Olympic Games

NickP

This is a great, yet very difficult question and I have no answer.

I keep thinking about well known people, but most are so flawed that I wouldn't want them doing it.

In fact, I think that there should be a draw to do it. All the young british athletes who are too young to participate in the 2012 Olympics and who have won national gold medals in their chosen sport should be put into the draw and one selected like that. That's what I would like to happen.

OR

Peter Mandelson, dressed in a Prince of Darkness suit, as it would amuse me no end.

I daresay neither will happen.

I would have thought the Queen should light it, she launches great ships and is head of Great Britain otherwise someone like Steve Redgrave who is a legend in Olympics and it would be an honour for the country to bestow on him for his achievements.

I think Steve Redgrave would be an excellent choice. My other thought is Claire Lomas , who managed to complete the London marathon after 16 days of effort and courage in a 'bionic suit', with somebody directly behind her each step of the way to catch or steady her when necessary. She managed to raise about £90,000 for research into spinal injuries. I think that the qualities she has shown, such as huge courage and endurance embody the spirit of the Olympic Games.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/london/woman-denied-medal-by-london-marathon-organisers-gets-15-from-public-7722070.html

It would actually make a nice change if they didn't wheel out Steve Redgrave again. He seems to have become the default Olympian for every occasion.

If pushed, I'd quite fancy seeing Chris Hoy do it.

I doubt they'll ask the Queen.....it's up a lot of steps, and I can't see her in a track suit sprinting up the steps with the torch at her age....

Haven't you heard, 'elf & safety' have declared it too hazardous to run with a lighted torch so they are faking it with bits of red ribbon to simulate flames.

The environmentalists had a hand in it too, all that unnecessary pollution you see.

At any rate I won't be watching one second of it and the sooner it's all over the happier I'll be.

Since the OP asked for the best choice IMO it has to be Sir Steve Redgrave even if he is a little over-exposed Olympics wise. He is after all an outstanding olympian and with gold medals in 5 OGs has set a record that will be hard  to equal let alone beat.

After the stupidity of one member of this forum I tried to keep out of this discussion, so thanks Betty for a bit of common. But as I asked the original question I feel I should offer my suggestion; and to be quite honest I'm a bit stumped, however I think that Garden Girl has it right and I would back Claire Lomas for all the reasons stated by GG. As for poor old Ano, looks like a couple of weeks purgatory for you mate, as it will be very difficult to get away from it. [:D]

[quote user="NickP"]After the stupidity of one member of this forum I tried to keep out of this discussion, so thanks Betty for a bit of common. But as I asked the original question I feel I should offer my suggestion; and to be quite honest I'm a bit stumped, however I think that Garden Girl has it right and I would back Claire Lomas for all the reasons stated by GG. As for poor old Ano, looks like a couple of weeks purgatory for you mate, as it will be very difficult to get away from it. [:D][/quote]

I can remember the Olympic Games in London in 1948, my hero of the games was Emil Zatopek who won the 10,000 metres.

Frankly without using google I haven't the faintest idea who Claire Lomas is or what sport she participates in; so I must accept your opinion.

Not that the choice bothers me very much.

[quote user="NickP"]As for poor old Ano, looks like a couple of weeks purgatory for you mate, as it will be very difficult to get away from it. [:D][/quote]And don't I just know it [:'(]

Tried to convince 'er indoors that a fortnights scuba diving in the Maldives with my German pal would save my sanity but no go unfortunately. Since retiring I've been reclassified from a financial asset to a drain on resources [:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Val_2"]I would have thought the Queen should light it, she launches great ships and is head of Great Britain otherwise someone like Steve Redgrave who is a legend in Olympics and it would be an honour for the country to bestow on him for his achievements.[/quote]

Sir Steve has a few golds at the olympics (5)  (few more elsewhere) but that was as part of a team.

Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson on the other hand has 11 golds at olympic level on her own.

Only problem is they didn't design the ceremony around a paralympian

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="NickP"]After the stupidity of one member of this forum I tried to keep out of this discussion, so thanks Betty for a bit of common. But as I asked the original question I feel I should offer my suggestion; and to be quite honest I'm a bit stumped, however I think that Garden Girl has it right and I would back Claire Lomas for all the reasons stated by GG. As for poor old Ano, looks like a couple of weeks purgatory for you mate, as it will be very difficult to get away from it. [:D][/quote]

I can remember the Olympic Games in London in 1948, my hero of the games was Emil Zatopek who won the 10,000 metres.

Frankly without using google I haven't the faintest idea who Claire Lomas is or what sport she participates in; so I must accept your opinion.

[/quote]Claire Lomas is a severly handicapped person who manage to complete the London Marathon after 16 days raising substantial mney for research into spinal injuries.

Emil Zatopek went on to win 3 gold medals at the Helsinki OG in 1952 successfully defending his 10,000 metre title and also winning the 5,000 metres and the the marathon.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]Claire Lomas is a severly handicapped person who manage to complete the London Marathon after 16 days raising substantial mney for research into spinal injuries.

Emil Zatopek went on to win 3 gold medals at the Helsinki OG in 1952 successfully defending his 10,000 metre title and also winning the 5,000 metres and the marathon.

[quote user="Rabbie"]

Claire Lomas is a severly handicapped person who manage to complete the London Marathon after 16 days raising substantial mney for research into spinal injuries.[/quote]

Not forgetting that prior to entering the London Marathon, she had to raise something like £30k to pay for the robotic legs that allowed her to compete.

An exceptional woman.

What'd be quite interesting is to ask who we think it WILL be...

I'd probably add David Beckham to the list of likely candidates. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I just have a feeling.....

And, as it's a jubilee thingy, there's a whole host of Royals who might get called in. Princess Anne is a possible. William is another - or Harry.

Again, not saying it's a good thing.