D'you know what, it's a big ask.

Weedon

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Meg and Mog"][quote user="Cassis"]Next time he calls, you could always take a raincheck. [:)]
[/quote]

Or just tell him to talk to the hand.
[/quote]

What does that mean?  I'm going back to the UK next week, I feel I should know these things.  I do so want to integrate, you know?

[quote user="Chris Head"]Just about everything the cast of Eastenders says, they make me cringe, I'm sure people don't talk like that in real life, they must be accentuating the accent for dramatic effect.[/quote]

We could have a whole thread on accents on TV. Like to start one Chris ?

Hoddy

[quote user="Lori"]I always wondered if anyone in the UK really talks like the actors on Eastenders.  When I first started watching it (yes, I admit it), I couldn't understand most of what they said.  [/quote]

When it was first broadcast, I couldn't understand why the Eastenders didn't all talk like Dick Van Dyck in Mary Poppins.  He was a proper cock-er-ney wasn't he?

Right, I'm off to bluesky a letter to Monsieur Le Maire about colour schemes.

[quote user="Meg and Mog"]I reckon that Cool is an acceptable word to use!! As long as it's not used by anyone over middle age (no offence it's true) and not followed by the word 'man'.

Are we all cool about that?

[/quote]

Oh dear.  How long do I have until I'm over middle age and have to stop using words I've used all my life! [:D]

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

[quote user="Meg and Mog"][quote user="Cassis"]Next time he calls, you could always take a raincheck. [:)]

[/quote]

Or just tell him to talk to the hand.

[/quote]

What does that mean?  I'm going back to the UK next week, I feel I should know these things.  I do so want to integrate, you know?

[/quote]

Talk to the hand?  I may be wrong but I assume it's alluding to him being like something a bonobo monkey frequently holds on to. 

[quote user="Chris Head"]Just about everything the cast of Eastenders says, they make me cringe, I'm sure people don't talk like that in real life, they must be accentuating the accent for dramatic effect.[/quote]

Coming from Barnes, I do believe a plum in the marf might be the only accent you understand....I have heard voices far more mockney than anything on that strange soap [:)]

[quote user="Meg and Mog"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_to_the_hand

Cassi to see if you should still be using a certain phrase try saying it in front of a teenager. If you see them finch and cringe, stop using it!! [:D] Unless you are saying it to be naff on purpose (like my Dad!!).  [kiss]

[/quote]

I think my speculation as to the possible origins of the phrase was far more graphic and interesting. [:)]

I tend not to trust teenagers in matters of taste, style or anything else.

[quote user="Chris Head"]I come from NORFOLK Miki, it's a little bit up from and to the right of the smoke, you'd need your passport and an interpreter to get into the county! Hey, don't blame me, it wasn't my fault that my Mum was a Hyacinth Bouquet wannabe![/quote]

Then you bin tellin' porkies. Recently you said you was from Barnes and moved to Mathews county.........don't deny your bourgeois past, I am proud to have lived on an island in Chiswick, albeit on a roundabout  [:)]

At the end of the day? Wot a bloody stupid expression!!! What is going to happen at the end of the day. One of my mates used to use that about 4 times in every sentence. "Well, at the end of the day it will?????"

As for 'cool man', what's wrong with that, apart from the fact that it was totally cool man to use it in the 60s. And yes I was there and yes I DO remeber the 60s. That was a fantastic time of life for me. All the excitement of being on the front line of servicing big pasenger aircraft in the Royal Air Force and being wisked all over the place to do the job I loved. Africa, Malta, Cyprus, Singapore, USA, Guam, Honolulu and Stornoway in the Hebrides. How cool do you want to get? But then again I'm probably just talking to my hand....

One thing I would love to do is to learn French well enough to be able to translate Cockney ryming slang into French and be able to use it with someone in the know. Can you imagine Goin' up the apples and pears  -- montie les pomme et les poire??? Even the best English speaking French would be pooped with that peut etra?

Jonz

My neighbour speaks very good English and he does know some rhyming slang.  It was very amusing when I went for dinner and he asked me do I drink rosie lee.

The one I detest the most is 'in all fairness'  along with 'at the end of the day'  I had a bank manager that used to use both of these, what a twit.