Answers to Spelling Questions:

Gluestick

If you come from Appletreewick in Yorkshire you would pronounce it Apptrick and if you are a regular in the Abergavenny Arms in Bells Yew Green in Kent you know it's pronounced Abergenny. Don't know why....perhaps it's because it is their wont!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Weedon"]If you come from Appletreewick in Yorkshire you would pronounce it Apptrick and if you are a regular in the Abergavenny Arms in Bells Yew Green in Kent you know it's pronounced Abergenny. Don't know why....perhaps it's because it is their wont![/quote]

And Barnoldswick is called Barlick, which really doesn't help a Southerner who ignored many busses to "Barnoldswick" whilst waiting for a bus to "Barlick",  .....silly young son in law!!!!!

And in Norfolk, Wymondham is pronounced Wyndham,  and Happisburgh Hazeborough.  I have a friend who swears she was once asked, by a family of Americans, the way to Lug-bor-ug  (Loughborough).

Trotiscliffe = Trossley.  There are loads of these.

For the French amongst you: Why is Angers pronounced without the S but my local town of Mamers is pronounced with the S?

Jail or gaol?  Either.  Hello or hallo?  ditto.  Eat or ate - that depends on the tense.

I have a friend who has a total blind spot about past participles and always says "I have ate" instead of "I have eaten."  The classic one of his is "readed"!

What's in a name, or spelling?

Isn't "The Office" set in Sluff.  As an aside, Ricky Gervais doesn't make me laugh....should that be larf?

Funny names (well they force a titter out of me which is more than the above mentioned does) include, Plucks Gutter (Kent), The Piddles (West Country), Pratts Bottom (near Orpington) and my favourite which is a house name in Lyminge in Kent, Pill Rags!  Don't believe me? Do a google on it.  

I used to work at a place called Etchinghill,  apparently it was originally called Each End Hill.  It is next door to Lyminge (as in Limb-inge)which is why I know the house called Pill thingy.  I once heard an American (we didn't get many of them in deepest Kent in the old days) pronounce Lyminge in a French way, as in Le-M...... I promise you I kept a straight face as I gave him directions.[:D]

What happened to global warming?