buzzwords

mint

Following on from Acronyms and Dialect, I thought I'd start a thread along similar lines and see if there is any interest.

If I never hear "empowered" again, I shall not be too sorry.

Then there is "get over it", "throwing shade", "channeling", "totaled", "trending".  I wish people would stick to plain English.  I am beginning to think that I have been transported back to a previous epoque where I don't have to hear these buzzwords ad infinitum.

Just a few and don't get me started (oops, that should be in the list below}

Progressive agenda

Dog-whistle speak

Bring to the table

Going forward

Grow (as in "grow the business")

Touch Base

Reverse fulfillment (as in "returning goods")

Unpack (as in "Let me unpack that statement.")

[quote user="mint"]Following on from Acronyms and Dialect, I thought I'd start a thread along similar lines and see if there is any interest.

"channeling", "

[/quote]

Sorry mint, I have to use that word as it applies to holes in the sand filter media in a pool filter.

Frankly none of that bothers me as much as the misuse of our language - including - indeed especially - BBC presenters. Those who cannot cope with the correct use of less rather than fewer.

For the rest it is just part of todays politico speak where nothing you utter actually means what you say, still less what you will do on the basis of what you originally uttered.

Iconic. Everything is iconic.

I was queuing in Hobby craft to pay for some sewing thread a few months ago. A small boy behind me was waiting with his dad to pay for a ball of wool.

"I chose black because it's iconic" he said.

Worse. His dad just nodded in agreement.

And EVERYTHING has "the wow factor".

So let me go back to a visit I had to see my Dad and saw what I found was a very funny programme, Drop the Dead Donkey.

My introduction to all this language nonsense was with Gus and his management 'Gus Speak'! Still on YouTube!

Then in France not that much later, friends asked me about, ' brainstorming'.

Did I know what it meant, did I heck.

This has been going on for ages.

My bugbears are drawing, which does not have two R's.

And some media people being unable to say sixth and seem to say 'sick'....

Oh yes, Id.  I remember trying to say "The sixth sheik's sixth sheep's sick" in primary school.

OH can't stand afletes talking about aflethics but I don't mind that at all.  As long as I can understand the meaning, I am not too bothered. 

Nouns turned into verbs; adjectives used instead of adverbs.  Oh how the language is debased.

Sadly, even I found myself "touching base" last week, at the time I couldn't think how to say it more easily in fewer words.

But the dumbing down of the language is very annoying.

Just got The Hallelujah Chorus just come on the radio .. I shall go and sing along and cheer myself up now!

Well, we can use verbs as nouns, so I guess using nouns as verbs is an evolution. Similarly, there exist some adjectives that can be used as adverbs. It seems inevitable that more will be added. Yes, even at the expense of existing adverbs.

I'm always a bit conflicted about this. If language didn't evolve, we would either all still be grunting at one another, or speaking like Chaucer. Sometimes it's hard to take, but the reality is that it has always been so, and will certainly always continue to be so.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]If it's not a challenge, it's a journey.

There's a woman on the BBC London news that always talks about the London Assemberley.[/quote]

Betty, you might like this one:

As written on a postcard that one American cancer-sufferer would have liked to receive....

I promise never to refer to your illness as a "journey" unless someone takes you on a cruise

Betty, you might like this one:

As written on a postcard that one American cancer-sufferer would have liked to receive....

I promise never to refer to your illness as a "journey" unless someone takes you on a cruise

???

In which case they could be going on a journey on a journey....

And I'm just reminded of the other trite phrase I'm getting tired of hearing. From every reality TV contestant ever, whether they are about to be, or have just been knocked out...

"I have so much more to give"

Really glad to get out of endless meetings towards the end of my career, listening to stupid business jargon and buzzwords. I feel really sorry for people who still have to listen and understand them!

Note business jargon. "Hey, dude" etc I dont mind but would not go down too well in a standard business meeting.

I've no real problem with grammar changing (though I wish French grammar would not only move from the 18th (or worse) at least into the 20th century!), but my biggest problem is that when used differently from (note not to in my parlance) I  have to translitterate to understand it ...

Similar problem with buzz words, half the time I really have no idea what they mean .... I must get out more, obviously!