Great British Menus.... aN oxymoron?

Chauffour

So, we're all round to KKK's for lunch on Sunday eh?  Lamb or faggots - sounds good.  Can you lay on some redcurrant jelly for me with my lamb pls?

I certainly agree re the Welsh guy's main course: it really looked appetising. Hope he wins but doubt that it'll be as good as KKK's.

Hope that the West Country chef's pud comes through: can't imagine treacle sponge after all the other things and I've never been a custard tart man.

Overall, we've really enjoyed the series. It's always easy to knock these sort of programmes, but it's been informative and (seemingly) genuinely competitive.

p.s. Dick - I thought you were a bit hard on Chauffour. Seemed a reasonable post to me. An apology would gracious and worthy of you.   

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the strength of this thread I went out and bought some lamb for the weekend...

Ian - I still think Massimo went about this in utterly the wrong way if he wanted a discussion, and exactly the right way if he wanted a row. I don't like stereotyping when it is aimed at other people, and I don't like it when it is applied to me. It isn't good enough to say something insulting and then claim it was all a joke, I am afraid. And smilies just make it worse.

British cooking had been very badly stereotyped and, consequently, I expected the worst when I first came to the UK in 1985.  However, I was very pleasantly surprised and have since spread the word about the wonders of such dishes as Yorkshire pudding or the Queen of Puddings (to mention just a couple) among my family and friends abroad! 

I think that Nigel Slater is one of the best chefs who shows the very best of British cooking, wonderfully uncomplicated and immensely tasty at the same time.  Has anyone read his autobiography, "Toast"?  A great book.

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

So, we're all round to KKK's for lunch on Sunday eh?  Lamb or faggots - sounds good.  Can you lay on some redcurrant jelly for me with my lamb pls?

[/quote]

Redcurrant jelly?  Superb change from mint sauce.  I have said this before, slow roast a leg of lamb stabbed with slithers of garlic and rosemary smothered in crushed anchovy.  Wrap this in foil.  When cooked simply stir into the juices a few dollops of redcurrant jelly and fresh rosemary.  Serve with jerseys and a nice summer green.  A nice light variation of the hearty roast.

Don't worry about the anchovy, it simply leaves behind a lovely salty taste. 

Yes, I enjoyed that.

Especially the Spaghetti Bolognese with Parmesan, and his father's instruction, "We will never mention that again." I must say that I grew up a bit earlier than NS and I don't recall that sort of attitude, but it made a good book.

I hope this isn't going to be judged as going too far off topic, but I have found a lot of processed meat products in France to be of dubious quality, by that I mean a lot of bits added that should be thrown out. I hate gristle or chewy fat and for years I couldn't eat sausage, mince or burgers in the UK because of it, but after the mad cow scare, things improved but it still seems that a lot of grot finds its way into French meat products.[+o(]

I remember that sketch by Caroline Ahern when she was working on a check out and on scanning a packet of rissoles, she said something akin to 'you don't want to eat them full of eye holes, ear holes and a**  holes'.

I have seen those things, Cassis but never tried them.

I will eat most of the animal as long as I can eat it in 5 minutes, I just object to still chewing on something after 1/2 an hour !

Katie, do you do onion sauce with your lamb, I love that!

What about lancashire hotpot - lamb so tender it falls apart, meaty

gravy and crisp potato layers on the top, braised steak, anything with

creamy mash - steak, sausages, bacon joint with new potatoes, broad

beans and parsley sauce - and for pud, lemon meringue pie - home made

of course.

On the subject of sauces - what about home made bread sauce. 

Kathie

[quote user="beryl"]

I have seen those things, Cassis but never tried them.

[/quote]

You have been very wise - carry on in the same vein!  They taste like they smell and you don't want to know what's in there.  [+o(]

Bon appetit a tous.

Phil

[quote user="Cassis"]Ever tried an andouille or andouillette sausage, Beryl?

[/quote]

The French equivalent of black pudding - another good Brit dish. 

Especially fried with a full English breakfast - well if you're going

to be unhealthy you may as well go the whole hog [;-)]

Kathie

[quote user="hastobe"][quote user="Cassis"]Ever tried an andouille or andouillette sausage, Beryl?

[/quote]

Kathie

[/quote]

What's the equivalent of black sausage ?...c'est boudin noir, delicious !

And not forgetting oatcakes ( surprised Hastobe didn't mention those ), black puddings, Melton pies, Stilton and  Cheddar cheese.

What about boiled bacon with cabbage put in the same pan for the last fifteen minutes ?

Around here they serve boudin noir baked in puff pastry; you'd never get away with that in Derbyshire.

Hoddy

[quote user="hastobe"][quote user="Cassis"]Ever tried an andouille or andouillette sausage, Beryl?

[/quote]

Kathie

[/quote]

Nothing like black pudding - you're confusing it with boudin noir, which is marvellous.  Andouille definitely is NOT!

Phil[+o(]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]K3 - they are SLIVERS of garlic! Slither is a verb much loved by snakes... I know what your mother told you about always pronouncing t-h as 'th' not 'v' but it's OK!

(Sorry, you just trod on one of my pet bees).

[/quote]

When I was at primary school I was always made to stand on a desk and recite "Thirty Thousand Thrushes Sitting in a Thorn Bush" had to do it over and over until I stopped saying " firty fahsand frushes sittin in a forn bush"   Your Dad wasn't a teacher in Sidcup, Kent was he Dick?[:)]

I've just got back from the pub and I'm starving!

Don't go near andouillettes - they smell and taste like used food.

A traditional breakfast with black pudding - sublime, but got me where I am today!

Black pudding with sautéed apples? Gorgeous.

I saw a picture on the internet of an andouillette and it looked like a dismemembered body part ! That was enough to put me off.

I do like black pudding but haven't found a french version I really enjoy yet.