have started to tell each other why we are going a certain place in case we forget or get distracted by the time we get there. It's a case of "Ray, why am I in the kitchen?" (g)

[quote]All the time. All the b****y time. You should see me with tape measures and pencils. I had to pause then for a moment because I couldn't remember what tape measures are called...[/quote]

**I couldn't remember what tape measures are called...**

My problem is in working with three languages - American English, British and French. I might remember one but can't, for the life of me, think of the others.

Tape measures, pencils, straight edge, hats, keys, phone, jig saw, drills (why do men need at least 3 battery operated or electric drills), drill bits, battery chargers, etc, etc, etc .......

Don't know what's worse, when the place is a tip, we can't find anything, when we've tidied up, can't remember where we put stuff.

As B&Q is not down the road here in France and it takes at least half and hour to get to Mr Bricolage in Brive, or an hour if we want to go to Limoges, we have to get organised (ha!) and write a list.  Get to said location and guess what ...... we forgot the list. 

"Can you remember what was on the list"

"You asking me, you wrote it"

Might start writing list on my arm.  (Must remember not to wash before we go out)

Jan

Well, my OH keeps asking me these silly questions as well, but what I find even more exasperating is when we are in a place where we have never been before and he turns to me and asks:'Where are the toilets?' HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW?????

3 drills: 1 for the pilot hole, 1 for the countersink and 1 for the screw. Easy peasy. Try boarding a loft and changing the bit/countersink/screwdriver every 3 minutes...

Plus the new one that looks good, the old one (or 2) that look, well, old and the one that was good value in the sale. Oh, and a big corded one for drilling into tough walls. And the SDS that was cheap in the Screwfix catalogue - need I go on?

OK Dick - I get the picture.  We also get the Screwfix catalogue.  We have the SDS (which was temporarily mislaid - "where did I put it, have you seen it") and a multitude of other "boys toys" and the latest on the wish list is a morticer?

OH can spend hours in M Bricolage dribbling over the power tools and chunky garden machinery but when it comes to curtain material and furniture and the new saucepans I desperately need, the foot starts tapping and sneaky glances at the watch.

Why is that ?

The Ferm morticer in Screwfix got good reviews, and Axminster also have a good hobbyist version...

On a separate question, does anyone know why demineralised meths smells so disgusting, and whether or not it is possible to get the old sort? The stuff I've got makes the workshop unbearable.

OH will never look for anything - just shouts - 'have you seen X'. I now have the habit of mentally indexing and remembering everything I see that is his. Now this works for him but all the other stuff that could be important falls out my left ear as the thoughts go in the right ear - so when I want anything I can't find it and that is happening more and more with words. Phoning a client and saying 'you know the thingumybob you wanted me to do by whatsit date, they say yes and I sit here trying to remember what I was talking about but I know where the left handled grease dripper is that OH will need later - tis sad.

I have blonde moments, senior moments and just plain weird moments, I wonder if it will get better if I ever grow up.

Got to go, he has just realised he cannot find his grease dripper...

My OH is hopeless at trying to find something.  He'll ask where is XXX and I'll tell him that it's in the end drawer. He opens drawer, briefly scans across contents with his eyes and says "I can't find it" - try having a delve or at least lifting the things on top - ahh it's there after all!!!  Same with the fridge "I can't find the chutney" - bend down so that you can actually SEE what's on the bottom shelf

[quote]OH will never look for anything - just shouts - 'have you seen X'. I now have the habit of mentally indexing and remembering everything I see that is his. Now this works for him but all the other stuf...[/quote]

** I wonder if it will get better if I ever grow up.**

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!! Words to the wise. I know somebody who did once and they died on the spot! Terrible thing!

I purchased a metal detector from the Outilage van the other day - should speed up finding things although I still haven't found the beloved pliers OH mislaid in the field two years ago while putting up the barbed wire fence.  Lots of dropped staples, but no pliers.

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Had another experience of this subject yesterday.  A friend came over to help us lay the floor in the lounge.

Yes, not one, but two men asking me "have you seen", "I had it a minute ago, what have I done with it".

I was instructed to stay in the room to keep an eye on where they put things, so I could tell them when they asked.

Is this just a "man thing".

Jan

[quote]Dick Perhaps you should try the meths with red wine or scrumpy![/quote]

I know it was a tongue in cheek comment and I smiled as I read it BUT... it might interest you to know that when I was training as an Ophthalmic Dispenser (first career), we were taught that there is no pattern to when drinking Meths affects the optic nerve. Some abusers do it for years without problem, then it hits, others they have one drink and they are affected. The smell and colour are added to try to dissuade drinking! So there you are, where is the needle on the boredom-ometer?

Tell me about it.  I get so frustrated.  And with the size of this place you can consider whatever item lost.

It drives me to distraction when hubby has picked something up which I have been using and uses it himself unbeknown to me!

Or the workmen have borrowed my rake, or spade or fork and swear blind that they haven't.  I do get cross!  You can spend half a day looking for stuff and not to mention my children who have picked up the odd pencil, hand trowel and decided that they have their very own missionDeby

Going back to the shopping -

After having written a nice long list of what you want to buy and getting to the supermarket and finding you have left the list on the kitchen table, you finally proudly manage to fill the trolley with goodies, skither sideways with it down the slope they always seem to put in front of the supermarket doorways, then look up to suddenly realise that you can’t remember where you left the car!

Al Zeimer

[quote]Had another experience of this subject yesterday. A friend came over to help us lay the floor in the lounge. Yes, not one, but two men asking me "have you seen", "I had it a minute ago, what have I ...[/quote]

Is this just a "man thing".

Afraid not, on this usual monday morning I greet my male colleague with the usual "did you have a nice weekend", when he told me a tale of his wife out in the family car and breaking down many miles from home.

She phoned him at home - and her first words of the conversation were "where are you"

• 2 weeks later...
God, I suffered so much from this debilitating condition that a few yrs ago I started to stick this £1 device from PoundLand to my often disappearing essentials, it was supposed to bleep loudly whenever I whistled to locate lost property. A great invention, I thought. My life soon became hell, what will the dog barking and unintentionally activating all sorts of things (keys, glasses, scissors, mugs, staplers, whathaveyou, all beeping in unisson), loud voices also activating all and sundry, even animal noises off the telly setting the damned things in a bleeping trance. It was obviously invented by s.o who wanted to have the last laugh...

• 1 month later...

It's hard to make a come back when you haven't been anywhere.

Now that I'm 'older' (but refuse to grow up), here's what I've discovered:
 1. I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.
 2. My wild oats have turned into prunes and All Bran.
 3. I finally got my head together; now my body is falling apart.
4. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

5. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...
6. All reports are in; life is now officially unfair.
7. If all is not lost, where is it?
8 It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

9. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...
 10. Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant.
 11. I wish the buck stopped here; I sure could use a few...
 12. Kids in the back seat cause accidents.
 13. Accidents in the back seat cause kids.
 14. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...
 15. It's hard to make a come back when you haven't been anywhere.
 16. The only time the world beats a path to your door is when you're in the bathroom.
 17. If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.
 18. When I'm finally holding all the cards, why does everyone decide to play chess?
 19. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...
 20. It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.
 21. The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
 22. These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter. I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.
 23 ???? lost!!!!
24. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Jerry (gone!)