Falling out with in-laws at Windsor

Weedon

Either there was a bust up with Chaz's folks or Philip double-booked weddings at the Castle without telling anybody, either way the wedding has been moved to Windsor Guildhall Registry Office.  Now there are various problems.  Inside information says that new caterers have to be found at short notice and the best they can come up with is the local Mr Chippy who is on standby to produce 150 fish suppers with some  deep-fried mars bars thrown in for vegetarians.

The Page under the Stairs has been along to suss out the Registry Office and reports back that the carpets smell and the paintwork is shabby.  What he failed to realise is that this is normality as usually everywhere they go has new carpets and is accompanied by the smell of new paint.

A towbar is being fitted to one of the Royal Limousines and they have been sponsored with a 2 berth caravan by Jack Barclay of Park Lane in which to tour for a week around their properties namely Wales and Cornwall.

I get the feeling that all is not well either at the official souvenir makers as they cannot make up their minds between mugs and whoopee cushions.  Time is running short.

weedon

LOL!! As someone actually lives in Windsor, and is already sick ofgetting carved up on my way to the shops by GMTV outside broadcast units,  your e-mail improved my humour no end! Truth is, it seems, that in order to get married in the castle, the happy couple would have had to obtain a licence for the premises, which would have had ongoing validity, risking the chance that members of the hoy-polloy could have had their weddings in the castle, too!! So now it's the Guildhall. Further traffic chaos, here we come!

Jane

I used to live in Windsor a long time ago and then the registry office was in a regency house at the end of Park Street, very close to the gate to the Long Walk. I presume it has moved because the (presumably) happy couple would have been able to go there without causing any traffic disruption.

The distortions by the press suggesting that a town hall must be a downmarket venue for a wedding are wide of the mark. Windsor Guildhall was built by Sir Christopher Wren and is a very attractive building.

My own view is that monarchy is not an appropriate constitutional model for the 21st century and that it is time Britain grew up. But having seen some of the sillier comments about this marriage (including some on this forum) perhaps we are still waiting for much of the population to emerge from its prolonged adolescence.

Incidentally, many people seem ignorant of the difference between executive presidencies (such as those of France and the USA) and non-executive, ceremonial presidencies like that of Germany. Being president for a short period would reward people who bring great honour to a country. Although he is now dead, I would have liked to have seen Yehudi Menuhin as President of Great Britain.

What a pallaver. Why don't they just get one of those all inclusive Caribean wedding deals and do it there or go to Scotland and get it done at Gretna Green,I'm sure no one really cares one way or another as it is not going to be a worldwide pomp and ceremony do like all the other weddings have been.

[quote]What a pallaver. Why don't they just get one of those all inclusive Caribean wedding deals and do it there or go to Scotland and get it done at Gretna Green,I'm sure no one really cares one way or ano...[/quote]

You are not far off the mark actually.  I understand that a Las Vegas Elvis Chapel mockup was considered before the Guildhall but Philip's Elvis impersonation of "Teddy Bear" or "All Shook Up" didn't quite come up to scratch.

On a musical note, what is not generally known is that Fergy, Princess Anne and Princess Michael (aka) Pushy once sent in a demo tape to Stars In Their Eyes singing "Sisters" and were going to say "And tonight we are going to be.... The Beverley Sisters"

weedon

Apparently the Queen has been quite magnaminous about the whole thing but has objected to the tour around Wales and Cornwall. Instead she has offered them a honeymoon weekend in Paris, staying at the Ritz with a chauffeur thrown in for good measure

Comes to a point when film and pop stars can afford to hold their weddings in posher places than members of the Royal Family!   Registry Office!!!! - boo! hiss! cheap-skates!   Anyone with any marketing sense would have seen that just by holding it inside the Fort Runnymede would have given the optimum return for the investment in just a few years - after alll the licence isn't forever - so come on Madge, get a licence, charge the gullible public (and all those stars alike) a small fortune to use the facilities and - hey! presto, you've made yourself (and the family) a great deal of money and redeemed your popularity - all in one fell swoop!   Go on, go on, you know it makes sense!!

Apparently members of the royal family are specifically not allowed to marry in a register office anyway so they have a real problem in doing it at all. The only way out is a slight change of the law to remove this impediment, I wonder who will sponsor this?

Saw on TV last night that the government says it's ok for them to marry in a register office as the act concerned was not meant to stop this although the words state that nothing in the act apply to members of the royal family! How they get to that I do not know.

Must be another case of "I believe this to be true and if you don't, tough".

<<Must be another case of "I believe this to be true and if you don't, tough".>>

Nah, it's just that in many instances in the UK now, there's one rule for "them", (including royalty, judges, top cops, councillors etc etc) and another rule for the rest of us.

I think it's called "know your place" or something.

Just another thing that "doesn't exist" in "Tone's" Britain, like the North-South divide, and the class system

Alcazar