Rose coloured specs.

Alfa

Got back from doing some work on the 'pile of stones' a few weeks ago - took our daughter, her other (policeman) half, son and not yet born second grandchild for a week 'away' to (what will be) our retirement home in Morbihan:

Left the keys in the Alfa for the duration - amazingly no-one nicked it (OK - so not everyone likes Alfas). Daughter's (policeman) other half quite bemused and distressed at lack of crime to solve.

No stress. No crowds. Great food, Affordable wine, Modest cost.    ALL WEEK !

We spent a day (a saturday) on the shore of the lac at Guerledan which feeds the river Blavet (which, downstream, almost passes our front door and contains trout, salmon and course fish which I can avail myself of for a whole year for the price of a day ticket on the Itchen or Test in Hampshire.).

We ate a superb lunch in a lakeside restaurant owned by a Dutchman - and spent the afternoon swimming/paddling/falling about in the lake- the beach was spotless, purpose built and very safe - the water was gin clear and effluent free - there were 14 other people there !

No McDonald's flotsum, no loud music, no posers ! (no Audi TT's - there is a God !!!)

Amazingly .....all this was free (apart from the lunch)

Rose coloured spectacles ?  youbetcha !

Got back to Portsmouth - Mucho traffico ! Mucho Machismo people trying to kill me with their huge and ludicrous 4-wheel drives / people pods .(And that was just the women - their shaven headed , baby faced husbands were too busy taking banal pictures on their camera phones) !

Mucho McDonald's flotsum ! Mucho Staffordshire Bull Terriers and mucho ancient 'trevored' BMW 318's.(Your average 'druggies' car of choice, by all accounts - big badge but gutless engine).

Southern Britttany or SE England ?  erm..........it's a difficult decision !!!

Just my rose tinted spectacled opinion of course.

To anyone thinking of making the move ....do it and do it now !

Alfa.

"....Southern Britttany or SE England ? erm..........it's a difficult decision !!!"

Not for thousands upon thousands of French it's not, they are going to the UK in droves, so you really could say it's not a difficult decision, the French are certainly "made up" with England!

You're not wearing rose coloured specs - the differences are REAL. Some of them anyway. People who haven't lived in the SE of England for a while don't understand the feelings of claustrophobia you have living and working there. By the way, what a gorgeous car. What kind of Alfa is it? I had a white Alfa Spider for a couple of years back in the 80s - it was great fun to drive but expensive for parts. Pat.

Hi Patf,

my avatar is a photo of the Alfa Brera - it was built as a concept car, there is only one and regrettably it's not mine !

It is possibly the most beautiful car of all ( along with Ferrari 250LM and Maserati 3000S ?)

Alfa Romeo (apparently) are going to make a few more but I fear the price will be out of my reach !

Alfa.

Alfa, I'm glad you had a nice time with your family, but:

'Left the keys in the Alfa for the duration - amazingly no-one nicked it'

Why did you do it??? Insurance would be invalid surely, not to mention the beaurocratic and practical misery you would have gone through if someone had nicked it.

Someones nice car got nicked from a town a few k from here and it's discussed like that place is now the crime capital of Charente Maritime. I always lock my car, and the house too when I go out, or to to bed.

A good question Tresco !

A little risky perhaps but hey ...let's live a little.

We also left the house unlocked most of the time !

We do it because we can (without much fear of loss) and it's extremely uplifting to be able to .

Don't forget - we had travelled from a s..thole (Portsmouth) where we are constantly under threat from one lowlife or another.

I imagine nudists get the same sort of 'buzz' when they take their kit off.

The thing is.....our neighbours are wonderful and (without being nosey or prying) really do look after us and our stuff.

Nothing farts without being noticed and (being good old fashioned Bretons) I think if anyone even looked twice at our belongings the villagers would kill them (and probably eat them !).

Fabulous people !!!

Alfa.

".....Nothing farts without being noticed and (being good old fashioned Bretons) I think if anyone even looked twice at our belongings the villagers would kill them (and probably eat them !)."

Funny really, if that was in England they would be accused of being nosy bluddy curtain shufflers........

[quote]".....Nothing farts without being noticed and (being good old fashioned Bretons) I think if anyone even looked twice at our belongings the villagers would kill them (and probably eat them !)."Funny re...[/quote]

"bluddy curtain shufflers"

Yes, I recall in England ringing up a neighbour (at work) to tell her the car alarm was going off and was told off for ringing up too early (7.30am). Sometimes I think I am from another planet.  I was actually thinking I was doing her a favour so she did not get a flat battery, but no, she thought I was complaining about the noise.  I did not get a chance to explain, she just ranted at me.

We moved.

We cannot have it both ways, you cannot have security without others looking out for you.  Personally I would not mind the neighbour knowing my business, I have nothing to hide at all. Saves paedophiles being rehoused in your street without you knowing.

Georgina

[quote]A good question Tresco ! A little risky perhaps but hey ...let's live a little. We also left the house unlocked most of the time ! We do it because we can (without much fear of loss) and it's extre...[/quote]

**I imagine nudists get the same sort of 'buzz' when they take their kit off.**

Yes we do, but never mind that . . . . Is my plaque up on the house yet????

