Free English website for advertising French houses

mint

Hi everybody, don't know where to ask this and certainly in too much of a whirl to be talking in a sensible manner.

So, here's a bit of background info.

Our French neighbours from our other house came to visit and we spent a lovely day together.  We mentioned about thinking to sell our house next to theirs. Then, within a couple of weeks, they found a friend of theirs who wants to buy our house!  That's the good news, the bad news is that they want to pay diddly squat for it.

Now, the house isn't even on the market and we don't really know how much to ask for it.  We have a figure in mind that would enable us to "break even" from what we paid and what we spent on it.  Now don't rush in and say "expect to make a loss"...because we ARE making a loss, only in euro terms but not perhaps in sterling ones.  Besides, I have trawled the internet for other houses in our area and our house compares very well for the price; in fact, a bit on the low side but that's OK as I no longer want to trail back and forth across departmental frontiers to do the necessary "keeping an eye".

Anyway, what I want to now know is whether anyone know of any "English" sites that advertises houses for free.  I did find one and, after writing a full description, etc, I found that there was no response to emails or phone calls.  In other words, probably folded up in the face of a flat market.

I am not asking about French free sites because I already have those covered.  So, just English sites, please....

I promise to keep an update if anyone can give me some suggestions.  After all, I am relying on "rubberneckers" to make a contribution![:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]"English" sites that advertises houses for free. [/quote]

Its not exactly an English site that 'advertises houses for free', but I happened to mention (with suitably enchanting pictures) that my house would be coming up for sale on Fesse-Bouc last Friday, and am already gratified by the trickle of respondents  -  just had a couple in this evening for drinks.  My aim is to buy and sell within a month.

But I know that you don't approve of 'social networking' of this vulgar kind.  And neither do I, of course  -  mais Paris vaut bien une messe.

Gengulphus, how pleased I am to hear from you!

I am very conscious that I owe you an email.  I loved the pictures that you sent.

Alas, I have had nothing but email and computer problems, not to mention other matters that have distracted and vexed me[:'(]

However, I hope to email you "real soon" as the Americans would say or "prochainement" as the French would say.

"Social networking", well, what can I say other than that it's a bit infra dig?

Nevermind, needs must [;-)]

SW17 ............

Sorry, no English website info to offer.

But why aren't you pursuing the people who are interested?  I don't know how diddly their diddly squat figure is, but surely you've got some scope for a bit of serious negotiation?  No agent involved, they mention a silly low number, you mention a silly high number and so on.

At the end of it, you can always say "Forget it", but you never know, you just might get quite close to your preferred number. 

Thank you.

From the lack of suggesions, perhaps there is no such English site.  I have looked at other English sites and the costs are not great.  Even so, I think I may look at employing an "English" and also a "French" agent.  Why pay out money and still have to do the "work" yourself and, if it takes forever to sell, 35 euros for 3 months, say, can add up to hundreds![:(]

I am fielding a couple of phone calls a day and a couple of emails from the French advert I have placed.  It's only been a couple of days.  Going to talk to the interested person as per Gardian's suggestion this Sunday.

So...on verra!

I just want English as well as French exposure. 

Thankyou Sweet17 - we're all settled in the new house; the painting of the inside for which the builders quoted €4000 (surely they didn't want the job?) has just been finished by my husband at a cost of about €200 and two weeks work. The flowerbeds are looking good, lawns seeded, fences erected.........in fact today my husband mentioned an 'open house' at an old place for sale.........NO (not yet!)

[quote user="Pommier"]Thankyou Sweet17 - we're all settled in the new house; the painting of the inside for which the builders quoted €4000 (surely they didn't want the job?) has just been finished by my husband at a cost of about €200 and two weeks work. The flowerbeds are looking good, lawns seeded, fences erected.........in fact today my husband mentioned an 'open house' at an old place for sale.........NO (not yet!)[/quote]Was their price really so unreasonable?  After all two weeks labour plus French tax and  cotisations does not come cheap. Any way glad to hear you're nicely settled into your new house. I hope you really enjoy it

Sweet,

If you've got a possible buyer, I'd stick with them - we have had very little success selling thought the English sites and agents, and the French agents have been even worse! 3 years now!

Can you pm me the French sites you've found best please, as that is an area I've not yet covered ... As hubby wanted to aim for English audience...

Likewise I can tell you when I get back home what sites I used and some of them are free ... I'm in the middle of a flying visit to UK for a 35th anniversary reunion - none of us look any older - it's frightening - and we are all retired now, we all look so young, comparatively. Very enjoyable do conversation never stopped and that was with most of them not drinking as they were driving. Great memories!