The Cruel Sea

Russethouse

Did anyone see the program about the Penlee Lifeboat disaster last night ?

I thought the program was very well done and I remember the disaster happening at the time, my father was a great one for visiting lifeboats and we had seen that boat while on holiday, as had thousands of others, so sad.

There is also 'Trawlermen' (this week-BBC1-7pmUK)

These brave men up on deck day and night, out in all weather, buffeted by gale force 9 storm, fishing for prawns, haddock, cod, whatever they need to pay the crew a pittance of a wage and the bank!...

I will not complain anymore about fish and chips or prawns being rather expensive....

I didn`t see the program, the sea is a cruel place and as an ex sailor of small craft there is nothing more frightening than having taken a decent weather forcast reading and then end up in a force 8/9 .

We were once helped by the Italian Lifeboat, when we reported an engine failure , it was beautifull calm night and advised them we would hove to overnight 5 miles off shore.........no chance they towed us in at about 20 knots per hour(our little boat only maxed 6 on a good wind!  Then they fed us and next day returned to take us to a workshop for repairs.

My mum lived near the lifeboat station at Fleetwood and would drop her change in whenever she passed by as a distant thank you.

[quote user="missyesbut"]

There is also 'Trawlermen' (this week-BBC1-7pmUK)

These brave men up on deck day and night, out in all weather, buffeted by gale force 9 storm, fishing for prawns, haddock, cod, whatever they need to pay the crew a pittance of a wage and the bank!...

I will not complain anymore about fish and chips or prawns being rather expensive....

[/quote]

I agree. We lived on the North Norfolk coast at Sheringham and would hear the lifeboat maroon go off (sounds like a cannon) calling the men down to the seafront for another rescue. Funnily enough it was often in the summer when some stupid holidaymaker had got into problems [:@] 

Thinking about this further - I absolutley hate 'tin rattlers' you know, the charity collectors who lurk outside supermarkets ready to make you feel guilty if you don't buy a flag/ sticker whaterever, but the exception has always been the RNLI. Perhaps other people have their own favorites?

I wonder if its because what the RNLI do is fairly visible - you can see the boats, hear about the rescues etc ?

I too meant to record the program last night but forgot.

A very good friend / colleague from over 25 yrs ago is married to a lady whose family is in Mousehole.  I can't recall her maiden name, but several of the men lost that night had the same surname. (Did the name begin with an 'M'?)   Two cousins I seem to remember.

Very sad: such bravery.  One can't begin to imagine the effect on such a close-knit community.   

The RNLI is unique in the World (certainly Europe) in that it is the only maritime rescue organisation not funded by central government, which is entirely wrong. The French equivalent - SNSM - is paid for by the French taxpayer.

Perhaps the best way to help the RNLI is to join - you don't need to own a boat!

Sadly only half true Nick.

I wondered if that was right,  sometimes we will attend functions

and on occasion there will be a collection box for them. I know and I

suspect most people who live near the sea, will (or ought to !) buy a

SNSM keyfob or even the jeton for the supermarket trolley when the SNSM

folk are about raising money. On reading through, it appears that they

have to collect quite a bit in one way or another for various items,

inc a huge amount for lifeboats.

http://www.snsm.net/budget_decomposition.php?PHPSESSID=e25d1b542e152882d63704d02e065230

The Penlee documentary was indeed a very moving testament to the bravery of the lifeboat crew, and a scary reminder of the power of the sea. I was particularly touched by the stoicism and pride of those who were left behind on that tragic night. The guy who is now commander of the Penlee boat was left behind on the night of the tragedy, because the then commander didn't want to take 3 members of the same family, and he (at 17) was the youngest.

As a kid, the Blue Peter appeals I always wanted to help with were the ones where they collected stuff for new lifeboats. Don't know why, but I'm glad I did, and still do, give a few bob to them from time to time. Having seen that documentary, I hope it's one service I never have to use...............