Faces on banknotes

woolybanana

There has been some polemic over the choice of leading ladies to appear on UK banknotes, culminating, I gather in the choice of that fine exponent of Mills and Boon, Jane Austin. What a stoopid choice.

Anyway, who would you like to see depicted - and, no, Norman, you can't have Miss September 1996 as she was in fact not English but Hungarian, even if she did make a lot of British gentlemen happy?

I used to love Old Nosey on the fivers. When I used to count a lot fivers, I'd get up to such a good speed that he would sort of rock as if he was finding a slightly more comfortable pose as he looked at me and I always used to want him to wink at me....... he never did. And I still feel a little disappointed.

Who would I have on now? Maybe Barbara Castle, or Mary Quant.

I'm not being flippant at all. I would hate Margaret Thatcher on notes, I reckon that it would cost the BofE a fortune as there would be lots of defaced notes which would go back for destruction and they'd be constantly be printing new ones.

I mentioned women, who I felt were 'important' in my little life when I was young.

It's not asifanyone spends that much time gazing at their banknotes or really paying attention to who is on them. The only bit I pay close attention to is the colour and the denomination.

Mind you, I'm gobsmacked to learn that Karl Marx was a woman. Who knew?

What about Aunty Wainwright (Last of the Summer Wine)?

Whilst the notes are issued by the Bank of England it is connected to the Government and the aforementioned lady liked to 'screw' people so there are similarities.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]It's not asifanyone spends that much time gazing at their banknotes or really paying attention to who is on them. The only bit I pay close attention to is the colour and the denomination.

Mind you, I'm gobsmacked to learn that Karl Marx was a woman. Who knew?[/quote]

I had no idea that banknotes have a gender in English....

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Norman, When Elizabeth Fry's picture is discontinued there will be no women represented on UK banknotes, therefore a campaign was started to have a woman on at least one banknote :

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/53808/jane-austen-10-pound-note-mervyn-king

Therefore suggestions should be of the female gender -

[/quote]

Not even the Queen?

I haven't seen an English note for several years so have probably missed something...

[quote user="woolybanana"]

There has been some polemic over the choice of leading ladies to appear on UK banknotes, culminating, I gather in the choice of that fine exponent of Mills and Boon, Jane Austin. What a stoopid choice.

Anyway, who would you like to see depicted - and, no, Norman, you can't have Miss September 1996 as she was in fact not English but Hungarian, even if she did make a lot of British gentlemen happy?

[/quote]

Rosalind Franklin.