crookery today

tegwini

Someone sent this to me today - how careful do we have to be ???

Tegwini

My friend's sister went shopping in John Lewis.  She visited the ladies' room and hung her handbag on the back of the toilet door.  As she carried on about her business, a hand suddenly appeared over the top of the stall and grabbed her bag clean off the hook!!!  
As if this wasn't bad enough, she reported the incident to the manager of the store.  A couple of days later she took a call to say her bag had been found, without her purse.  She arranged a time to go and meet the manager to collect her things.

On arriving at John Lewis at the agreed time, the manager was not expecting her - nothing had been found, no one had called.

When the lady got home, her house had been burgled, with no sign of forced entry, they had used her Driving License for the address and her keys to let themselves in!!!!!!

I promise this is real - it isn't just a scaremongering story, I was so shocked at how complex bag snatching crime has become.

Please be extra vigilant ladies, Christmas is a bad time for this sort of thing anyway, but with the credit crunch there are a lot of desperate criminals out there!!

Cat-  Not sure of the actual origins - but the story does not surprise me.

RH-  A business that my husband owned  a while back was targetted when someone got into the staff room and stole 2 handbags-  the victim  was only aware of it when they received a phone call asking for the details on a credit card- the police were called in & mugshots were checked, but by the time she got home they had been inside her home and stolen other stuff.  This actually happened.

Tegwini

No me too!  Anyway that old story has been doing the rounds for the last 25 years to my knowledge.  Like being gassed in your camper van in a motorway service station, microwaving your poodle and other stories it is one of the delights of being on the internet.

Not in any way suggesting that people should not be careful.  Where do you leave your car keys if you go out on foot?  Most people leave them just inside the front door, thus providing a getaway car for any burglars who pop in whilst they are out.  You can only be a certain amount careful in life but I am still surprised to see how many ladies wander round the shops with their purses lose on the top of their shoppping bags.  Invitation to steal, much easier than nicking a bag in the loo.

[quote user="Hoddy"]You've echoed my thoughts Cathy. What can one do with a bag if there's no hook on the back of the door ? Answers on a postcard please.

Hoddy[/quote]

no postcards.

stand it on top of the cistern behind you, if no cistern, hang it from the flush handle. nb I obviously dont have such problems, I'm not 'modern' enough to have a 'man-bag'