Road Rage

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the decheterie today. I was toddling along in my ancient ex GDF Renault 5 (it may be old, scratched and faintly malodorous, but it has passed its CT and is very cheap to run, plus has tremendous cachet amongst a certain class of motorist that you just don’t get with a BMW) with a trailer load of rubble (have barn, will build gite) when I became aware of another car approaching at great speed from behind.

Doing as I was only 80 in a 90 zone, I wasn’t entirely surprised to be tailgated by the driver as they weaved in and out looking for a six inch gap in the oncoming traffic. None being forthcoming I was flashed a few times to try and encourage me to either pull over, speed up or disappear into thin air. I always wave cheerfully at this point and slow down just a little to show that I know they are there and appreciate that they are making an effort to injure me. Anyway, a gap duly appeared and the car behind pulled out over the solid white line and disappeared at a considerable rate of knots into the sunset.

In itself not unusual at all in France, but one tiny aspect was notable – it was a car full of nuns. And this is the second time this has happened in the past couple of weeks. I’ve no idea what order they were, but I think that they were very short; either that or they had removed the seats in order to kneel in supplication whilst on the move. Anyone else been on the receiving end of reckless driving by celibates in religious orders lately? Or is it just me that they are toying with? The nuns of my youth, far from being the blood-lust firebrands popular in autobiography today, were generally fluffy, Miss Marple types, whose only discernable vice were the odd fag behind the bikeshed. This occurance has left me with the unnerving feeling of just having been mugged by a gang of penguins.

LOL. No, not nuns, but I have been tailgated by a combine!!! Really scarey!

I had all these really gory visions flashing before me, when it swerved down a farm track and disappeared.

Bit like that film......er.....er.......damn! Senile moment!

helen

[quote]LOL. No, not nuns, but I have been tailgated by a combine!!! Really scarey! I had all these really gory visions flashing before me, when it swerved down a farm track and disappeared. Bit like that...[/quote]

I don't think I've seen "Damn! Senile Moment". Who is in it????

My father tells an entertaining (and true) story of a simmillar vein..
He was travelling with his freind many moons ago (mid sixties) in France for the first time, driving a Porche rag-top of a simillar vintage (not sure of the exact model!) at a not un-reasonable speed, which was, knowing my father, over the speed limit, when they were over-taken by a group of four nuns in a Citroen 2CV..

God is merciful to nuns apparently, he not only saves them from nasty car accidents, but he soups their blooming cars up to boot!

[quote]Jond, did they sing "so long, farewell" as they passed?[/quote]

Oddly, no. Doesn't that routine involve some knee-bending though? Its been a long time since I saw the film. I'll be paying closer attention to the nuns that hang around the kids school from now on though. Do you think that Bernie Ecclestone could be interested in marketing Formula Nun?

Actually, it serves me right. I should have guessed what was coming next by the fact that she couldn't open the boot and had difficulty putting the key in the ignition. Only two speeds as well, start or stop. Trouble was, they didn't coincide with the traffic lights....

Not quite nuns - but it's about the nuns boss.....

After getting all of the Pope's luggage loaded into

the limo (and he doesn't travel light), the driver

notices that the Pope is still standing on the curb.

"Excuse me, Your Eminence," says the driver, "Would

you please take your seat so we can leave?"

"Well, to tell you the truth," says the Pope, "they

never let me drive at the Vatican, and I'd really like

to drive today."

"I'm sorry but I cannot let you do that. I'd lose my

job! And what if something should happen?" protests

the driver, wishing he'd never gone to work that

morning.

"There might be something extra in it for you," says

the Pope. Reluctantly, the driver gets in the back as

the Pope climbs in behind the wheel.

The driver quickly regrets his decision when, after

exiting the airport, the Supreme Pontiff floors it,

accelerating the limo to 105 mph.

"Please slow down, Your Holiness!!!" pleads the

worried driver, but the Pope keeps the pedal to the

metal until they hear sirens.

"Oh, dear God, I'm gonna lose my license," moans the

driver.

The Pope pulls over and rolls down the window as the

cop approaches, but the cop takes one look at him,

goes back to his motorcycle, and gets on the radio.

"I need to talk to the Chief," he says to the

dispatcher.

The Chief gets on the radio and the cop tells him that

he's stopped a limo going a hundred and five.

"So bust him," said the Chief.

"I don't think we want to do that, he's really

important," said the cop.

The Chief exclaimed, "All the more reason!"

"No, I mean really important," said the cop.

The Chief then asked, "Who ya got there, the Mayor?"

Cop: "Bigger."

Chief: "Governor?"

Cop: "Bigger."

"Well," said the Chief, "Who is it?"

Cop: "I think it's God!"

Chief: "What makes you think it's God?"

Cop: "He's got the Pope for a limo driver!"

[quote]Not quite nuns - but it's about the nuns boss.....After getting all of the Pope's luggage loaded intothe limo (and he doesn't travel light), the drivernotices that the Pope is still standing on the cu...[/quote]

Now this is what the internet is really for. Top quality joke - I thank you for this - and I shall be rendering it into French in due course. I can only hope that it goes down better than the gorilla joke, which only our mayor found amusing. But then, he laughs at anything provided it might get him re-elected (mayor for fifteen years but only on the council by virtue of a single vote).

Later - with regard to the entirely legitimate flaw you pointed out (waddling start rather than running), I think that we could get round this by tying a short length of rope betwixt the ankles of each nun. No reply from Bernie as yet. I remain hopeful.

They have to get there first; they are, of course, invincible; they are all Petit Alain Prost's; for all their laid-back lifestyle, once on the road they are lethal - and that, in a nutshell, is why they all drive like mucking faniacs - la vitesse est normale - c'est La France

To Sir James of Forum Admin of that Ilk,

Your esteemed organ is going to the dogs.  Mucky fannies and bondage nuns indeed, those of us of a sensitive disposition are getting quite trembly.

While I reflect on the wisdom of withdrawing my generous contribution to Party funds, I'll just pop over and see if TeamedUp has decided to verser les haricots on the butter-spreading issue.