UK A " menace " to the rest of the world says the USA

Frederick

[quote user="Gengulphus"]
Lovely to see the change of attitude, though.  I do not remember there being a great deal of transatlantic outrage when the IRA used to make their continual fundraising visits to dear ole Uncle Sam.

[/quote]

Abso-blinking-right, I lost my windows in the Canary Wharf bombing plus all those nights the tubes stopped running due to suspect packages etc not to mention a few friends I lost in NI all funded by blinking NORAID.

[quote user="Dog"]All the moustachioed retired generals wearing plus fours and sporting a monicle must have been chortling in their Allbran when they read this in the Torygraph.[/quote]

Very strange, I've never actually met a retired general who wears plus fours and has a monacle. They all seemed to be quite modern, reasonably switched on, life experienced types of people. Are you perhaps talking about out of date stereotypes who died out years ago?

[quote user="powerdesal"]Very strange, I've never actually met a retired general who wears plus fours and has a monacle. They all seemed to be quite modern, reasonably switched on, life experienced types of people. Are you perhaps talking about out of date stereotypes who died out years ago?[/quote]I am sorry to hear that the breed is extinct.  But I find it impossible to conceive that any person who wore plus fours and had a monocle would eat 'Allbran'.

Interesting point in the telegraph about integration in society though, especially when you consider that in terms of demographics, Muslim population in USA is 4.4% and UK is 2.7% (from wikepedia under demographics). I am actually very shocked that both numbers are that low.

[quote user="baypond"]Interesting point in the telegraph about integration in society though, especially when you consider that in terms of demographics, Muslim population in USA is 4.4% and UK is 2.7% (from wikepedia under demographics). I am actually very shocked that both numbers are that low.

[/quote]

2.4 million of 60 million is 4% not 2.7.

Article

I think that 2.7% to 3% is about right. The problem is that if you are brown skinned everyone seems to think you are a Muslim where in fact Hindu's and Sikhs actually out number them. Mind you the figures banded around do come from the census and religion was not a compulsory question to be answered.

Quoting from the Telegraph article:

"There was also criticism of the “ghettoisation” of British Muslims, compared with the “assimilation” of Muslims in America."

I can't speak from experience but I had it in mind that America has it's ghetto problems, too. Why else the (brilliant) Elvis song?

But the quote makes a valid point.Whilst overall national percentages seem low, it is the concentration in particular areas that is the real problem. Successive UK governments' fear of being branded racist or anti-religion has encouraged this situation, playing into the hands of (sorry, Abu Hamza) extremists.