The UK is a good place.......................

Bugsy

...............to buy a second-hand car from today if you can live with RHD.

Audi A8 - 4.2

Quattro LWB SE model for £16k.

On an 05 plate, with 32k miles From

an Audi dealer with Full Audi Service History and the original invoice for, wait

for it, £72K!!!!!

£56k depreciation in 3 and a half years [:-))]

I have just changed mine ..now got Rover 75 Club CTD tourer. as I need a diesel estate ..midnight blue immaculate with all the chrome handles and bits ...looks like its just came out of the showroom.One owner 2004 just over 30.000 on the clock .....£3.700...BMW parts so no problems there ....If I had been prepared to travel further i may have got a cheaper one ...

Being sensible[:)] how about an 07 Jaguar 2.7TDVi , 50k mls £(€)17K, £43,995 new
207PS 2.7 V6 Twin Turbo diesel . 0 to 60mph in 7.8 seconds. 435Nm Torque. all-aluminium body construction, 35mpg (8.1l/100km) combined and low 214 g/km CO2 emissions, 
(just to ease it at the bar drop in the fact that its really the latest Peugeot turbo diesel[:-))]),

I believe this is the model that got Jeremy 750mile from Basel to Blackpool on a tankful beating a VW polo[8-|]

[quote user="Bugbear"]...............to buy a second-hand car from today if you can live with RHD.

Audi A8 - 4.2

Quattro LWB SE model for £16k.

On an 05 plate, with 32k miles From

an Audi dealer with Full Audi Service History and the original invoice for, wait

for it, £72K!!!!!

£56k depreciation in 3 and a half years [:-))][/quote]

If there is any justice let's hope it belonged to one of the city spivs responsible for getting us into the mess we're in and now trying to stave off repossesion, or better still, bankruptcy..........[Www] [:P]

I learned to drive in a Sunbeam Tiger, drove an MGB GT, Alfa Sprint, and now have a Polo !

Always promised myself a Merc 250  or 280 SL with removeable hard top.  Trouble is these days, I would have to keep it in the garage and use the Polo - just in case.  

And, they're a lot more than when I first lusted after one in the late 70s.

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

I learned to drive in a Sunbeam Tiger, [/quote]

tegwini! Wot a car to learn in! 260 or 289? That's 4.2.or 4.7 litres in old money. All those sticking valves! Hardtop or open? Jealous, or wot! My first lessons were in a Hillman Blimp, later Vauxhall Viva HC. How the other half do live!

Brand new out of the box ( and it was in a box exported from the UK to SA).  And I thought there was only one engine size, but it was 4.2 litres.   Removable hardtop and soft top.  Pale blue & black. Got slides somewhere if I only knew how to post them here. Which I don't!

Silly times - did Johannesburg- Bulawayo in under 6 hours including frontier crossing time, the days when you saw the odd giraffe on the side of the road,  and a bit of street racing (not me) now and then. The odd Etype often used to try it on...

Took driving test in it - the cop/inspector was more keen to see under the bonnet- and I did pass - somehow.  Also pranged it - but not seriously.   Toured around SA - Cape Garden route,  Northern Transvaal, all of Natal etc.   Lovely for that, but as I was a young hippie then we would often sleep in it - grim...   'back seats', really a little platform thingy, designed for legless midgets.

Trouble is OH then was seriously silly, replaced engine with fully race-tuned 4.7 litre engine, and it needed a lower diff ratio of something, as it didn't like to use its first gear.  He's still out there, and now into rally driving - in his 60s - what a wally!

It got traded in for a Merc and the company attempting to sell it said that it was a lemon although it was still  quite new.

This was in the mid 1960s - happy days ...

Regards

Tegwini

Sounds like a lovely time! The 4.2 engine was in the original Tiger, then it increased to 4.7 some time later. Both were from Ford. Not really an expert on these, but they were so much more interesting than the Alpine on which they were based! The chrome strip along the waist told you it was the Real Deal, not the ordinary Alpine.Your OH's decision to change the engine made the car a special, which always reduces value - the dealership can't apply all the usual platitudinous values of one careful driver, low mileage etc! The risk for older men in rallying is that, like older men who can now afford big motorbikes, their reactions ain't what they used to be, and more than one very respected ex-driver has lost his life in an accident on a classic event. Of course I hope this doesn't happen to him.

Cooperlola and I have never had a car in that league for performance, although we've had a few hot hatches, one of which - Citroen BX16 valve - would do 130, and we each tested that, I think..... Now I'm 60, sensible-shoes cars seem more us, although when Cooperlola starts mentioning Bentleys, rather than the Modus or Note we had idly discussed, I do wonder!

Thanks Coops2

Must say I can still remember the 'growl' of the V8 engine.

The rallying OH is an 'ex', I fired him eventually when it seemed as if I was being forced to drive a massive Trans Am or something similar super huge & fast to school, as he had a company Merc by then.  I refused and traded my Alfa with a cracked head (aluminium) which I was feeding water to constantly, for an Alfasud-  too tame for him by half.    I didn't ditch him in them, but soon after,  but husband now for nearly 30 yrs very different.

So whether he is taking chances in car rallying I don't really know. He seems to have been placed in a few rallies- rough & ready ones in SA.   As it was he also had an off-road bike then and did that too, as well as a racing dinghy.   Bit of a brat I fear.   I still think that he spoiled the Tiger by changing its engine.

I agree with you about sensible shoes & cars, but one should have those little dreams now and then!

Regards

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

Brand new out of the box ( and it was in a box exported from the UK to SA).  And I thought there was only one engine size, but it was 4.2 litres.   Removable hardtop and soft top.  Pale blue & black. Got slides somewhere if I only knew how to post them here. Which I don't!

Silly times - did Johannesburg- Bulawayo in under 6 hours including frontier crossing time, the days when you saw the odd giraffe on the side of the road,  and a bit of street racing (not me) now and then. The odd Etype often used to try it on...

Took driving test in it - the cop/inspector was more keen to see under the bonnet- and I did pass - somehow.  Also pranged it - but not seriously.   Toured around SA - Cape Garden route,  Northern Transvaal, all of Natal etc.   Lovely for that, but as I was a young hippie then we would often sleep in it - grim...   'back seats', really a little platform thingy, designed for legless midgets.

Trouble is OH then was seriously silly, replaced engine with fully race-tuned 4.7 litre engine, and it needed a lower diff ratio of something, as it didn't like to use its first gear.  He's still out there, and now into rally driving - in his 60s - what a wally!

It got traded in for a Merc and the company attempting to sell it said that it was a lemon although it was still  quite new.

This was in the mid 1960s - happy days ...

Regards

Tegwini

[/quote]

My Twin Cam MGA only met ONE E Type in the Republic, on the beach front at Durban, that one had come off a Union Castle boat in order to avoid the english winter.  A useful tool for dragging the schmo birds that frequented Camps Bay and Clifton beaches.[:)] But for trips north to Katanga, etc an ex SAP tuned Studebaker Lark was comfortable on the strip roads. For the drive-in only one choice a Chevvy Impala.