Printers and Ink Cartridges

Christine Animal

Friends in France who have a group and use their printer a lot to print out flyers etc for their gigs, bought a Canon printer and their subsequent generic cartriges from Leclerc were dirt cheap, I mean really really cheap and lots of ink in them.

Our puter, didn't like the Canon printer though, so we could not have one.

[quote user="idun"]

Friends in France who have a group and use their printer a lot to print out flyers etc for their gigs, bought a Canon printer and their subsequent generic cartriges from Leclerc were dirt cheap, I mean really really cheap and lots of ink in them.

Our puter, didn't like the Canon printer though, so we could not have one.

[/quote]

Generic cartridges from Leclerc are dirt cheap, only if you call 15 euros a pop, cheap!

that is not what I call cheap!

new printer/scanner/photocopier, with ink cartridges included  £50 !

I call that cheap!

I've fallen into the "might as well buy a new printer" thing myself but really, isn't it a sad world where - in order for the manufacturers to force us to buy their overpriced consumables, they make their printers so cheap that they become consumable instead?  What will the population of tomorrow (likely to be much higher than it is today) do, one is bound to wonder?

Before we moved to France we ran a large ink cartridge mail order company so from experience, the cheapest printers to run are Canon and the dearest is Lexmark. Compatible cartridges are great for Epson and Canon printers as they are new copies of the original. Compatible cartridges for HP, Lexmark, Dell etc are in fact reconditioned/refilled cartridges and as such are prone to failure.

My original post was concerning a Canon Pixma M 250 with cartridges for 39.90 euros.  The cartridges to replace them seem to cost around 32 euros!

Now if you purchase the cartridges, then your printer goes bust, well.  This happened to me with an Epson.  Thought I was very clever purchasing cheap cartridges, even ordered two sets for an even greater bargain, then the printer packed up!

Thank you for your kind offer Sweets, but not the same make.   [:)]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

My original post was concerning a Canon Pixma M 250 with cartridges for 39.90 euros.  The cartridges to replace them seem to cost around 32 euros!

Now if you purchase the cartridges, then your printer goes bust, well.  This happened to me with an Epson.  Thought I was very clever purchasing cheap cartridges, even ordered two sets for an even greater bargain, then the printer packed up!

[/quote]

The original cartridges are for light use, contents half those for frequent use.

Check the millilitres on the packaging.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

[/quote]

I have been using compatible( cheap) cartridges for my Epson for about 2 years now and have had no problems, at the minute I'm paying around £5 for four cartridges. OK I'm not doing commercial printing but for normal domestic use; printing copying etc. excellent

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="Christine Animal"]

[/quote]

I have been using compatible( cheap) cartridges for my Epson for about 2 years now and have had no problems, at the minute I'm paying around £5 for four cartridges. OK I'm not doing commercial printing but for normal domestic use; printing copying etc. excellent

[/quote]

Ditto.

Christine try taking them out of the packets just before use.

And always turn your printer off completely so the print head parks up.

Our friends were paying around 4€ give or take a pop for cartouches in leclerc for their canon printer. I made sure I checked on prices of ink before buying one. And use their printer, they certainly did, 100's of copies at a time.

It was just a pity that our puter would not accept a canon printer and we ended up with an epsom and epsom prices.

[quote user="idun"]

Our friends were paying around 4€ give or take a pop for cartouches in leclerc for their canon printer. I made sure I checked on prices of ink before buying one. And use their printer, they certainly did, 100's of copies at a time.

It was just a pity that our puter would not accept a canon printer and we ended up with an epsom and epsom prices.

[/quote]

That is like saying my car won't drive on Dunlop tyres! With the correct driver a PC will see any printer.

I've found, personally, that Epson cartridges dry out completely if lightly used, but HP ones seem much more tolerant of light use. Can't speak for Canon, Lexmark, etc.

But we only use an inkjet if we actually need colour. For everyday printing a cheap mono laser from Samsung is perfect, and far more economical, even with compatible cartridges from ebay.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Drivers for XP will not always be updated for vista and 7.

And don't mention scanners!

[/quote]It took a lot of pfaffing about but eventually I got my trusty HP950c going under Windows 7 so if at first you don't succeed [;-)]

A largely unknown problem with most inkjets is with head cleaning. Every time you turn the printer on it goes through a cleaning cycle - which consumes ink. This often means that if you are only printing a couple of pages the cleaning process will have consumed more ink than the actual print job itself [:-))]

The alternative is to leave the printer switched on but then of course you've got the cost of electricity to think of, plus if you don't use it very often the heads are liable to dry out, that's what the switch on cleaning process is meant for doh !

Decisions decisions [blink]

I've got a Canon Pixma MG6150 at the moment but I'm pretty sure my next printer will be a colour laser.

[quote user="AnOther"]I've got a Canon Pixma MG6150 at the moment but I'm pretty sure my next printer will be a colour laser.
[/quote]

As long as you aren't using it for photography printing, auditioned a few lasers recently and the good end of the inkjets is way better for photographs and lasers don't like glossy photo paper so it's matt only.

There does seem to be a problem with Canon drivers not tolerating any others on the PC even another Canon. removing/uninstalling all the other printers and then re installing the Canon driver worked for me.

As Christine's first post said why not just by a new printer, because new printers are only shipped with less than half full sometimes not even that to test the printer. Come over to the dark side (generic cartridges) yes it will invalidate your warranty but the cost saving will buy you a new printer by the time the warranty is out.

Ink more expensive than whisky, I should say so, manufacturers ink is the most expensive fluid on the planet at £1300 per litre

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2566135/ShowPost.aspx

I have an old Epson Sylus C66, which does fine for what I need. I get Brand X cartridges via Ebay uk, usually shipped direct from Hong Kong for pennies. Buying a load of 20 cartridges (4 of each colour and 8 blacks) works out around 90p per cartridge, including shpping. Having bought a few of these loads, I have found perhaps two or three that were faulty and not recognised by the printer, but at that price, I don't mind.

There are several supplirs doing offers like these - you just need to spend an hour or two sifting through all the listings looking for a good deal.