The Bickering Thread

TWINKLE

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"]So Formula A cars not permitted?

Actually Auto Union did build a 1.5 litre supercharged car for the 1940 Formula A which became Formula 1 in 1950, so I guess they and Cisitalia (a development thereof) were the first F1 cars as well, as they existed and were eligible to race. I'm not sure if the Cisitalia ever raced in F1, as opposed to Formule Libre.

I only used Wiki for the piki, btw. Which I'm not allowed to put up on here, of course. But I can't lay hand on my F1 books at the moment, so I'm working from memory.

I thought the Miller-Offys were front-engined front-drive apart from one unsuccessful 4WD (I've got a book on Indy 'Funny Cars' but I can't find it - there was also a mid-engined car c1946 which was so dangerous it killed a couple of drivers - could have been a Miller.).

I believe there was a mid-engined French car in the 20s as well. Not a Voisin, but similar. Not the Bugatti 'Tank' which looked like a mid-engined car but wasn't.

But - the '55 -'56 Bugatti Type 251  still predates the Cooper F1 cars (although not the Cooper F3 JAP engined cars based on Fiat components). The 1957 Monaco Cooper was, of course, a Formula 2 car, which used to be a reasonable proposition at Monaco, because they were more nimble than full-fat 2.5 litre F1 cars. More so than a Vanwall, certainly. The first proper F1 Cooper was 1958.
[/quote]

Interesting to think back, Dick.

I well remember the F1 Porsche (the 1500 c.c. formula) since at that time, I frequently used to call on a motor engineer at Purleigh in Essex, called Bill Basson. One day, knowing I was a young affecionda, he took me in to the main 'shop and showed me Dan Gurney's FI Porsche, which was being prepped for its next race.

Bill most kindly ran me back after I'd delivered a Porsche to him for service: he had a sort of hook for his left arm (racing accident) and scared me to death in his SWB Land Rover. He still went rather quickly!

The Bug only raced once, of course, driven by Trintingnant; and he retired after 14 laps.

Happier days.................

(P.S. And if you girls can't stand a good car bicker then go back and find some ironing or summat!)

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/cheer_up.gif[/IMG]

I see the bickering needs a couple of nobs of coal to get it going again.

I can't stand Dr Who.  I have never watched it but I know I would hate it.  And that David Tennant I find irritating, which perhaps is not surprising as I seem to find every second thing irritating these days.

I quite agree, Weedon.

In the past few years film and TV media has had a propensity to make kiddie's stories into series and films apparently aimed at "adults".

Rather worrying, isn't it?

(n.b. I do apologise for not instantly bickering with you, as I wholly agreed with your comment! However, rather like London buses and policemen, I'm sure a gaggle of bickerers will soon be along to dispute what we have said!).

[:D]

Could I also add Big Brother to my compost heap of puerile tat.  I have lots more offerings but don't like to appear too grumpy[:D]

Gluey, do you think a gaggle of bickerers might refer to a couple of agreeing bickerers as a Byte of Bickerers?[:)]

[quote user="Weedon"]

Could I also add Big Brother to my compost heap of puerile tat.  I have lots more offerings but don't like to appear too grumpy[:D]

Gluey, do you think a gaggle of bickerers might refer to a couple of agreeing bickerers as a Byte of Bickerers?[:)]

[/quote]

Wonderful new terminology potential here, Weedon!

A Mega Byte of Bickerers: a Giga Byte of Bickerers: a Terra Byte of Bickerers: a Peta Byte and so on.

The mind literally boggles! [blink]

Big Bruvver, er yes: please add Celebrity Dancing, Skating, Cooking, et al. Britain lacks Talent!. Absolutely anything with that sententious self-absorbed midget oik Cowell in it too, please.

Now the one I would love to see is Celebrity Mine Clearing combined with Celebrity Leapfrog.

That would be bound to become, well an explosive hit!

[6]

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="Weedon"]

[/quote]

Wonderful new terminology potential here, Weedon!

A Mega Byte of Bickerers: a Giga Byte of Bickerers: a Terra Byte of Bickerers: a Peta Byte and so on.

The mind literally boggles! [blink]

Big Bruvver, er yes: please add Celebrity Dancing, Skating, Cooking, et al. Britain lacks Talent!. Absolutely anything with that sententious self-absorbed midget oik Cowell in it too, please.

Now the one I would love to see is Celebrity Mine Clearing combined with Celebrity Leapfrog.

That would be bound to become, well an explosive hit!

[6]

[/quote]

How about sententious self-absorbed midget effete poncey git as in Graham Norton?  I know, not at all PC, and one of my best friends is homosexual (really and he is French, so all is forgiven) but, what the hell, will stick my head above the parapet just this once!

Well, with the forum almost extinct as everyone has probably taken advantage of the wonderful weather and is playing out in their gardens, I thought I'd try and resurrect this thread.

Anyone fancy a good bicker?

Is this the right room for an argument?

[:)]

[quote user="lostinfrance"][quote user="powerdesal"]Well, just to argue, GS is wrong to descibe the forum as being nearly extinct, he should have said it was moribund. 

Why do you write like that anyway?

[/quote]

no1

no comment

no2

That is me.

No3

Comments?

[/quote]

This bickering thread just isn't working. Its terminally moribund now.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="lostinfrance"][quote user="powerdesal"]Well, just to argue, GS is wrong to descibe the forum as being nearly extinct, he should have said it was moribund. 

Why do you write like that anyway?

[/quote]

no1

no comment

no2

That is me.

No3

Comments?

[/quote]

merci

This bickering thread just isn't working. Its terminally moribund now.

[/quote]

Shan't!

Well, Steve old mate, how about a quick argument about the UAE!

I think they will soon be lost in sand.

n.b. It's only chagrine, really, as the rotten buggers in Port Rashid didn't go for my Reverse Osmosis Project for ship's water bunkering back in 1981!

Humphh.......

[:P]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Shan't!

Well, Steve old mate, how about a quick argument about the UAE!

I think they will soon be lost in sand.

n.b. It's only chagrine, really, as the rotten buggers in Port Rashid didn't go for my Reverse Osmosis Project for ship's water bunkering back in 1981!

Humphh.......

[:P]

[/quote]

A good decision by them, RO was in its infancy then, very power hungry. MSF technology was a much better bet. Not necessarily true now with energy recovery systems and better membrane technology driving the economics closer.