Room 101

Gardian

OK, its 3 yrs since this was discussed (I'm a sad old burgher, who kicked it off then), but perhaps worth a replay:

Three 'thingies' allowed - for me:

Fancy Elastoplasts

To me, the general idea of a plaster is to be able to quickly apply something to a cut or graze. They are now so hermitically sealed that you could bleed to death before getting the damm thing open. Bring back the old inividual non-packaged plaster!

Risotto

There's not much that I don't like food-wise, but Risotto is something that I simply don't get. So much effort to do a proper one and then .............. a mouthful of creamy rice. Not for me.

The Awards Season

I felt this (honestly) even before last night's fiasco. Just a cringeing exercise in publicising a film or a performer. The very fact that the Oscars made the lead story on today's News just about everywhere in the World, says it all.

My three:-

1 Folks who hog the middle lane on UK motorways -effectively making the motorway a dual carriageway - in light traffic, and no vehicles inside them. Maybe they think that the vehicle a quarter of a mile ahead that they are gaining on at 1mph counts as an overtaking manoeuvre.

2 That pregnant pause that comes on a TV show just after the words...." and the person leaving us this week is...." or something similar. Is it just me, or is that just annoying.

3 Again on a TV theme ( I do have life, honest). Those half hour programs that spend the first 2-4 minutes telling you what's "coming up" and the last couple of minutes telling you what's "next time". Yes, you know who you are Fogle, Portillo, get bloody on with it. Otherwise entertaining programs, wasting around 15% (ok, ok, I have thought about it more than I should http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance-forums/cs/images/emotions/biggrin.gif ) of their air time - and my license fee on unnecessary info.

Don't get me started!!

The "music" you get on the phone after you have done all your taper un, deux trois, diese, etc etc.

The most annoying I have encountered recently is that of la Banque Postale..............admittedly, I was already annoyed BEFORE I picked up the phone!

gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........not enough space to get enough of those grgh's in[:'(]

It's a TV programme in which celebs are invited to consign all their most disliked things, persons, etc.

I believe that the origin of the name is an actual room on BBC premises where rejects of programmes and other detritus are stored.

On the programme, there is a sort of lever that you could lift to upend all your least liked things and the audience might set up a bit of a cheer if they agree with your choice.

[quote user="mint"]It's a TV programme in which celebs are invited to consign all their most disliked things, persons, etc.

I believe that the origin of the name is an actual room on BBC premises where rejects of programmes and other detritus are stored.

On the programme, there is a sort of lever that you could lift to upend all your least liked things and the audience might set up a bit of a cheer if they agree with your choice.

[/quote]

Doing some research I find (as I should have known) that it is a room in 1984 in the Ministry of Fear.

For me:

1 middle lane hoggers again

2 Facebook

3 Supercilious forum posters who can't understand why some people would prefer certain UK foods. Why? What's wrong with that? You still speak English, so why not have one or two English foods that you don't have to pay the Earth for, if that's what you want? What happened to live and let live? Ah yes, Brexit!

Sid wrote:3 Supercilious forum posters who can't understand why some people would

prefer certain UK foods. Why? What's wrong with that? You still speak

English, so why not have one or two English foods that you don't have to

pay the Earth for, if that's what you want? What happened to live and

let live? Ah yes, Brexit!

Well there is nothing wrong with anyone wanting english foods, french people I know love 'english' tea and a few other little english gourmandise. And I will have quite a drive to buy  foods I fancy at an excellent food emporium that sells the best foods from all over, including lots and lots  of lovely top quality french things, and their UK foods are superlative too. All is dearer, but what the heck, a treat is a treat.

Sid, What I don't get is the bit about paying an earth for????  Unless something is sold is great quantity, then if it is a speciality in another country, then I expect it to be dearer. When we go out into the wilds of say Scotland or England, the prices in little shops feel 'ouch' but I understand why.

MY 101 is people saying DRAW RING instead of drawING, there is not bloody R in it.

Tailgating.

People not indicating.

-------------------------------------------

I have lots of things that I instinctively steer away from and always have. ie when I moved to France and my only knew as many words as I have fingers, the suggestion that I joined an english group left me cold, couldn't do it, wouldn't do it. But this is not a 101 for me.