Please, petrolheads, tell me ...

Frenchie

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be very wary of a marque which is all but dead. Fewer and fewer cars around make for more and more expensive spares and servicing.  It also thought of itself as being on the fringes of the luxury car market so more expensive to begin with.  I wouldn't have one in your shoes - get something less packed with add-ons and more full of reliable, basic, easily sourced bits.

Diesel engines of this era - other than German and French - weren't great and I'm not sure where the diesel block for this came from (I'm trying to find out.).  Look at this:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/rover/45-hatchback/full-review/23456-5

for instance.

I loved my 820 but that was in the era when the things were common.  Nowadays, not so sure.  If economy is a must for you, I'd avoid  it.

There is rather a lot of uninformed and automatic criticism of later Rovers whereas the truth is that they were not bad cars, particularly the diesels. Boring yes but that's not really relevant.

I don't really know about servicing but I've been quite surprised at how many Rovers I've seen in France so it's probably is no worse or difficult than any other niche make or model. Routine stuff any garage can cope with and hopefully, with only a modest 100k km, it will still be in relatively good mechanical order and not require anything over and above that for a good while.

I don't know if the same holds for French owners but in UK Rovers were ever popular with a certain, shall we say cautious and careful sector of the motoring public, which meant that they were usually very well looked after.

The usual caveats about having it thoroughly checked over etc. apply of course [;-)]

EDIT: Crossed posts and of course my comment about uninformed criticism is in no way aimed at you Coops [kiss]

Don't take my word for it, read  .honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/rover/45-1999/ 

''Timing belts of L Series diesels apparently do last the scheduled 5 years or 84,000 miles.''

Ask if the timing belt has been replaced and see the bill; it should have been last year, if not then ask your garage how much to replace it because it should be done before you buy otherwise expensive things could go wrong;

Aw, Erns!

I agree with your observations.  However, something like this would tempt me an awful lot more:

http://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occasion-annonce-11495343.html

A nice VAG diesel in a well-built car with a good reputation.

If the Rover weren't a diesel I'd feel differently about it but really Japs weren't good at the things in '04 (I assmue it's a Honda block?)

In your shoes I would give it a swerve for the reason that parts are no longer manufactured for it.

You would be putting yourself in a position of being held to ransom every time you visit a garage for anything other than regular service items, its bad enough what they get away with for current French models, a Rover would just be a license to turn you over.

Its a different matter if you are passionate about the marque and are willing to traipse around autojumbles or buy bits from other enthusiasts across the globe but I cant somehow see modern Rovers ever becoming classics.

That said Sid le sexist has been parking his Austin Allegro (A.K.A. All aggro) outside my house whenever he is on shift for the last 5 years.

For what's it's worth, my opinion, all cars are just so expensive in France. Better to buy in the UK then do the paperwork for France. I know it's a chore but it can all be done in one day provided you have to certificate of conformity. Personally I rather like driving RHD here, I feel very safe in the gutter.

Thanks for your posts, now I think I'd better try and look for a more common car.

I ve also seen a 307  1.6 HDI 110cv

Seems to be ok, from end 2004 , 107 000 km

The timing belt s been changed, and the " pompe à eau".

I quite like the 307, but then again your advice would be precious.

There are a few cars that I intend to see, sorry to annoy you with this;.. [:$]

[quote user="cooperlola"] http://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occasion-annonce-11495343.html  A nice VAG diesel   [/quote]

At that price for a used car you are so very close to a new modern small car, with the benefit of manufacturers warranty, finance deals, and low running costs; Small new petrol cars are setting new standards and diesel is not necessarily the way to go unless doing mega mileage, look at  Chevrolet spark-2010/. No worries!

No annoyance at all Frenchie, why on earth would you think that [blink]

Coops you are preaching to a Skoda convert so I agree completely however, although we don't know Frenchies budget, I suspect that €5900 is an order of magnitude higher than what might be being asked for the Rover, even by French standards!

