Bah Humbug!

The Christmas lights have been up in our village for a week now, about three weeks earlier than last year. I don't get out much - is this widespread or has our mayor just decided to fill himself with the festive spirit (makes a change from the turps he is reputed to usually drink) early this year?

Along the same lines, some residents of our commune have taken it upon themselves to cover their roofs with gigantic santas, reindeer, sleighs, etc - all in the best possible taste, of course, and guaranteed to put me in a skull-cracking humour in very short order. Do they need permission for this? Are any safety checks made - after all, high winds could cause them to come adrift and crown a passing sheep, or something. I don't mind these things in the proper place and time (well, I do, but I keep quiet about it), but Decemeber is not yet upon us.

I'd go and ask up at the Mairie, but A) the fire is nice and warm, and; 2) I don't quite feel up to facing Sophie (clerk to the Mairie), who breakfasts on broken glass and wears barbed wire next to the skin, and generally plays the Snake in our little corner of Eden. While she is highly efficient, her loathing of the human race in general (not a shread of discrimination in our Soph - she doles out bile in equal measure irrespective of age, race, creed, disability or sexual orientation) is somewhat off-putting.

All the shopping centers here have the Xmas lights up and the Xmas decor out.  All those tempting chocolate boxes on display.  So far have not seen the Santa's and Reindeer on roofs, but its early yet... 

I have to admit, after doing some Xmas shopping at Auchan (HATE to shop in Dec.), with all the Xmas music and Xmas shopping, I came home and unpacked the interior Xmas decor.  House looks quite festive now, but no, we don't have the roof top "stuff."  Here, it would surely blow to kingdome come (no pun intended).

[quote]All the shopping centers here have the Xmas lights up and the Xmas decor out. All those tempting chocolate boxes on display. So far have not seen the Santa's and Reindeer on roofs, but its early yet...[/quote]

This is the root of my concern (honest!). It is no accident that wind farms are being planned around here, and showers of roofing tiles are not uncommon. One of our (fortunately not too near, beacause I wouldn't want it landing on me) neighbours had a TWENTY FOOT long animated santa / sleigh arrangement last year, and I am practically certain that it was held in place with duck tape.

I find it incredible that in an area where changing the colour of a front door from off-white to cream requires forms in triplicate, the palcement of unbelievably tacky and potentially dangerous items on a house roof would not require at least a public enquiry (preferably one that the applicant had to pay for).

Our street lights went up a week ago, only alternate bulbs along the wire for some strange reason, so we will be 50% festive  

I think we have the sister of your mayors secretary, having asked for what we needed, in French, clearly and consisely,  she said " je ne comprend pas".  WHY didn't you understand??  After three consecutive visits, we almost got a smile, almost..........kisses on the cheek next time ? 

We were jokingly having bets on who would be the first in the village to put up their decs, then we realised we were on a loser `cos one family never took theirs down!

Mrs O   who smugly bought some festive cheer on Thursday........Advent calendars

[quote]We were jokingly having bets on who would be the first in the village to put up their decs, then we realised we were on a loser `cos one family never took theirs down! Mrs O who smugly bought some ...[/quote]

Oh rat's teeth! I thought my personal record of 13 weeks positively observed would prove tough to beat, but an entire year....

[quote]The Christmas lights have been up in our village for a week now, about three weeks earlier than last year. I don't get out much - is this widespread or has our mayor just decided to fill himself with ...[/quote]

What you might need to remember is that putting up Christmas lights is a job for an artisan. Thus, for this years lights the work would have needed to have been booked in 1973 (to get it done in time for this Christmas). With these sort of lead times it is bound to be difficult to get the work carried out to such a precise schedule.

In fact I’m surprised the artisan concerned actually ran out of excuses and ended up having to do the work. I suspect that whilst the job would have been booked in 1973, the “delivery date” was probably 1996 and thus the work has just been completed.

[quote]All the shopping centers here have the Xmas lights up and the Xmas decor out. All those tempting chocolate boxes on display. So far have not seen the Santa's and Reindeer on roofs, but its early yet...[/quote]

Sorry, nothing to do with France, but I'm sat here scratching my head looking for the pun!

