THIS IS NOT A STATE VISIT.........

woolybanana

I can't help feeling sympathy for social workers. They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

I'm sure that they must help lots of families, but it's the rare cases where something goes wrong which are used to illustrate their failings. Obviously there needs to be research into those cases where things go wrong, but I'd think that some of the families would not be easy to work with.

I wouldn't want to be a social worker.

I should not want to be a Catholic Priest.......also seemingly damned....presumably they must all be evil and none of them seeking to do God's work.

The thing with sweeping statements is that innocents get caught up in the crossfire........

The problems with Religion, Social work and other 'Mass people organisations' is that innocents get caught up in the crossfire.

Regards comments in relation to mass repression etc. I think that more recent events in Europe involving the extermination of ethnicity whether it be at German or Yugoslavian hands may perhaps be slightly more relevant that to suggest Catholicism may be the author of the greatest ills.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

This nasty bit of work sits on the pope's right hand, so to speak. I wonder how much of his attitude is attitude is that of old sly eyes, his master. Quite a lot I should think. If this is a State visit then some sort of apology is needed pdq:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11317441

[/quote]

Hi Wooly,

Didn't know Peter Mandelson was involved!

[quote user="woolybanana"]

This nasty bit of work sits on the pope's right hand, so to speak. I wonder how much of his attitude is attitude is that of old sly eyes, his master. Quite a lot I should think. If this is a State visit then some sort of apology is needed pdq:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11317441

[/quote]

I think some of what he said might be true. Church attendance is down across most Christian religions in the UK including C of E and Catholic. Many 'chapels' have ended up as private houses. He was right about the stewardess wearing a cross, as said it is now permitted. As for 'Thief-row' and the surrounding area being like a third world country, well in some ways I see his point but then that, and worse, could be said about many entry points to the UK. Personally on arriving at Dover I have often felt I had driven in to the local waste dump with all the litter etc.

However, for somebody of such 'high position' within an international group to say such a thing is a bit stupid, not exactly diplomatic after the UK tax payer has been forced to shed out so much money so his boss can come and visit.

[quote user="Quillan"]I think some of what he said might be true. Church attendance is down across most Christian religions in the UK including C of E and Catholic. Many 'chapels' have ended up as private houses. He was right about the stewardess wearing a cross, as said it is now permitted. As for 'Thief-row' and the surrounding area being like a third world country, well in some ways I see his point but then that, and worse, could be said about many entry points to the UK. Personally on arriving at Dover I have often felt I had driven in to the local waste dump with all the litter etc.

[/quote]

Heathrow is like a Third-world country. Filthy dirty and full of dossers and beggars the last time we arrived there.

That said, the bloke is still a prat.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I think some of what he said might be true. Church attendance is down across most Christian religions in the UK including C of E and Catholic. Many 'chapels' have ended up as private houses. He was right about the stewardess wearing a cross, as said it is now permitted. As for 'Thief-row' and the surrounding area being like a third world country, well in some ways I see his point but then that, and worse, could be said about many entry points to the UK. Personally on arriving at Dover I have often felt I had driven in to the local waste dump with all the litter etc.

However, for somebody of such 'high position' within an international group to say such a thing is a bit stupid, not exactly diplomatic after the UK tax payer has been forced to shed out so much money so his boss can come and visit.

[/quote]

So a country that rejects Italians and their religous mis beliefs is third world is it?

Maybe after thousands of years people can see through religion and the murdering of thousands of non believers in order to establish themselves as the leading religion.

Romans go home!

Lucky you passed through to raise the tone, eh??

As someone who until recently spent more time than was healthy "passing through" Heathrow, I fail to recognise your description.  Dover, OTOH, is really very unattractive. Then again, given the volume of "traffic" that both have to deal with, keeping them clean and tidy is probably quite difficult.

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

So a country that rejects Italians and their religous mis beliefs is third world is it?

Maybe after thousands of years people can see through religion and the murdering of thousands of non believers in order to establish themselves as the leading religion.

Romans go home!

[/quote]

I don't think the country rejects Italians or people with belief's, the multicultural, multi belief population of the UK proves that. I object to people having to pay (or any othe country having to pay) for visits by heads of religious groups. I do however agree religion, in whatever form, has caused so much death and destruction over the years that it does have a lot to answer for.

It's threads like this that may just rekindle my own dwindling interest in Catholicism.

Heathrow and Dover .....not quite the Lake District are they?

Is the Pope having an entourage that different to many other dignitaries?

Maybe if the UK handed back the Parishes  Lands and Churches stolen during the 'Reformatinon'  The Pope would be more inclined to pay his own way.

There's nothing like 3 inches of bullet proof glass to say 'I believe there's idiots with guns out there' or 'I am German and visiting London' or 'The Lord has provided me with secure transport it would be churlish to refuse'

I am not overly bothered by what people say on here because this is an internet forum and will have as much effect on the Pope's visit to the UK as a deputation from the union of yoghurt pot collectors getting up a poll.........

For all those vehemently anti Catholic....maybe you aren't anti - religion at all because surely that in itself is sectarian and arguably a religion in itself?

I had a similar chat with my yungest daughter who was asked at school to 'invent a religion' I firstly told her....."It's already been done...many times and badly" I then said ..try comparing Catholicism to Microsoft windows.......she got first prize .....and I am sure the 'Mysterious workings bit' she pinched from her old Dad...

I don't know if it works...I don't actually need to know it works or question the why...because if I did I may not understand the explanation....all I know is that on balance and despite its mysterious and confusing workings...the day may come when I cry out in desperation...for God's sake work!....and if it does ...do I thank God for Bill Gates or do I thank God for God....or do I simply wonder....why on earth did I say that?

Amen

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

There's nothing like 3 inches of bullet proof glass to say 'I believe there's idiots with guns out there' or 'I am German and visiting London' or 'The Lord has provided me with secure transport it would be churlish to refuse'

[/quote]

Or to curse god for creating satan. Just saying, can work both ways.

Personally, I have no idea what to believe, who is wrong and who is right. I just think there is only one truth, and I'd have more chance in winning the lotto 5000000 times on the trot than of finding what the true religion (or not) is.

I am curious.  I have been sifting through You Tube videos without success to hear Pope Benedict's voice.  Does he speak English?  When he gave his speech(es) in the UK, what language did he speak.  What language does he usually speak in (I know that he is German but presumably not many others in the Vatican speak German)? 

Reminds me of the old nazi that the priest hid in father ted.

Father Seamus Fitzpatrick: YOU LIAR! You broke all the plates and then you said "Ah, I am so tired! I never had to wash up plates when I was in the Wehrmacht!

[Father Fitzpatrick and his Nazi friend take two valium]

Father Seamus Fitzpatrick: Wait, these aren't Valium! These are the cyanide pills we kept for emergencies! You put cyanide next to the Valium, you old fool, that's asking for trouble!

Nazi Veteran: Oh, shut up!

Father Seamus Fitzpatrick: You shut up! We've only got fifteen seconds to live