Is the nature of the forum changing?

woolybanana

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just made the same realisation (Idun is T U). 

I was one of the ones who called T U very negative and went on about how everything was rosy in France and education was brill , I wish I had listened to you TU/Idun, would have saved me some heartache, thankfully the penny dropped for me on the education front and my son is none the worse for it all back in the UK.  Funnily enough it was lving in the Alps that made me realise how poor it was for him!

Wooly do you want us non living ex-immigrants with houses still in France not to post?  Do we change the flow of things do you think?  I still have too much cash tied up in France to just switch off, I also visit regularly so would like to keep in touch with people, no other reason.

I used to be Cheryla, but then the forum threw a wobbly and I had to re-register.

I find it interesting to read peoples experiences when they've moved back to the UK.

As for us, we've been here getting on for 9 years, moved 5 times, renovated 4 houses and now living in a new house in town near to shops and beach.

[quote user="Panda"]

I just made the same realisation (Idun is T U). 

I was one of the ones who called T U very negative and went on about how everything was rosy in France and education was brill , I wish I had listened to you TU/Idun, would have saved me some heartache, thankfully the penny dropped for me on the education front and my son is none the worse for it all back in the UK.  Funnily enough it was lving in the Alps that made me realise how poor it was for him!

Wooly do you want us non living ex-immigrants with houses still in France not to post?  Do we change the flow of things do you think?  I still have too much cash tied up in France to just switch off, I also visit regularly so would like to keep in touch with people, no other reason.

[/quote]

I like your perspective and value it, Spanda and TuTuk and others who post from different perspectives; What we need now is Normie and Ron, the happy couple, paxed at last!

Idun.

I had done searches on pages Jaune etc to find a scierie and the closest I found was over 100kms away on the coast, what is so surreal is that there were literally hudreds around here at one time, all hydro or hydro-electric driven, I know sons of sawyers and retired sawyers but no scieries.

Then believe it or not last Saturday whilst driving to Ailly sur Noye for the brilliant spectacle "Le souffle de la terre" I passed one that looked alive and kicking less than 40K's from me, now OK it was in a country area but only a few miles south of the metropolis of Amiens,  I really have been searching for over 5 years and asking just about anyone that might have an idea, the problem is people around where I live just dont get out and about.

Whenever I come across a single or group of commercial premises or small industrial park I have a poke around and see what is there, I make a note of anything usefull because so many of them dont even seem to feel the need to be in les pages jaunes.

Now that just reminded me. Moi getting to grips with french - amused my friends and neighbours and most people at the school no end when we got our femail puppy.

I being dumb thought that if a boy pup was a chiot, then a girl one was a chiotte.

[quote user="idun"]I being dumb thought that if a boy pup was a chiot, then a girl one was a chiotte.[/quote]

Not dumb, just plain ignorant - like me. My problem was preservatives in sausages ... now I know they are conservateurs, but back then ...

Welcome back TU; I've often wondered how you were getting on 'up north'.

Sue

Ah now I understood early on what preservati(f)(ves) were and with my accent sounds the same anyway.

I used to find it reassuring when I was back in the UK that there were none in many products and slightly revolted that I had even considered the possibility that there could have been.

Can't do smileys.

chancer now I think about it we have had huge runs out to get stuff, we just sort of did it, In fact we just used to get out and go. I used to go and see a friend who lived 80kms away for a couple of hours on an afternoon, or go to Lyon or Geneva. There again, that may have been in the heady days when I was paying 2Francs90 for a litre of gasoil but it did creep up eventually.

The biggest run out we ever had was that husband said he would like me to go with him when he had to pick something up one day. And the place was about 20kms north of Chartres, so 650kms there and 650 back.

And this thing he picked up he never used, then left in France giving it to a friend, so it wasn't something that we ever really needed anyway.

Frenchie, don't start me about french education, yes I realise that you are in french education, but it is the shame of France. And 'I' know so much about it that when I think about it, it makes my head hurt and I am pained with the awfulness of how it doesn't work for far too many kids.

At one point during our personal nightmare I ended up in contact with a group of teachers in Grenoble who were very concerned at how it was not working and why. I sincerely hope that they are still trying to improve things and it was lovely to listen to caring professionals who had the sense to ask, 'where is it going wrong for so many? What can we do?'

And as someone always involved with the parents groups, I was very concerned for other kids before mine even started being problematic.

The last meeting I went to at my eldest son's lycee a few weeks before he walked out, I quote,his french teacher said, ' I am just here to give my lessons and if he hasn't understood then that is his problem' and then the parting salvo at his previous french teacher who was brilliant and helpful and brought him on, ' you have to understand that it is not my job to act like his previous teacher! Her body language arrogant and haughty and there was nothing I could do about it as she was right, now how 'good' is that. That is not a teacher that is someone who knew her subject and which lessons to give, who spit it out at every lesson and to hell with the pupils who didn't get it.

Ofcourse there are those kids who fit perfectly into that little round hole and just do marvellously well. How actually bright they are I have no idea, they are good at swallowing and regurgitating lessons that is for sure! I have certainly encountered enough professional people in France, highly qualified, who lack any lateral thinking or imagination and yet they passed their exams with flying colours.

Predjudiced, I'm not. I was faced with an archaic system that on average demeans and demoralises, well how many, I would say around a third of every class. It is not predjudice when one sees injustice and speaks out, it is being a humanitarian.

Is the nature of the forum changing ?

From my own point of view yes it is. I find less points of interest hence don't post very much, although I occasionally read the various threads.

It appears to be more ''cliquish'' (sp) than it used to be, at times almost seeming to be a 'private' forum for a limited number of members, however I could be wrong......I was once before.

In short, its become boring (IMHO).