Storm

NormanH

[quote user="NormanH"]Best wishes for any of you in the path of the threatened storm...though it will hopefully prove to be a timid affair.

[/quote]

Thanks for the Best Wishes Norman..... As I normally lose fence panels when these big storms hit here in Dorset. I have just been out and roped the posts to trees this time !  Fingers crossed.....  at the moment its calm .

[quote user="Frederick"]Thanks for the Best Wishes Norman..... As I normally lose fence panels when these big storms hit here in Dorset. I have just been out and roped the posts to trees this time !  Fingers crossed.....  at the moment its calm .

[/quote]

It's horrible here in southern Morbihan at the moment - we have strong gusting winds and driving rain. It is hard to believe all was calm and sunny here only yesterday afternoon. It blew a hooley overnight and seems set to do the same tonight.

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Frederick"]Thanks for the Best Wishes Norman..... As I normally lose fence panels when these big storms hit here in Dorset. I have just been out and roped the posts to trees this time !  Fingers crossed.....  at the moment its calm .
[/quote]
It's horrible here in southern Morbihan at the moment - we have strong gusting winds and driving rain. It is hard to believe all was calm and sunny here only yesterday afternoon. It blew a hooley overnight and seems set to do the same tonight.

Sue
[/quote]

Same here in Normandy at the moment - all garden furniture safely stowed in the garage and everything else weighted down with oak and stone - fingers crossed as usual though.

Having been through the '87 storm in London and the '99 storm in Normandy we are consciously in awe of the power of wind!

Last night was very annoying - the wind rattling the shutters kept waking me up, as did the lack of wind and total silence which seemed to intersperse the gusts.

Storm came and went here in Berkshire (am I allowed to mention that it's happening this side of the channel as well?) about half an hour ago, leaving in its wake a swathe of cancelled trains, tweeted photos and sodden journalists. It's evidently caused disruption at Heathrow as the skies are very quiet. Apparently there were 70 mph gusts there not long ago.

[quote user="Rabbie"]Here in Wiltshire we seem to have got off lightly. Winds no stronger than we get each year.

Ŷ[/quote]

None event in our bit of Dorset as well.  Oak trees don't even seem to have lost a lot of leaves so could not have been that windy during the night

We enjoyed huge waves smashing on to breakwaters in Sussex yesterday, and drove back to Berkshire ready to secure garden furniture etc. It was a quiet night, but from about 05.30 the wind arrived, with huge gusts sweeping trees almost double. We have some very old enormous trees around us, mainly ash and sycamore, none of which appear to have suffered too much, although branches are down. I'm glad we had apple trees cut back on Saturday, which removed a large weight of leaves and apples, but still found the lawn totally carpeted with apples this morning - collecting apples, preparing them, freezing slices, making apples pies etc will now fill my day.

Thames and Chiltern railways announced earlier that they would be back to normal by about 08.00, but are still having big problems. Many thousands of families have lost their electricity due to trees falling on power lines, but a large number of workers arrived in the south over the weekend ready to get things fixed. It's the first day of half-term for schools around here, but I guess some would have closed if it hadn't been. 1987 it wasn't, but it has been very bad in places.

[quote user="powerdesal"]08.19 Monday - Normandy.

Last night was a real hooley.

Very strong winds, sounded like an express train coming straight at you. [/quote]

Ditto here in Morbihan, very strong winds. There is quite a bit of hammering going on around us as people replace wood-store rooves etc. The 'white horses' on the sea are a sight to behold - if you can manage to stay upright on the beach !

Sue

'' but still found the lawn totally carpeted with apples this morning - collecting apples, preparing them, freezing slices, making apples pies etc will now fill my day ''

12 lbs of windfalls collected this morning, now converted to 2 gallons of apple wine, festering in the buckets, to go with the previous 4 gallons already made.

Our daughter who lives in Berkshire just rang to say that the wind of early morning had brought down a tree in her front garden. It was a willow tree, and from the photo she sent, had very shallow roots. Luckily all cars were out of the way, so no damage done.

But it's a shame about the tree, which gave shade to the house.