Don't be Afraid, Show Yourselves

Bugsy

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this thread is better off in the lounge, because it's (or was) more about seeing what members look like, than photography.

Much of the chatter in the thread relates to that, or about the removal of various photos. Removing more will just make this even more nonsensical than it is already.

A true story.

Years ago when I was working (as a student before you ask) in the mental hospital laundry we hippy students found an injured thrush at lunchtime. We had a pretty good idea that the bird was moribund, and that the kindest thing to do would be to end it quickly, but we were all too squeamish. So we made a little nest of grass and leaves on the lawn, and made it as comfortable as possible. We looked out from time to time to see how it was.

That afternoon they mowed the lawn...

Oh dear.  Rather messy.  At least the thought was there, Dick.

Here's one of our more successful rescues:

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/chaffinchbump1-1.jpg[/IMG]

This is Bumpy the chaffinch.  He still visits the birdtable.

And this is Mallen the goldcrest.  Last saw him early summer.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/goldcrest1a.jpg[/IMG]

The birds fly into the windows despite our windows being multipaned and having outlines of birds of prey on them. 

We had that very problem with the large french windows. I even had a kestrel whack into them one day. Thought he was dead, but a half-hour of tlc and he was ok. I don't know about you but holding a wild bird like that is a 'full-on' life experience.

I now hang old CDs on fishing line in front of the windows and they spin in the breeze. So far, no more impacts.

I can imagine the ol' CDs do the trick but I can't get away with it here (B&B) 'cos of what it would look like.

What I don't get, Bugs, is that the windows, though large, are made of several smaller panes about 30cm by 50cm, not like a picture window.  Actually, they are also porte-fenetres.  But they also fly into the normal window (about 1m by 1.5m high and made of 6 smaller panes) when the cover is removed from the tonnelle outside the window.

Happily, more survive than die from the impact but we still have maybe 3-4 fatalities a year, which is a bit distressing. [:(]

I couldn't work it out at first, but when I stood back and looked at the windows all you could see was the reflection of the huge flowering cherry tree we have in the garden. That was the birds-eye view. I didn't want to hand CDs but we witnessed two young thrushes smash and die, one after the other and that was enough, horrible.

The oddest one I had was last winter when working in the barn, a robin walked in and fell to the ground.  It flopped around as if drunk, totally unable to balance on two feet.  I picked it up and put it in a box.  It's head was all gunky, beak and eyes gummed up. 

I cleaned him up with a cotton bud and warm water and kept an eye on him, leaving him a saucer of water, some raisins, a pile of moss in the corner of the box and an overhead bulb for warmth.  After a couple of hours, having crapped an enormous amount for such a small thing, he managed, with encouragement, to stand up without falling over. 

I let him out of the box and after a bit of a wobbly start he pulled himself together and walked out of the barn door, then flew into a bush.  A few minutes later he was stuffing his beak on the bird table.  I still have no idea what he had been doing before he came into the barn.

Maybe the robin was drunk.  Perhaps a neighbour had put out a beer trap for slugs and the bird had been drinking from it?  That doesn't explain why his beak and eyes were gunky though, unless birds have different reactions to alcohol than humans.  Good to hear that he survived his ordeal, whatever it had been.