Computer tips.

Bugsy

If your computer goes all wonky it may be because you have changed the settings or downloaded some crappy Windows recommended update which has screwed things up.  Restoring the computer to the settings it had at an earlier date when everything was working fine often fettles the problem.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="Bugbear"].............................to turn off connection, right click the icon, then select disable.[/quote]Don't mean to be controversial but I questioned this advice in another thread and reiterate here that this is a clumsy way to disconnect as it affords no way to get back online other than going into Network Connections and re-enabling.

[/quote]

I quite agree, and you are not being controversial, but if you read the other thread there was a lot of confusion as to what exactly was required and I did say, several times that it was not necessary to disconnect a broadband connection.

[quote user="Cassis"]If your computer goes all wonky it may be because you have changed the settings or downloaded some crappy Windows recommended update which has screwed things up.  Restoring the computer to the settings it had at an earlier date when everything was working fine often fettles the problem.
[/quote]

Fettles is such a fantasic word.

[quote user="WJT"]Not that I need it in the foreseeable future mind you. [:)] But, it doesn't work for me. I have tried what Bugbear has suggested as well as Dago in Microsoft Works. Perhaps it is my software. [/quote]

I don't have Microsoft Works, but from memory it doesn't come with Word, I'm sure someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Internet Favorites.

If you have a lot and you don't want to have to go through all the trouble of finding them again after a 'crash'.

Do this.

Find them in C:\Documents and Settings\your account\Favorites

Then copy the file onto a floppy................................. job done.

If you don't have a Floppy Disk drive then use another media.

You'll wonder how you ever managed without this.

If you use a calender regularly put this on your pc. It's sits nicely on the screen (use small mode), is easy to add stuff to and reminds you of todays events when you switch on. There is also a function for annual events so you'll never forget those birthdays or anniversaries. If you run a guest house or B&B I think you will find it very useful.

www.desktopcalendar.tk

Thanks Gary!

I had been using a trial version of something similar, but it had just expired and I was only thinking this morning that I'd better either fork out for the full version or find something else.   You've saved me the bother [:)]

Thanks as well, Gary. 

I can't see the option to have a hammer emerge from the screen and crack me over the head or 200db Klaxon as an extra reminder.  Is that only in the upgrade version? 

Otherwise, it's just what I need (given a memory like a collander). [:)]

Could it be that not enough space is allocated to the buffer, so the breaks are happening as the computer 'catches up'?

I would have thought that if the download speed was too slow it might cause the same problem, but I'n not sure how you check that on a PC (making an assumption there).

I get the same problem playing DVDs on my classroom PC, which is a very cheap Dell, it seems as though there is a momentary pause as the DVD is read into the buffer.

The easiest way to download music is to buy it from the iTunes store - I'm not sure about other methods. Kids often offer me advice, but I turn a deaf ear!

As for ringtones, you really need the traditional 7-year old child, I'm afraid. I've never managed it!

Downloading music is  a straightforward but grey area when it comes to legality.

You can buy downloads from many companies and that is legal.

There are other sites where the downloads are free but there have been recent cases of prosecution.

There is currently a site www.limewire.com that allows you to download music in a rather unusual way. When you choose a track to download you get the track from other users of limewire. This can range from one or two up ten to twelve places. The individuals who have the track on their computer have an open port that lets you seamlessly access the bit of the track that you need to secure a complete recording. This ensures that no one is transferring a whole track for nothing. The open port is made secure by a neat bit of scrambling to stop any malicious entry. You have to create a file that limewire recognises then it's just a case of choosing what you want. It's a grey area as I've said and whether you choose to try it is down to you. I'm am making no recommendations here.

I hope this makes sense as it's a bit difficult to explain.

[quote user="powerdesal"]  I was trying to listen to the Seekers on Youtube (from another thread), the sound breaks (pauses) every few seconds, I have broadband so why? and how do I stop it?, is my download rate too slow? or what?
[/quote]

Steve,

That clip worked for me, but others don't and it's very irritating.

If you really want to hear the clip, you have to imagine yourself back in the days of dial-up. [:D]

Play the clip while you are making a cup of tea, then when you come back, press 'play again' and it should play without the pauses.

If you have a PC running a French operating system and need to do something, but are not sure of the French menu items you need, you can search for a term in English (system restore, for example) using the Microsoft Knowledge Base http://support.microsoft.com/ 

Search in the second search box down, Search Support (KB). 

Select one of the documents from the search results. 

When this opens you will see an Article Translations box on the right hand side of the article allowing you to choose French translation, complete with all of the terms in French.

Hi Gary

I've just downloaded Limewire and tested it by downloading a track and it worked perfectly first time.  Thank you for this tip.

Have you used this yourself and do you have any more tips for finding the best and fastest source(s) from which to download?