The Bickering Thread

TWINKLE

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Gluestick"]

It was John Cooper of course who first tried a single seater with the engine behind the pilot. (In a GP car).

[/quote]Ah. Sensible man.[/quote]

And here one be!

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/Cooper_T51_rear_Donington.jpg[/IMG]

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's the bickering thread got to be the racing cars thread?

Well, I did own a Triumph Herald once and also an MG Midget 1400cc.  Alas, neither of them did anything other than let me down.

Oh, I nearly forgot, I visited the motor museum once in Beaulieu and I think I might even have visited the NEC motorbike museum!

But that's about my only brush with what you guys are talking about!

If you want to see bickering, back biting, character assassination, mudslinging and general badly-written appallingly spelled mayhem, go to Autosport's website and have a look at the 'Racing Comments' thread on the Atlas Forum. It makes anything here look like nuns on an outing.

Steve, don't be so bloody rude about my little racer.

She was a beaut, all fibre glass (or whatever) bumper, twin carbs, a dinky little wire right down the middle of her windscreen and a tonneau cover that took at least half an hour to get off or on.

Plus she was a yellow colour like bird sh*t and I called her "Yellowbird" in honour of Campbell's Bluebird, so there!

I'm sure JE and I were talking, Dick, about the World Championship era: which, of course, didn't start until 1950. Although agreed as a series for GP cars in 1946.

And technically, of course, the modern genre of cars like the Ferrri 250 earlier illustrated, are Mid-Engined and not Rear Engined.

The first Mid-Engined racing car actually appeared in 1923, if one wishes to be pedantic. And it was neither an Auto Union nor a Cisitila.

http://www.castrolr.co.uk/page10.htm

And the absolute history is further clouded by Harry Miller's Rear-engined cars competing mainly at Indianapolis. And Indy qualified as a Grande Epreuve circuit as did the 500 as a calender race.

http://www.milleroffy.com/Racing%20History.htm

Just shows how Wiki and Google can be deceiving, huh?

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="Christine Animal"]

"Now this is what I have promised myself. A Jag "C" type replica from Racing Green, 'cos I can't afford the odd £million or so for a real one!"

My father had one and a D Type, bought them from Duncan Hamilton.  For the road he had an XK 140.  Those were the days!  [:)]

[/quote]

Great shame he didn't give them to you, Christine!

You would be a multi-millionairess!

(Perhaps you already are!)

I had an XK150 for a short while.

Wondrous cars.

[/quote]

Yes, that would have been great, but he sold them on.  One of the D Types (I think he had two, but not at the same time) ended up at the Midland Motor Museum, Bridgnorth.  My mother still had the log book and we took it over there when we were over once, years ago.  I don't know if it's still there.  I never imagined they were worth that type of money now.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Sounds like it was one of those 1493cc horrible rubber bumper ones with raised suspenders. Chicken sh*t yellow - yuk.

it is the bickering thread -ish
[/quote] 

What the hell are raised suspenders?  Not those red things that hold up the OH's trousers, I trust.  To be fair to him, he only wore them when he had a Rotary or some "do" or other. 

He didn't half looked funny with trousers up to his armpits.  Hush, but I musn't be too disparaging as he has been known to look in on the forum now and then!

So Formula A cars not permitted?

Actually Auto Union did build a 1.5 litre supercharged car for the 1940 Formula A which became Formula 1 in 1950, so I guess they and Cisitalia (a development thereof) were the first F1 cars as well, as they existed and were eligible to race. I'm not sure if the Cisitalia ever raced in F1, as opposed to Formule Libre.

I only used Wiki for the piki, btw. Which I'm not allowed to put up on here, of course. But I can't lay hand on my F1 books at the moment, so I'm working from memory.

I thought the Miller-Offys were front-engined front-drive apart from one unsuccessful 4WD (I've got a book on Indy 'Funny Cars' but I can't find it - there was also a mid-engined car c1946 which was so dangerous it killed a couple of drivers - could have been a Miller.).

I believe there was a mid-engined French car in the 20s as well. Not a Voisin, but similar. Not the Bugatti 'Tank' which looked like a mid-engined car but wasn't.

But - the '55 -'56 Bugatti Type 251  still predates the Cooper F1 cars (although not the Cooper F3 JAP engined cars based on Fiat components). The 1957 Monaco Cooper was, of course, a Formula 2 car, which used to be a reasonable proposition at Monaco, because they were more nimble than full-fat 2.5 litre F1 cars. More so than a Vanwall, certainly. The first proper F1 Cooper was 1958.

Of course, Fred Lanchester's first car (1895) was rear-engined.

I don't think he actually raced it though................

Interesting you should bring up Dave Bickers and Greeves, Weedon (Scramble vid on Utube).

The factory was not too far away.

Old Man Greeves, as he was known locally, was disabled and was constantly chased by the local constabulary as he'd had his own Invacar (A Greeves product) tweaked just a lot!

A very long-term chum who is a precision engineer is still working at the old Greeves/Invacar plant; he used to do much machining for me on race and high performance engines and still does the odd job for me now, here and now. Last one being Tig welding an ally BMW head with a crack and broken valve seat.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

bickering.jpg Tarkin Warning image by sweetblackvader  if it's only going to be about bloomin cars.   [6]

[/quote]

I want to have an argument with Mrs Animal, but I just can't because she is just too lovely and I'm too scared to start a row with her anyway. Maybe we could argue over the price of new dogs in Ireland? If that old Tressy was around, I would ask her to start a row with you on my behalf by peroxide.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Right Christine, let's do the animal bickering for a change!!

I am scared of rottweilers, cos I was chased by one two years ago.

Labradors rule !! [:P]

[/quote]

Hi Frenchie, I was humped by a labrador when I was only 18. It really left it's mark on me and I have never forgot it.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Furry, I'm afraid we're such good mates we can't start bickering either... [:)]

Maybe .. well.. no, can't find anytning...

[/quote]

I could argue with you about that saggy joweled manky old Mcartney lad[:)] Don't you dare say anything dogatory about gorgeous Bryan Ferry either!