[quote user="AnOther"]No annoyance at all Frenchie, why on earth would you think that [blink] Because I ask you all to help me.. [:$]

Coops you are preaching to a Skoda convert so I agree completely however, although we don't know Frenchies budget, I suspect that €5900 is an order of magnitude higher than what might be being asked for the Rover, even by French standards!

[/quote]

My budget is 7000 euros max, 6500 would be better.

The rover is 6000 !

I ain't no petrolhead, Frenchie, but I hope I do possess some commonsense (OK, then, not a LOT but some)!

Personally, I wouldn't buy a secondhand car owned by a French person............sorry to say this and I am [:$]ing even as I speak and it's the one and only occasion when I am a little bit racist.  The French drive like demons (IMHO) and I can't help thinking that they would have k****ed a car in 6 years.

Having said that, as Erns says, these cars wouldn't have been favoured by any but the most conservative drivers and the mileage (if genuine) is indeed low.

We did buy a secondhand car from a garage but the car was owned by the friend of someone on this Forum so I knew what we were buying and what sort of owner the car belonged to.

Good Luck with the search, Frenchie![:D]

I'll tell you the truth, Frenchie, these French drivers are something else!  I mean they are crazy and, after all there must be a reason as to why you have some of the best roads in the world and some of the worst fatality rates on those wonderful roads.

Of course, I am speaking generally and you, Frenchie, I am sure are an exemplary driver![:P]

Reg, only just seen this post.

My advice for you in your situation is pretty straightforward, get a car from a local reputable garage with a good after sales history.

Get as good a warranty as you can and haggle, even french garages are feeling the pinch at the moment.

As to type and model well, your choice, I'd always buy German myself.

There is nothing wrong with French cars once the bits that fall off initially, have been put back on properly. [Www][:D]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Those are very high mileage cars for their age. Mine's a 2005 and only has 70,000km on. Will be selling it next year if you can hang on, probably for around €7k. It's a 206cc. Perfect if you're a hairdresser.[/quote]

In my view ,just around 100 000  ( slightly under or over) is not a high kilométrage , for a diesel.

To Bugs,

It is not easy to find an Asian or German ticking all my boxes around here, and I don't want to go at the other side of France, a I have family arriving on thursday.

My requirements are  5 doors, diesel, under 100 000 km ( or just slightly over.) , timing belt done, air con, from 2005/2004/

What s wrong with a Peugeot 307 Hdi ?

I agree with Bugs about the dealer (as I think was discussed on your previous thread?)  I bought my Note off my dealer's forecourt and it came with a year's warranty (it also cost what I'd got back for my Micra and is a year newer with 20k less on the clock!) which makes for great peace of mind.  The o/h has just taken it for its first CTA so I'll let you know....

John has a point about the diesels.  Ask yourself how many ks you expect the car to do in its lifetime with you and decide whether you'll ever make the difference in price up within its lifetime.  A brand new Pixo, for instance, you can pick up within your budget complete with its 3 year warranty.  A Twigo likewise.  Worth considering.  Now, I know everybody will go [+o(] but a Dacia Sandero (Renault engine and mechanics again) costs 9190 list but has a bonus of 2k from the state (I kid you not.)  Bugs may be right about German cars but you'll struggle within your price range because everybody agrees with him! 

[quote user="Frenchie"]

The boot needs to be of a reasonable size to put my shopping in [Www]

[/quote]Put down the rear seats of the hatch and treat it like a mini-van as I always did my Micra.  There are just two of you so you only ever need two seats, n'est-ce pas?

Not sure where the 'Asian' bit came from Reg, not me. The 307 would suit you well, I think and the hatchback would tick all your boxes.

[quote user="Frenchie"]From a garage, yes, true, means security. But their cars are more

expensive..[/quote]

My experience with used vehicles is that faults, if they happen, occur within three months of buying the car, so while a dealers price may be more expensive it could work out much cheaper in the end.