Film Favourites

Gardian

To celebrate the auspicious and humbling moment of my 1,000th post (!), I thought I'd propose a list of favourite films for discussion / further offerings.  It took several glasses of (unhealthy) CdR, prior to my (unhealthy) red meat main course, followed by my (unhealthy) sticky toffee pudding dessert, to come up with this list.

1. Dr Zhivago - timeless
  2. Magnificent Seven - great music & Wallach stole it (as usual)
  3. Schindler's List - not much to say really
  4. All Quiet on the Western Front - the original anti-war film
  5. Rainman - superb Hoffman
  6. La Gloire de Mon Pere - charming social observation
  7. Singing in the Rain - if only for the title number
  8. The Sting - great denouement
  9. Ipcress File - mould-breaking
  10. French Connection - pacy 

1. Gone With The Wind - the clothes and the chemistry between Scarlet & Rhett.

2. Wizard of Oz - the music and the fantasy.

3. The Commitments - the music and the reality.

4. An American in Paris - A work of art!

5. E.T. - Speilberg genius.

6. Casablanca - more chemistry!

7. Pulp Fiction - so daring in every aspect.

8. Sophies Choice - for me one of the best films of the personal horrors of that war.

9. Desperado - Antonio Banderas[:)]

10. The Full Monty - just so 'desperately' funny. 

I'm tired so can think of only 5 films right now:

1. The Shining - the ultimate horror film

2. Apocalypse now - anti-war, deep and dark

3. Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources - brilliant acting, a true classic

4. Jesus of Montreal - illuminating

5. La Folie des Grandeurs - a very funny commedy which got me interested in all things French when I was little!

Ghost: cos Im a romantic

Saving Grace: One of the funniest films I have seen, and great views of north cornwall 

Pulp fiction : action in every min of the film

Ring of bright water : Cos it makes me cry every time

Green fried tomatoes: great acting great story 

In no particular order, just ten of my favourites...

Veronica Guerin: shocking, sad and the real story behind Ordinary Decent Criminal

Life is Beautiful: achingly tender, funny and moving

Oklahoma: because my parents loved it, and I do too

Amores Perros:  a Mexican Pulp Fiction

The Pirates of Penzance: Kevin Kline swashes his buckle like no one else as the pirate king

Donnie Darko: haunting and puzzling, with a great soundtrack

Arsenic and Old Lace: Cary Grant at his very best

The Ring (original Japanese version): still makes the hairs on the back of my neck prickle, the scariest film ever

The Talented Mr Ripley: beautiful locations, great story

8 Femmes: like a French Agatha Christie, with some of France's finest actresses, and some great songs

Oooh, I love lists!  To make my "great" list, I need to have been able to watch a movie at least 5 times - something which says something new every time you watch it. In no particular order.

Lone Star By America's greatest independent film-maker, writer director John Sayles.  Full of little gems of performances from a wonderful cast, headed by the marvelous Chris Cooper.

Broadcast News One of my favourite actresses, Holly Hunter, at her best.  And a marvelous study of what it's like to be a woman (and a very clever one) working in a man's world.

Quiz Show Tough to know what's wrong with this movie - perfect in every way.

The Third Man Fabulously photograped, a Graham Greene script, and Orson Wells at his best as the totally amoral villain you can't help but like.  The shot of him in the shadows with the cat is iconic.

Rio Bravo Pure, unadulterated fun.

Singin' in the Rain Superb musical with a story that actually works and means something.  Donald O'Connor running up the wall in "Make 'em Laugh" is the highlight for me (although of course, Gene Kelly doing the titile song is unforgettable too.)

Mephisto Terrifying study of how fame corrupts.  Klaus Maria Brandauer in anything is OK in my book though..

The Station Agent How do some rubbish films make millions and gems like this pass by virtually un-noticed?  Forget those "buddy" movies, this is the perfect story of how true friendship works.

Forbidden Planet Sci-fi Shakespeare!  Fantastic score and other special effects way ahead of their time.

Goldfinger Yeah, I know, hardly intelectual but better than thousands of spy movies which have been made since.  "No, Mr Bond, I want you to die."  Perfect.

Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi (but definately NOT Naqoyqatsi) - quite amazing, stunning and should definitely be seen (and can be watched again and again).

Dr Strangelove - classic, funny and still relevant.

Almost Famous - maybe because its my era and really captures the spirit, the music, the attitudes, everything.

Meet Joe Black - despite the subject matter, always leaves me feeling calm and with lifted spirits.

Brazil

K-Pax

Dogma - just a shame the (unnecessary) continual bad language which really adds nothing.  But if you can get past that some excellent ideas, script, etc.

(But then the list would probably be totally different tomorrow)

Ian

Shaun of the Dead - hilarious

Apocalypse Now - Very deep movie based on J Conrad's Hearts of Darkness. Must have seen it 100 times and still don't fully understand it.

Pan's Labyrinth - 3 genres in one. Great movie

Amelie - If a film could be a painting, this would be it.

Goodbye Lenin

Der Untergang - Hitlers last days

First two Resident Evil movies. Awesome sound!

Fistful of Dollars trilogy. Best westerns ever.

Blood Diamond - Great once you get past Leonardo Di Crapio's South African accent.

Shawshank Redemption - The audio book is even better!

Stand By Me - A classic.

Just a few of my favourites.

R.

The beaches of Dunkirque (sp) - because my farver was innit.

Wiz of Oz - top dollar

West Side Story - Because I want to star in it wearing a big spotty frock

Shawshank Redemption - Gripping

Missippis Burning - How did they get out of that one?

Snow White - Because my daughter used to sing all the songs when she was little and my son used to cry when she died. (I still worry over him)

Sixth Sense - But only when you dont know the ending.

Oh I like this thread because I have just been advised on how to download free movies (waiting for discs to arrive).   So I am going to try some of the films mentioned - eg if anyone mentions one of same films as myself then I assume that we may have similar taste in movies, and I will try any others they put which I haven't seen.   There is a logic to it !!   Lets see if it works.

Atonement (excellent film, recently released...........do go and see it)

Les Choristes

Etre et Avoir

Fried Green Tomatoes

Amelie

and loads more!

add to that

Life is beautiful

Gosford Park (for period costume etc.)

Four Weddings and a Funeral (for light entertainment)

Billy Elliot

Late addition

Out of Africa

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Meurtre dans un Jardin Anglais which I think was The Draughtsman's Contract

[/quote]

Add that to my list as well (Draughtsman's Contract anyway).  In fact several of Peter Greenaway's films (with the Michael Nyman sound tracks) - but some are a bit nasty.

Ian

Now according to my theory, that is twice that 'Life is beatiful' has been mentioned amongst some of my own favourites, so I shall have to try that one, as I have never seen it (or heard of it, if I am honest).   It's first on my list to download.

Like its title, very beautiful and very sad too as twinkle said, take a large box of hankies.

Sorry I have added more to my original list

Me own favourite films are

1 The Quiet Man

2 Tarka The Otter

3 The Incredible Journey (the original Disney version with that gorgeous Siamese)

4 The Incredible Mr Limpet

5 Godzilla Meets King Kong

6 Babe

7 ET

8  Donkey Goes To Honolulu

9 Goodfellas

10 Scarface (Al Pacino is just the greatest and if I was a gay, I would fancy him) I love the way he says "f**k you" no one can say those words like Al!