Film Favourites

Gardian

[quote user="cooperlola"]

The "multiple boxes of paper handkerchiefs" movie of all time has to be "Au Hazard Balthazar".  Stunning, but not for the easily-upset! Blub.

[/quote]

Absolutely! I was very young when I saw it, cried my eyes out, and was haunted by it for weeks.

Almost as much as by "Bicycle Thieves" (1948), Vittorio de Sica. That has to be one of the gloomiest movies ever, although maybe "They Shoot Horses, Don't they?" and "The Grapes of Wrath" come close....

Otherwise, my list might have (quite a mix!), apart from some already quoted (Amelie, Shawshank Redemption, Billy Elliott)

"Blue Velvet"

"Onibaba"

"Born Romantic"

"Just a kiss"

"Baghdad Cafe"

"Secrets and Lies"

"Speak with Her"

"Whatever happened to Baby Jane?"

"Mona Lisa"

"The Searchers"

I saw it a few times, Christine. The first time it totally spooked me! Glad I am not the only one to have been struck by Onibaba.

In line with the extremely gloomy types of films, there is one I cannot track down. It was also Japanese, called "L'Ile Nue" in French (The Naked Island). It depicted the hopeless struggle of a barely surviving Japanese family whose very survival is always problematic, as they live alone on a barren little island: having to walk miles fetching water, trying to plant crops, all very hopeless. I saw it in the 60's, anyone else remembers and could give details?

Another recent one I loved: "In the Mood for Love"

No, I haven't seen La Traque, but remember hearing about it.Thanks for that C.A.

I have just googled l'Ile Nue (should have started there!) and here it is http://www.dvdclassik.com/Critiques/dvd_ilenue.htm

Another harrowing movie was "No Mercy, No Future" by Helma Sanders-Brahms (1981)

where the main character is a woman's descent into the abyss of madness and sordid sexual and bloody encounters in Berlin. Those with a sensitive disposition will gladly abstain!

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

One for the animal lovers:

The story of the Weeping Camel - just beautiful

[/quote]

Were there any films about animals being used as furniture? I seem to remember a film about a camel being used as a cocktail cabinet, but can't for the life of me remember if the camel survived???? I would love to know the title and the ending if anyone knows.