cost of postage stamp to UK

mint

Yes, I know it's rather grand to put this in French Finance[:-))]  And it's true that this is small [B]

The stamps at the moment are for "Europe" but for postage purposes, is UK still Europe?

Might ask at the bureau de poste later as I have a registered letter to get off this afternoon.

On 1 Jan 2019 they changed the stamp charge zones. There is no longer a separate charge for Europe and for the Rest of the World. There is now only a mauve International stamp. I've not been able to find out whether old blue stamps (which have Europe on them) can be used for postage outside Europe!

This short link t.ly/nwYPL gives the full 2020 postal pricing

or the full link https://www.laposte.fr/medias/sys_master/apache_synchronised/h41/hbf/12070109937694/COCL-Part-M-tropole.pdf

That is interesting, this week I had to send a condolence card to Canada and a birthday card to France, £1.55 and £1.35.

And it is a big thing mint and worthy of french finance, I used to send at least 60 christmas cards and letters every xmas when I lived in France, plus pre internet and cheap calls, letters in abundance. I thought that they were dear enough way back then, but for xmas at least, would cost me a fortune now.

This is a perennial problem at Christmas and for a number of years, Hitherto, I have been particularly daft about the whole thing i.e. been completely honest over it.

Mrs G always manages to buy large enough cards that are ‘just there or just over’ the 20gm limit.

It may not seem important, but 40 or so cards, when it’s another €1.40 or whatever the price, is important.

This year, most of the cards were ‘over’. I just asked for 40-ish stamps at the below 20gm rate and posted them. They all turned up. They just have to get past the initial ‘check’. Nobody worries after that.

Oh ....... and before anybody says “Why send Christmas Cards?”. We do & it suits us.

For me it was worth it when in France to keep in touch with those I care about, because I didn't

just send cards to old friends and family  in  the UK but to new ones we had

made and to new friends we had made from other countries.

I know that there is that awful expression 'round robin' letters, but in fact, I would send an individual letter to everyone with the card, if we were not in regular contact. And I would get them back too.

I don't really send them any more, well a handful to friends in France,

and always a calender to one special friend........ sent her a Beryl

Cook Calender last year, thought it would amuse her, usually I send one just of NE Country and Coast, the calenders cost a fortune to send.

ps I love Beryl Cook's work.[:D][:D][:D]

You know by answering you have opened a whole new bag of worms for him. We will have what if the shop is closed, what if your car is also broken and you can't get out to buy one, what if the printer has run out of ink, what happens in a power cut, what happens if the Internet is broken, what if your electricity supply is cut, what happens if your PC is broken and a lot more what ifs.

If you like France so much you should go to your local post office and buy them over the counter which will save jobs. With the post office supplying all these services online they won't need so many post offices or staff.

[quote user="Cathar Tours"]

If you like France so much you should go to your local post office and buy them over the counter which will save jobs. With the post office supplying all these services online they won't need so many post offices or staff.[/quote]

Do you honestly think post office workers will lose their jobs because I print my stamps at home? Seriously? How long have you lived in France? ???

Guess what - I also use self-service checkouts wherever I can. I guess that means the Guillotine for me huh ? ???

Well Simon it seems that on average just over 400 post offices in France have closed per year between 2016 and December 2019 (Le Parisien, Le Figaro and numerous other French sources just Google). That does not mean all those that worked there were laid off. In Paris some were relocated to a new sort of super post office in a shopping centre. The official reason according to the post office is lack of people using them.

The main reason is the Internet. Most people send only a few letters every year choosing to use email and families tend to use Facebook etc. As somebody said you can pay for and print off package labels and you don't even have to go to the post office because your postman/woman will collect. Personally I can't even remember when I last went to any post office not even for Christmas now because we all use e-cards.

PS. I think if you look you might just spot that I don't live in France. My dad did and I worked in one of his businesses during the summer break from Uni. I have however once or twice used La Poste and I have to say it makes the UK post office look quite professional and that's not an easy task.

I have sent e cards a couple of times, as very very good friends have been away. If they are not alone I normally give a card to their OH for them, but if they are off alone, then an ecard suffices. And one friend is often flexible with return dates, so if they aren't going to be home, I send an ecard then too.

I am not keen, but they have their place. I would never say never.