Extra terrestrials

idun

If any government said that they had been contacted by ET's would you be shocked?

Saw a 'documentary'  the other day which said that no government would dare as it would people into a panic as with 'The War of the Worlds' broadcast donkey's years ago.

I have liked watching scifi most of my life, from  Dr Who, the original Star Trek and lots of the space sci fi things, but that is fiction.... can't help wondering IF the real thing would shock me, frighten me, would it you?

Sorry, to be serious, it would. now with the number of suns with a planet system then I think that their is life in other places of the Universe.

How about in our planetary system? There are life forms in the very hot geysers on the bed of the oceans so perhaps Mars could have life forms and just because the other planets are either very hot or very cold there is life at the poles.

I have been working with SETI for many years, (in the top 93 percentile world wide who work for them). So far nothing, but I believe they are out there. Realise the limitations of the scheme, but until we develop a FTL drive or a form of Spooky Science we can manipulate, its the best we have.

I've often wondered if there's seen ET contact since technology seems to have advanced in leaps and bounds since the war and subsequent UFO sightings .... while Roswell has been poo-pooed the mystery has gone on too long so perhaps there's something in it. I believe there are definitely other life forms out there ... in what form, who knows?

I doubt we'd ever be told, though, unless there was a real risk to civilisation. When you see the news about unwelcome immigrants arriving in countries, could you imagine the fuss if we had extra-terrestrial visitors??

Thats a very deep one that but the answer is no. The great assumption is that we are intelligent and advanced, take a look around you and it very clear we are not.  Perhaps somebody has already visited and considered us nothing more than pond life and not worth the effort

I admit my husband rather likes watching these alien encounter programs, I see bits of them in passing, but I don't sit and watch them. So he'll watch them and I will quite happily watch an old Stargate or Star Trek episode if the fancy takes me.

I would sort of hope that any life form so advanced as to get here, would be 'decent'.

SETI......... as a child, who definitely always thought that the bits of religion I was 'gave'd' was nonsense, had my own idea of the universe and that it was in like a gold fish bowl, and that it had edges, a fixed limit no matter how big it was...... and now I am older, I sometimes wonder if say SETI will suddenly get a hit and it'll be an old episode of Hancock's Half Hour, or the Navy Lark, as the sound has got the limit and bounced back.  I think I would rather like that to be honest.

That was interesting, this bit summed it up in language I can understand:

Depending on where The Great Filter occurs, we’re left with three possible realities: We’re rare, we’re first, or we’re fucked.

I have subscribed to the site as they have some interesting articles, I enjoyed this one which has given me an insight into the psyche of my younger friends as I was beginning to feel a bit of a generation gap creeping in.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy.html

I have thoroughly enjoyed both those articles and am sat here with what I imagine to be a very daft grin on my face..... I have no illusions about 'me' and am usually, relatively content and happy and sometimes very happy.

And now I am going to write a very angry letter to my local council about something. I am not angry, but I think it best that they should think I am, because useless ineffective staff, paid for by 'us' should not get away with not doing their jobs properly.[Www]

Most men (includes women used in the generic sense re Homo Sapiens), usually think, even philosophers in both temporal and corporal directions.

Thus we relate everything to what we know: what we suspect: and what we perhaps hope.

When considering the universe which we inhabit in a temporal state, then we invariably think along pre-defined lines which are comparative to ourselves.

For example, if other life forms inhabit other plants and even, heaven forbid, stars, then they cannot live in (e.g.) Uranus enjoys (?! [8-)] ) temperatures as low as 47 Kelvin and its atmosphere is a mixture of Hydrogen and Helium. Our comparative conclusion is, therefore, "No life form can live there!"

However if we expand our minds and accept the well proven and accepted disciplines of Quantum Mechanics, then we actually exist in what is called a Multiverse, or Multiple Universes, simultaneously!

(n.b. This scientific theorum has been proven and accepted since the early 1920s, since it was first propounded by such as  Max Planck, Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, Louis de Broglie, Arthur Compton, Albert Einstein, Erwin Schrödinger, Max Born, John von Neumann, Paul Dirac, Enrico Fermi, Wolfgang Pauli, Max von Laue, Freeman Dyson, David Hilbert, Wilhelm Wien, Satyendra Nath Bose, Arnold Sommerfeld, and others.)

Now since we live our temporal lives in simultaneous parallel universes, it must be concluded in all realms of scientific probability and chance, "Aliens" are already amongst us: and have been for perhaps millions of years!

Unfortunately, alien life forms in movies, particularly and the early SciFi books of the 1940s and 1950s and 1960s (of which I was an avid and constant reader!) were either humanoid; or what the genre described as BEMs (Bug Eyed Monsters).

And this trend has continued in films such as Alien and ET.

Until and unless man can travel such phenomenal distances in short time spans and discover how to travel from our universe to others, then we cannot ever know.

A good read is the late great Michael Crichton's novel, "Timeline". Will make you think.......

The best way of looking at this for me is Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, because anything is possible and it probably is.

Still if going by Dave's link, if we are the latter, and some super intelligent life form appears, I hope that they wouldn't look upon us as ......... DINNER![:-))]