Ebay Users Please take note!

Pickles

According to the Torygraph, the personal details of ALL ebay accounts have been hacked, and users are advised to change their passwords. Given the numbers quoted, I think that this will mean that anyone who has used ebay ought to take note, and ensure that they don't user the same email/userid/password combination elsewhere.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Thank you, Pickles. The information is all over the media, presumably put there at the behest of ebay.[/quote]

However, they have "suddenly" decided that it is a problem., although apparently it happened ... in February!

[quote user="CSV"]After you login there is an 'announcement' hidden away at the bottom LHS of the page[:)][/quote]Just logged in and nothing like that on my screen but I do note that sometime since yesterday evening a high priority message has appeared in my inbox but I had to proactively go into 'My eBay' and Messages to find it !

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="CSV"]After you login there is an 'announcement' hidden away at the bottom LHS of the page[:)][/quote]Just logged in and nothing like that on my screen but I do note that sometime since yesterday evening a high priority message has appeared in my inbox but I had to proactively go into 'My eBay' and Messages to find it !

[/quote]

Indeed, 'pathetic' does not begin to cover their response [blink]

Yes but once again it is a case of a newspaper getting half a story.

Yes it's bad that the data was taken from ebay, can't deny that, but the password will be encrypted with, at minimum, a 128 bit key so unless the hackers have access to a supercomputer and have a very long time to wait they're not going to get into your account

It would appear that information such as name and address has been collected .  Also it was an " inside job " where Ebay staff were involved no doubt our information has been sold on  so we will  be bombarded with post and email from commercial concerns .

[quote user="CSV"][quote user="AnOther"][quote user="CSV"]After you login there is an 'announcement' hidden away at the bottom LHS of the page[:)][/quote]Just logged in and nothing like that on my screen but I do note that sometime since yesterday evening a high priority message has appeared in my inbox but I had to proactively go into 'My eBay' and Messages to find it !

[/quote]

Indeed, 'pathetic' does not begin to cover their response [blink]

[/quote]

Shareholders first, customers second

[quote user="Frederick"]It would appear that information such as name and address has been collected .  Also it was an " inside job " where Ebay staff were involved no doubt our information has been sold on  so we will  be bombarded with post and email from commercial concerns .

[/quote]

According to Reuter's

"...hackers compromised the log-in credentials of a small number of eBay employees, allowing them access to its network."

So it wasn't an inside job, and I doubt the information has been sold on.

Seek and ye shall find

A small link on the left hand side of the mon compte pages leads to a very low key and non-descript message that suggest that changing your password might be a good idea - and to think we have criticised SNCF/RFF/Alstom for lack of coordination / communication.

And finally today, I have received an email suggesting that I change my password.

Now what have we always said about emails from Ebay? 

They will always address you by user name.  Anything else and you should treat it as a scam and potential phishing attempt.

So how is my mail addressed?

Cher membre eBay

Admittedly at the bottom of the page is a footnote saying that the mail has been sent to "name, (user name)". 

But then of course since this data has been hacked...........................................

You really could not make up their incompetence.

My notification also arrived today - at last, and quite a few days since I changed my password. It was addressed 'Dear ebay member'' too and, as you say, had the footnote. I'm really amazed that it's taken so long, whether it was from ebay or hackers!

Me too although I did change tje password and it seems to have been accepted and working on the new one.

E-bay France sending out a message like that would not surprise me but this was EBay UK.

I have had far more convincing and better written scam  e-mails than that one [:D]