Fashion

The things you can find in the papers! Whilst lighting the fire this morning with an English newspaper one of our guests left behind, I came across the fascinating titbit that Burberry have felt it necessary to withdraw their trademark checked baseball cap as it became part of the uniform of ner’do’wells and “underachieving consumers.” Prada apparently also have concerns that their overpriced tat (IMHO) may also be sullied by association – it seems that some nasty little snooty-nose who lived in a council house and TWOCed cars was arrested while wearing a pair of £180 Prada trainers.

Now, today I shall be slaughtering, plucking, drawing and dressing ducks, a mucky business with the best will in the world. Does anyone think that any of the following “labels” would pay good money to avoid photographs of me wearing their products (remnents of a fromer existence) while I have my arm inserted in a duck being published in the mass media?

Nichole Farhi

Rolex

Burberry

Ralph Lauren

Catherine Hamnett

Paul Smith

All meant in jest, naturally.....

Funny you should mention this.. I've been after an off-white mac for quite some time, and the only example I liked was made by Burberry..

The thing that stopped me parting with my bundle of fivers was the association of the label with the base-ball cap wearing masses. They have become known as "Chavs" these days though btw..

On another note, I am asked on occasion (usually by french spotty teenagers) where I aquire my shirts (as I virtually always wear a traditional "English" shirt, with windsor collar & double cuffs).. I'm having a minor moral dilema as to whether to tell these people or not.. Do I keep the name of my shirt-maker a closely guarded secret, or do I tell them and become unable to wear the shirts I so love, becouse every spotty french teenager suddenly aquires a half-dozen.. No more stock speacials for me I fear..

Time

Give them the address of Lands' End, they have a French web presence and do those types of shirts... unless you also get them from there... (I am guessing not...)

On a different note, the cot has been prepared for the baby and I am awaiting the joyful bundle...

Well going on the remise that no one votes for Labour yet they seem to stay ahead most weeks in the polls then I would say it has to be Marks & Sparks, as no one these days admits to shopping there either, yet they sell plenty still 

Slightly off topic but may useful (?) anyone wanting M&S stuff reduced, just go to their site and type 'sale' or 'clearance' in the search box.( Miki, perhaps you had better not tell Tina )

For more info have a look at the thread on Money Saving Expert

http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Urgents;action=display;num=1099153573;start=0

I haven't tried with other sites but suspect its worth trying.

Don't think they ship to France but hopefully you may have a friend or relative that will forward your purchases.

Happy Shopping !

I also wear double cuff shirts. Though not very often with suits.Thomas Pink was always a good stand by, but a 30 minute stroll down St James always finds me loaded up with bag's. Now i'm sure some bright spark will know why thay are called French Cuff. There only place i've found them in France is Paris and Nice and then only in very English types shops.

Back to the main topic. A lot of the bigger brands suffer from over exposure in certain high yield products. Lots fod rip off pruducts from the far east finding there way on to market stalls in Essex and the design houses themselves licencing all sorts of good with there brand on them. Just think of Cardin. From coulture to cheap and nasty pens and wallets in 10 years. I have been known to pop down Bond St now and again BUT never buy clothes with the brand names printed on the front, oh and i've DIY'ed in the best label's. Once they get tatty thats all they are good for.

Yes you do get what you pay for. I have an Amarni coat that is now 10 years old and still looks as good as the day i purchassed it.

I am known for my excellent taste in fashion and I confess that the only designer label I will wear is Milletts and damn fine quilted shirts they are as well don't you know.

If you see me in the Bricos you will know me.......trust me.

Weedon(53)

I come from the couldn,t give a stuff style of haute couture and it has saved me a fortune.

[quote]I am known for my excellent taste in fashion and I confess that the only designer label I will wear is Milletts and damn fine quilted shirts they are as well don't you know. If you see me in the Bric...[/quote]

As a rule, I try not to buy clothing with the manufacturers advert on it. If they want me to help promote their company, then they can pay me (or at least give me the clothing). I did once get caught out with this stance..... I pontificated in length about the stupidity of buying clothing just because it had a "name" on it, to a young lad, then next day wore a shirt which happened to have a logo on the front.... in my defense I had bought it for about 8¬ (that should have been a euro sign but I can't seem to get it to work) in Carrefour - but he still wasn't impressed! 

"I worked for a chap who had his favorite shirt copied in Singapore, very reasonable, perfect fit"

Gay, I'm married to a chap who has been known to do the same, and I recently got some made for him in Cairo in fabulous Egyptian cotton, cost next to nothing.  Can also highly recommend Indian made Zodiac label shirts.  BUT all these are still not quite the same as the various Jermyn Street originals.  I wear these too both his cast offs and my own ladies' versions (preferably Pinks), have some going back 20 years now that look even better for all that washing and ironing. 

Traditional English attire is very popular in certain circles in Paris and there are several little shops in and around Place de la Madeleine to cater for their needs.  We used to live immediately opposite Burberry and someone told me there's even a Barbour outlet now.  What with this and the Aga Shop it's becoming quite a civilised place to live at long last... 

M

No-one gives a stuff about designer labels at Creuse Nature - so most of their "clothes" fit nicely, some are baggy and need an iron to remove the wrinkles, while others are far to big to be worn in public.

On a personal note - Abercrombie, Harry Fenton, Ben Sherman, hand-made shoes and a college-boy - says it all, dunnit?

Creusois is a man after my own heart though, I quite often wear what I call "The Ivy Look" - Although I lean towards Arrow or Brooks Brothers shirts when wearing that look.. Bass Weejuns, harrington coats, flat-fronted trousers & smedley knitwear for the typical college boy look! John Simmons digs me!!

As no-one has guessed where my shirts come from, I'm obviously going to have to tell you.. Belinda was actually right with her guess of Jerymn Street - too bad she thought I shopped elsewhere!

I've never used Thomas Pink I'm afraid to say - someone else mention T.M. Lewin - closer still - I have one shirt from them, which was in the sale and is currently worn when I polish my shoes!

If you go out of TM Lewins however, turn left and walk away from the mall, towards Saville Row, after no more than 30 meters, you come to a white-fronted Gentlemans outfitters that bears the name Harvey & Hudson.. I'm afraid to say that that is where I aquire my shirts, and I shall not be dishing out prizes today! :p

I quite often wear what I call "The Ivy Look" - Although I lean towards Arrow or Brooks Brothers shirts when wearing that look.. Bass Weejuns, harrington coats, flat-fronted trousers & smedley knitwear for the typical college boy look! John Simmons digs me!!

Blige me, talk about trapped in a time warp ! I was out of that by 1980, nearly twenty five years later, I find people are wearing it still   Nothing too college boy about it in those days in the UK, most people I knew had left school at 15 !! 

Brewer Street W1 and the Ivy in Richmond (similar outlet later in Guildford) were the only places us poor souls had, to fit us out. Brogues, flat caps, tongue & tassels (B.W's) paisleys's, Ben Shermans and Harringtons, crew necks and staprests. Got an old friend from school who is well on the way to finishing a script showing the femine side of things a la quadrophenia years. 

Time, time to press the fast forward button, je pense ! It's Bots et St James that are the way to go  

Carol > you are absolutly right, that'll teach me to check to collar first!

Miki > Both the Ivy shop in Richmond and the shop in Brewer Street were run by the same bloke I think - the infamous John Simmons.. The shop in Brewer street still exists to my knowledge.