Why did you leave England?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cjb said "....How many people in their twenties are making the move to France? It seems to me that people of this age are making the move in the opposite direction..."

According to the UK papers and a TV programme last night, the numbers of young French moving to the UK make up quite a substantial percentage in the annual number of immigrants to the UK.

Cjb said ".....By all means knock the UK, but surely it's thanks to the UK system that so many Brits can make their "Dream Move" to France. "Discuss"

The last word let slip that you are indeed from the teaching professsion, more a command than a post on a forum !! Cjb

I agree with what you were saying though.

I can't even claim to still be in my 20's having hit the big 30 last year and rapidly approaching 31!!).

This may appear young to many but I'm sure my daughter will think I'm ancient!!

P.S. - Miki, is the title sown up, or are you waiting till it's a mathematical certainty? I'd like to watch the game tonight, but only have TPS. Are there any German channels showing the game?

As an Ipswich fan, I'm watching my team play out their great escape routine - escaping from the threat of promotion!!

Also known as; Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, I believe

I said some while ago, I am staying pretty quiet, we still need 3 wins at the moment but things can change of course if Arsenal or Man Utd drop more points but at the moment, it is pretty painful walking around with everything crossed !

We don't receive any German channels, well I haven't seen any ! Years ago on Analogue we could pick up quite a few.

Yes, I know what you mean, we thought we had the title won a couple of years ago but drew and lost too many in the final stages when looking quite good.

Val how well you described a vast majority in our french village. Regimented lives is it. There is little to do here.

We had friends here last weekend, and they asked if I would miss this rural life. I really am getting sick of it. I want to live  before I die and here I will stagnate as there isn't enough to do, unless when my husband retires we travel constantly, but why be here and do that.

How different we all are.

Miki, it seems to me you have been going around with everything crossed for months now. Is there not a danger something might drop off?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but haven't many people made the move for financial reasons e.g. it's possible to earn good salaries in the UK, with which you can buy a house, which when sold, will enable you to buy something beyond your dreams in France.

This is certainly true in our case, in terms of the earnings and equity, but we were pretty sensible about the house here, it's dinky, and no pool (but I am plotting, always).

I know we hear the countless wonderful reasons for living in France, but call me a cynic, aren't these sometimes used to cover up for more basic reasons??

Like the factors you mentioned, and I would suggest just Frances proximity to England. I suppose MOH is a Francophile, he really loves France, but he would not deny the basic reasons either.

tresco

[quote]actually asking how to use a broom & does it come with a manual. When I look at the way MOH wields a broom, it has occurred to me that a simple manual would be a VERY good idea. Trying to teac...[/quote]

Hey Tresco...I was being serious...for once...about the broom!! Isn't education a wonderful thing!

My advice to the 30 year old, is to go and experience life a bit more before trying to make such profound statements....especially about sex..I mean really..your balls have only just dropped...haven't they?

Hey Tresco...I was being serious...for once...about the broom!!

Hey Boghound.....so was I.... about MOH not being able to use one!!! He's useless. This one handed technique of his, and he will not be told. But Boggie, what are you doing employing a graduate to sweep up? Hope you aren't paying him too much.

tresco

My advice to the 30 year old, is to go and experience life a bit more before trying to make such profound statements....especially about sex..I mean really..your balls have only just dropped...haven't they?

Dropped but not shrunk... isn't that the next stage?? I don't recall making any comments about sex, having experienced the consequences, I'm loathe to do so!!

On the subject of sex, we were told that this was out of bounds for six weeks after the birth, but surely this only applies to the mother!!

Over the years, I have lived in West Africa, Scandinavia, Turkey and Greece, with brief spell in the UK. I found it difficult to adjust to the UK!

We're like you, Battypuss, and doubt we could ever fit in permanently again. 

Tourangelle asks about age at which people left, I was mid 20s, my OH 16, though back for 3 years uni.  This may explain the above.

Saligobay talks about newspaper readership in France, good point.  Also, it can be hard even finding a national daily in the depths of rural France.  But in my experience the local supplier will always order and keep one for you. 

M

Tresco said "....Miki, it seems to me you have been going around with everything crossed for months now. Is there not a danger something might drop off?"

Something nearly did last night, luckily the final whistle came just in time

• 2 months later...

[quote]Over the years, I have lived in West Africa, Scandinavia, Turkey and Greece, with brief spell in the UK. I found it difficult to adjust to the UK! I could have gone anywhere really, I suppose with onl...[/quote]

Sadly, Battypuss has decamped to the UK

Been so busy these last few days, missed out of a few gossips and tidbits, so am re-emerging enfin. Somebody mentioned their OH's inability to hold a broom and so on. You know, Ladies, not all of us Men are that inept at travaux ménagers. OK I don't do much I must admit, but I insist on 'passer l'aspirateur' everyday, yes yes, je le passe tous les jours...a ma femme !

My advise is try it what do you have to loose?

We did, we wanted to try something new at 40 years old before it was to late and life had passed us by very quickly as it does!! My husband is now registred to work and I am a lady of leisure, I have trained our balck labrador over the past 14 months which has filled much of my time, but I have to say that life has now become a little boring and I need a new challange, but not another puppy!!!  After a fast moving life in England the changes take a little getting used too.

However empty roads, endless countryside with safe walking for me and the dog alone, rivers, lakes, mountains, birds singing and lovely neighbours help the days to pass by nicely.  We have no complaints.

However we have always said it may not be for ever, but we will have tried and hopefully achieved.

Take the plunge and enjoy.

Hazel