Ordures menageres

brit

Paying full price for rubbish collection seems a bit rubbish when we are only there for 8weeks in a year and quite happy to take to local tip ourselves, at 91 euros for just 6months anyone any bright ideas?

The lorry still has to do its round, the workers still need their pay. The cost would have been worked out on each house having a collection so fair for everyone and something you have to just put up with. There will be plenty of other things to have a gripe over so get used to them.

We would never have been allowed to take "ordures ménagères" to the dump anyway; just stuff for the huge multifarious recycling bins.

There may be different sizes of domestic bin at different rates for official collection though. The secretary at my local mairie once suggested that, if I was only there for half the year, a half-size bin would be appropriate. But I reckoned when a family was in residence, it would fill a normal-sized bin as quickly as a local family would!

Any Ideas?

Spend more time in France to get your money's worth

or

Sell up.

Sorry but I get a bit tired of people who think they deserve a special privilege when those of us who are here full time pay taxes so that they have roads to drive down, trains to ride in, doctors and hospitals in case they fall ill etc. So if you were happy to pay an additional 16% of your current UK tax bill and give it to the French tax system, I would have a lot more sympathy.

Grumpy hat off

On this one, our commune's latest change to the system has us coming out slightly ahead of the game. We now pay a flat rate just the same as everyone else in the commune. I have no gripe, agreeing with Andy that it's as it should be. However, that flat rate now entitles everyone to just 19 collections a year. Above that, there is an additional charge. I'm thinking of auctioning our surplus to the highest bidder! (Kidding, Andy?)

By the way, OP, you only know how much you're paying because in France it's separate from your rates. Of course, in the UK it isn't so whether it's a second home or not you pay the same: only you don't "see" that, because it's not separated out. So basically how would you feel if you were subsidising all the second home owners and non-residents in your local UK area?

@Brit - you're only upset about it because as YCCMB says you happened to notice it on your bill.

Why is it any different than paying your whack for all the other items in the commune budget all year round, such as policing/roads/street lighting/staffing the déchetterie/staffing the mairie/paying the council street sweepers, gardeners, etc/setting up the floral displays/social aid/whatever facilities and amenities your commune happens to provide? Or come to that, paying the standing charges for leccy and water while you're not there? It's all part of deciding to keep a holiday home - the difference between renting a gite for a few weeks and having no responsibilities for anything outside those weeks,, and deciding to appropriate a little piece of France for your very own and become a member of the commune, which brings rights and also responsibilities.

Oh look there is a new fly on the window, lets all get our newspapers out and squat it. Really guys that what you lot sound like. Be nice and give the him/her a chance.

My father a couple of years ago told me he was very surprised that his council tax (or whatever it's called in France) had gone down by about 160 Euros. He was rather pleased till he got a bill for nearly 80 Euros for some type of service (which he didn't understand but turned out to be for his rubbish collection) over a period of six months and then he got another bill for the next six months i.e. two a year.

What I am saying is if the OP owned their property prior to this new system coming in they might also notice they got a reduction in their council tax and then these new bills turned up. This is because it used to be included in your council tax, it was taken out and then charged separately. I think you may also find that there is another, extra tax, if you run a business that produces extra waste like a hotel, café, bar etc.

My dad had a B&B at the time but only opened six months a year. Had no problem paying the household bill but went and tried to argue that he should only have to pay the business bill for six months as he was closed for the other six months. Basically he was politely told no, shown the door and told not to go back.

I am afraid you just have to pay it, sorry.

Thanks for that, Cathar...but..Having owned a home for not far shy of 20 years in France, the cost of waste collection has always been invoiced to us separately, and whilst there may be exceptions in some parts of the country, I strongly suspect that the majority have always done the same. Nothing new.

It's a bit like the old chestnut about "surely I don't need to pay for a French TV licence because I only watch UK TV" which used to pop up almost weekly.

My taxes ordures ménagère come included in the taxes foncières and represent just under a quarter of what I pay, but at €219 a year for 6 apartments I aint moaning!

That said all the tenants/renters will be already be paying for ordures ménagère at their own homes, they cannot create rubbish in 2 places at once and they dont create much rubbish at allas most eat in the canteen, even the tourists dont produce a lot and what they do, usually MacDo's or pizza boxes go in the recycling, I am still only putting out one wheely bin per week, less than the majority of family foyers.

Chancer you are back. You said you would never post again. LOL. Are you bored of the other forum ? lol

P.S Yes my car is back and working. It is been back about three weeks. Did not pay a thing. There is a tiny scratch in it but I will let them off for that. So it was a good result. In all we were without the car for 35 days.

It is going to the Med in a few weeks time for a good run. Lets hope we get there. But we have a stop planned just in case.

Tell Mysty he is a numpty. But I love him.

Back on topic.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"] However, that flat rate now entitles everyone to just 19 collections a year. [/quote]

Lucky you! We just get 17 collections a year without paying extra. Ours is included in the TdH, but I don't expect that to reduce.

For the record....ALBF asked to be deactivated.

It is not my type of forum.

I really don't care what people are eating tonight, listening to, last good night, early good morning and if they like French bread.

But also, Chancer hijacks each thread and writes three paragraphs about his life that has nothing to do with the thread or answer the question that was posed. LOL

Chancer....WRITE A BOOK !!! ...someone will buy it...maybe. Not.

Then there are the Brexit threads. FE forum Mk 2. Jeeesus. What about French issues.

But I wish the new Brexit forum all the best.

The forum is also bit complicated layout wise.

Not good for my poorly eyes.

I'd love to enlighten you but I have no clue. I have not been given the courtesy of an explanation. I started a thread, one of the owners seemed hell-bent on changing the topic from what I'd posted about to how racist the UK was, and I said a couple of times that I wasn't going to bite, and nor did I. But he persisted. So I eventually replied. Politely but robustly. Then I forgot all about it and went about my day. About eight hours later I came back and my account was deactivated and the thread deleted. I don't think his wife likes me. ???.

Yet only a short time before, he was sending me unsolicited pm's about another poster being a troll and suggesting I didn't reply to his posts, but AFAIK the post I DID reply to in which the troll suggested it was a good thing to let a multiple rapist walk free is still available to read. Apparently you can troll for days and be tolerated, but get banned for ...well, I'm absolutely clueless as to what I've been banned for. Go figure. My life is none the poorer. I'm crocheting a blanket ?

This is my third blanket in just over a year. It's not huge, unlike the first one. The second one was to use up the wool from the first one. This third one was a desperation project because it wouldn't stop raining, and now I feel a fool for crocheting a blanket in 27 degrees! It will have taken me about 10 days I think, by the time it's finished. Crochet grows VERY quickly, compared to knitting!

[quote user="brit"]Paying full price for rubbish collection seems a bit rubbish when we are only there for 8weeks in a year and quite happy to take to local tip ourselves, at 91 euros for just 6months anyone any bright ideas?[/quote]

Oh well at least I'm paying into the French system somehow hey ho!