Hot Wheels

[quote]Southern Britttany or SE England ? erm..........it's a difficult decision !!! You are absolutely right. Life in a Nantes HLM is so much better than in the South Downs.[/quote]

Clark,

I wouldn't think Alfa will know what an HML is, it takes time for the glasses to lose the tint.

Ask the neighbour

English family I know who had recently been quite friendly commented on how outlooks were different. Interestingly enough, they have no job, no income, young child, no health cover, do not integrate, speak a few mumbled words of french.  They think France is marvellous. The best we heard was yes we want to fill our tax forms in but as we really havent earned enough it is probably not worth it

Sticking head in the sand springs to mind, I would love to be around when the bubble bursts!

Deby (17 Charente Maritime)

I don't live in France, and I don't much want to, but I want to stay there for part of the year. The reason being that I can escape the overcrowded SE of England for rural Normandy. Then after a bit I escape the dead calm of rural Normandy for the buzz of SE England...

The SE is claustrophobic in many ways now, especially if you have to commute into London. I'm fortunate that I live in a nice bit of it, but there is still constant traffic, antisocial behaviour, crime etc. In Normandy I can leave my door unlocked (I don't because it blows open) or my keys in the car (I don't because I then spend 10 minutes looking for them before I remember). My neighbour looks out for me so well that she didn't see who it was threw the rock through my window (not her grandsons playing in my garden oh no.) but it FEELS safe and secure.

That said, I can't imagine leaving all my friends, local pub, kids etc. in England and starting again in France with a foreigner's grasp of the language, no mates and no job and being as happy as I am now. Fair do's to those who have, I take my hat off to you, but from what I gather on this and other forums you are in the minority.

[quote]English family I know who had recently been quite friendly commented on how outlooks were different. Interestingly enough, they have no job, no income, young child, no health cover, do not integrate, ...[/quote]

**English family I know who had recently been quite friendly commented on how outlooks were different. Interestingly enough, they have no job, no income, young child, no health cover, do not integrate, speak a few mumbled words of french. They think France is marvellous. **

How DARE they be happy?? What is the matter with them. Personally, I don't think that it is any of my business.

How DARE they be happy?? What is the matter with them. Personally, I don't think that it is any of my business.

Yep, Ray you are absolutely right it isn't really my business, but when someone tells you there is something remiss with my outlook, that is when I am likely to comment about theirs.  Probably did'nt explain that fully with my post.

Deby

[quote]How DARE they be happy?? What is the matter with them. Personally, I don't think that it is any of my business. Yep, Ray you are absolutely right it isn't really my business, but when someone tells...[/quote]

** when someone tells you there is something remiss with my outlook, that is when I am likely to comment about theirs.**

If, or when, this happens to me I merely consider the source and ignore them. It always amazes me how many people seem almost rabid about stepping on someone else's dreams just because of their own cynicism and/or discontent with their own lives. And . . . that is the reason though they would deny it with the same fervor. I am just glad that I don't 'live in their heads;, so to speak.

Thank God for my rose-colored glasses! I can't even imagine how much I would have missed in my life without them. I treasure my Quixotic way of life. Bring on the windmills!!

"I would love to be around when the bubble bursts!"

Yes, that would be handy because they'd most likely need all the help they could get.

Oh, hang on, perhaps that's not what you meant? My trumpy.

Thank God for my rose-colored glasses! I can't even imagine how much I would have missed in my life without them. I treasure my Quixotic way of life. Bring on the windmills!!

The reason I posted this was it frustrates me that people do wear rose-tinted glasses -  we all do to an extent, but being objective is a good thing. I pass my opinion only to make would-be migrators think about what they are doing.  There is nothing more saddening to see families who have their heads in the clouds only for them to fall back down to earth with a serious bump on their heads.  How many times have I heard and used the phrase "if I knew then what I know now I would have been able to do things better." Surely that cannot be a bad or negative thing.

Deby

[quote]Thank God for my rose-colored glasses! I can't even imagine how much I would have missed in my life without them. I treasure my Quixotic way of life. Bring on the windmills!! The reason I posted thi...[/quote]

**The reason I posted this was it frustrates me that people do wear rose-tinted glasses**

I let people run their own lives. Failure is as much a part of life as success is. It is amazing how creative and imaginative people become with their backs to the wall. I speak from experience! If asked for assistance, I enthusiastically help however I can. It is not my place to try to save the world from itself. Thank God!!

There is also a saying - 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained'.

[quote]"....Southern Britttany or SE England ? erm..........it's a difficult decision !!!"Not for thousands upon thousands of French it's not, they are going to the UK in droves, so you really could say it'...[/quote]

Seems these French people leaving for England know something the second home owners/dreamers of a new life in France do not

[quote]Yup, they do, they know that they can find work. Which I'm sure counts for a lot. And those I've met seem to quite like it.[/quote]

They think that well, all those Brits coming over here?, they must like us in England after all. 

Georgina