David (Aude 11 and Oxfordshire)

In the US in some states it is becoming illegal to say Merry Christmas or anything to do with the various religious ceremonies that have been added to the winter solstice over the years - they just have to say 'happy holidays'. Parents are not even allowed to have red and green napkins for the school 'holiday' party. One Synagogue and Church had enough and had a Honukamass (?sp) market for charity.

I personally ignore Christmas - it is not my birthday so why should I get presents, I am not a Christian so why should I celebrate BUT before you think I am a total moron ( as distinct from the partial moron you all know I am) I will be sending chickens, pigs or some other domestic animals to those that need them far more than I on behalf of good friends who have helped and cheered me through the year. It is my Winter Solstice present to those in need via those I love.

We are slowly buying the things for our 'BIG' birthdays - John next April and me the Jan after. His first present - the US fridge - was delivered and damaged this week but as we know the shop well and the damage is a plastic pipe and not anything disastrous I know it will be solved so we are not at all worried.

The important thing is whatever you do, inflatable Santa or giant reindeer - have a wonderful time and enjoy in good health and happiness. We moved here to get away from light pollution so are grateful that our hamlet is far to small to even have a street light let alone anything else to disturb the owls and this family Humbug.

There was a storm in a teacup, that was blown up Daily Mail style about Walmart advertising "Happy Holidays" rather than Christmas.

The 'official' line was that they did not want to exclude anyone (from spending money? ) eg other religions during the holiday season- I think this is just capitalism at its worst.

[quote]There was a storm in a teacup, that was blown up Daily Mail style about Walmart advertising "Happy Holidays" rather than Christmas. The 'official' line was that they did not want to exclude anyone (...[/quote]

"The 'official' line was that they did not want to exclude anyone (from spending money? ) eg other religions during the holiday season- I think this is just capitalism at its worst."

It does sometimes appear that Christmas has descended into a consumer frenzy in which the spending of anything less than the gross national product of Peru on plastic tat, fatty food and alcohol somehow brands one as a "scrooge", "meanie" or "party pooper."

This is, of course, quite erroneous. Christmas is not just about hopes for World Peace, the birth of Christ or family & friends. One should also consider those less fortunate than oneself - the retailers. For example, think to the plight of Mr P.Green of Monoco, down to his last few hundred million and having to consider cutting back on the foie gras and beluga caviar toasties for his polo ponies. Or David Reid, chaiman of that small family corner shop, Tesco, and how much his share options need your cash more than you do.

I love the bit of Christmas that goes from the morning of the 24th to the evening of the 26th. The rest of it I find very trying. I appreciate that nothing short of global catastrophe is ever going to bring back the simple family Chritmas, but this year we're actually going to try making at least some presents rather than just buying everything (in my case this is always a blind panic around Dec 23rd). I'm probably irrational, but this feels like a step in the right direction.

I do agree about making your own presents, if time and ability allow.  Here are some ideas:

Hem a hankie

embrioder a pair of slippers

make a pipe holder

Tee hee 

But truly, edible goodies are nice as presents:

Jam or pickles

home made mince pies

home made brandy butter (or your preferred alcohol)

little cakes or petits fours

or knitting, crochet, rag rugs, scented candles 

- But life is too short to stuff a date, methinks.

You can tell that I am yearning for a gentler era with time for all these handicrafts.  What's the betting that once I finally get to France, I shall be too busy working to do any of the above!

Loopy Lou (aka Bah humbug!)

[quote]There was a storm in a teacup, that was blown up Daily Mail style about Walmart advertising "Happy Holidays" rather than Christmas. The 'official' line was that they did not want to exclude anyone (...[/quote]

Does my addled mind serve me right if I say that Holiday is derived from Holy Day? I suppose happy holy day is a bit more encompassing than happy Christmas but.......

Does my addled mind serve me right if I say that Holiday is derived from Holy Day? I suppose happy holy day is a bit more encompassing than happy Christmas but.......