Half of teachers forced to feed pupils going hungry at home

Quillan

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Russethouse"]

If you wanted to, she would teach you how to make lace at lunchtime [/quote]And was there anybody interested?  What a horrid idea.  If a button falls off a shirt I chuck it out.  Making lace... cripes.  These sorts of lesson were just legalised torture for me.  Second only to games.  Both seemed to attract teachers who had no understanding nor comprehension of anybody who was unco-orinated and cack-handed and who seemed to delight in showing up anybody who was not adept at practical subjects. 

[/quote]

But Coops, you are / were obviously a rebel !!!!!!!!!! ( no smilies available on Chrome but assume a big grin )

Were you the last to be chosen for the hockey team ( now that's a game to get you cold to the bone - and those sticks hurt on the shin!) and did your seams get ripped out in dressmaking? Well, it wasn't really dressmaking in my case as I never progressed beyond a truly hideous blouse which never was finished)

No disrespect Coops but I think your childhood might be going back too far to the days when DS teachers were not properly qualified. In my old school they were and the kids who wanted to do an A level had to have O level chemistry.

Heston Whatisname - just part of a trend.

Hoddy

Here's something close to my heart, and I found it really weird.

My younger offspring did cookery at school. It wasn't called Home Economics or Domestic Science, but "food technology", I think. Anyway, he was quite good at it and enjoyed it. In fact, for some considerable time he wanted to become a chef.

By the time he reached "A" level age, however, he'd decided he'd like to aim for a career in the food industry, but not necessarily as a chef. However, he was keen to continue with the cooking.

IMPOSSIBLE.Or nearly. Finding anywhere which offers "A" level Food tech is almost impossible. Continuing with the subject otherwise means doing an NVQ. Doing an NVQ alongside "A" levels is the real "Impossible" bit, because the two appear to be like oil and water as far as the powers that be are concerned.

Owing to some initial assistance (later rescinded) from one FE College, he was set to embark on "A" levels with an NVQ "on the side" when, at the 11th hour, they said "Oh, no, you can't do that". The combined efforts of mother-and-son pig-headedness eventually won through, and he was allowed to study for his "A" levels during the day, and do an afternoon/evening class with a bunch of already-employed chefs to get his NVQ. In the end, despite dire warnings from the college that it would be too much work, he got a full set of "A" levels AND an NVQ.

What bothered me all along the way in this tale was the constraints of a system which divides up the whole curriculum into "academic" and "vocational". Apparently, you can't be academic AND want to do anything remotely practical.

With the increased emphasis over the past 15 or more years on gaining academic qualifications, it's little wonder that fewer and fewer kids get the chance to learn more practical skills.....has no-one considered that the skills Hoddy mentioned, whether cooking, changing a plug or being able to do a bit of woodwork or sewing, are actually useful/necessary???

The boy child got his degree in Food Science last week, and is happily ensconced in his job in product development...where he gets to do cooking . He's also a decent cook outside work. It was. however, a bit of a struggle to get "the system" to allow him to achieve this.

I am very happy your boy got his NVQ and A level, just goes to show if your 'pushy' enough in life you can get what you want, well done him.

I did Domestic Science after school, boys were not allowed to do it during normal school time. To be able to darn your own socks is very handy in the services as is being able to put a button back on a shirt. I made a Christmas cake, trouble was I was also a West Ham supporter and did the icing in their colours, the cake was OK for me but my mum and dad thought the colours a bit garish. All these years later it has come in handy again because you can't get a decent Dundee Cake in France to I make one every month. Too much theory and little practical is not a good thing. I only did DS for a year before I changed school but a lot of what I learned has stood me well over the years.

Maybe kids should have 'life classes' and learn things like:-

How bank accounts work, budgeting, how mortgages work, how to write a cheque.How to sew a button,cook eggs,add up without a calculator.How to hold a decent conversation.

I suppose everyone is expected to have internet access to youtube.

My hubby works on building sites and always beats his colleagues with his brain against their calculators

I think our first DS lesson we made a pot of tea or coffee and served it on a tray with a tray cloth, I think we made 'jammy buns' early on too...then currant buns and then onward to things like quiche and casseroles

Apparently Martin Lewis (money saving expert) is very keen to see lessons teaching every day finance, in schools.. Learning how to understand credit agreements and interest rates woueld probably save a lot of heartaches

[quote user="Chancer"]

"Half of teachers forced to feed pupils going hungry at home"

Well if they are forced to give away their food to pupils then its not really surprising is it!

Perhaps we should start a petition to feed the hungry teachers.

[/quote]LOL ROFL[:D]