trolls and trolling

odile

clair, one of our moderators- has recently suggested on another thread that  'a troll is a person who persists in posting controversial subjects'.

I have just checked in the dictionary - and that seems not to be the case! anyway my little grandson thinks trolls are great!

Question is, what is a forum for? for some it is to ask for practical info- for some for light entertainment, banter, music, discussing TV shows, etc. some come here to practice their French, that's great. Personally I also enjoy topics where you can learn something new and that makes you think and look at things from a different angle- possibly even change your mind as interesting facts or opinions come to light. If to enjoy a debate on something a bit more complex leads to being labeled a troll,  I believe it is wrong. Especially from moderators. And especially when another moderator tells you that that particular question or debate reminds them of a suppository joke, eg you can shove it up your xxxxxx. Terribly sorry, I am just quoting.  I am categorical that it goes against the code of practice of this forum.

I think you are mistaken or a little confused Odile, you are actually mis-quoting me, but never mind.

That remark was aimed at Woolybanana, as a joke in response to his question about having to read the code of conduct. 

[quote user="woolybanana"]

You mean we are supposed to read it?[kiss]

[/quote]

[quote user="Russethouse"]You mean you haven't [:)][/quote]

[quote user="Cat"]

Why am I suddenly reminded of the punchline of the suppository joke?

Yeah, but for all the good it did I might as well have shoved it up my ### ?

Only joshing you WoolyBee [:$]

[/quote]

I know that there is a spot of forum-rage going on at the moment, so you're forgiven [kiss]

FWIW, trolls are usually pretty easy to spot.

Their first posts are usually...

Why should I declare tax in France, who'd know if I didn't?

What exactly is wrong with driving on UK plates, I've got UK insurance, and don't need a tax disk coz I've SORNED the car?

Hello, this is my first post and I think the forum is wonderful, but...

Is it true that the French don't wash?

Any wife-swappers on the forum?

Thanks for that link forum admin sadly with no name. As I said above, it's great that you can learn new things thanks to the forum. As you know my mothertongue is French, and it is a version of the word I was unaware of.

I do think it is good that a forum is also a place where so called 'controversial' topics can be discussed, aired, debated- not just for 'fluffy' and purely practical stuff- without being called a troll.

[quote user="Cat"]

FWIW, trolls are usually pretty easy to spot.

Their first posts are usually...

Why should I declare tax in France, who'd know if I didn't?

What exactly is wrong with driving on UK plates, I've got UK insurance, and don't need a tax disk coz I've SORNED the car?

Hello, this is my first post and I think the forum is wonderful, but...

Is it true that the French don't wash?

Any wife-swappers on the forum?

[/quote]

I realise you either have no opinion or do not care but I made none of the above posts and yet shortly before it disappeared it was suggested that I was a 'flaming troll'.

Having never heard of this before I took it as some sort of compliment. I enjoy the Flamin' Groovies and used to enjoy pulling the hair out of those strange plastic toys.

Seems it wasn't entirely complimentary. I haven't slept since - well not more than 12 hours a day.

I enjoy macrame but don't want to discuss jute sculpture 24/7.

Are we meant to examine our navels online or have an interesting discussion?

I don't mind being insulted or having my views questioned, I just happen to have many interests and be wired differently to the average middle class bore.

My granny used to say "Sticks and stones can break your bones but words will never hurt you".

Should moderators like tax inspectors be rotated regularly to stop any suggestion of impropriety?

[quote user="Furry Knickers"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Furry Knickers"]Are there any wife swappers on the forum?[/quote]

Sorry! Divorced. But if you insist.[6]

[/quote]

I would gladly swap mine for a Cocker Spaniel!

[/quote]

Je suis vraiment désolé au coin pas de cocker; plutot des epagneuls bretons; je suppose une femelle. Please advise;

[quote user="Furry Knickers"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Furry Knickers"]Are there any wife swappers on the forum?[/quote]

Sorry! Divorced. But if you insist.[6]

[/quote]

I would gladly swap mine for a Cocker Spaniel!

[/quote]

Oik, Furry, you just leave my cocker spaniel alone!  Besides, she's been spayed.

Cynthia might have something to say about that as well!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Oik, Furry, you just leave my cocker spaniel alone!  Besides, she's been spayed.

Cynthia might have something to say about that as well!

[/quote]

Now you are labouring under a miscomprehension here! I would swap the quare one for a spaniel, but only because I love their dangly ears and big sad eyes. Shur I would swap the owl hooer for a Miles van der Rohe chair. A lad came into the pub the other night selling a bag of Jack Russels, they are cute too mind. Wish I bought them now.